Top Ten Things Professors Do To Skew You

husker

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 01:53 pm
IWF has created a new ad campaign on college campuses to raise awareness of left-wing bias among college professors. The ad has run in campus newspapers at schools including Columbia, Harvard, Princeton, University of Arizona, University of Chicago, Tufts, UCLA, UC-Berkley, Bucknell, and Dartmouth.

All statistics are taken from a nationwide survey by American Viewpoint commissioned by the Independent Women's Forum (IWF). Over a four-day period in December 2003, IWF conducted an Internet study of the attitudes and political ideologies of today's college students. 727 Internet surveys were collected from a nationally representative sample of men and women between the ages of 18 and 24 providing insight into the 2004 Presidential Election, George W. Bush's job performance, and ideological diversity in the classroom.

I. THEY PUSH THEIR POLITICAL VIEWS -- 70% of students surveyed say their professors express their political views in class.

"How often do your professors express their political views during class?"

8% Often
62% Sometimes
25% Never
3% Don't Know
1% No Answer

II. LIBERAL OPINIONS DOMINATE -- More than one-third of students describe their professors as either somewhat or extremely liberal.

"On political issues, do you consider your professors to be Very Liberal, Somewhat Liberal, Moderate, Somewhat Conservative or Very Conservative?"

12% Very Liberal
25% Somewhat Liberal
26% Moderate
11% Somewhat Conservative
3% Very Conservative
22% Don't Know
2% No Answer
37% TOTAL LIBERAL
14% TOTAL CONSERVATIVE

III. THEY DON'T PRESENT BOTH SIDES OF THE DEBATE -- 42% of students report political discussions in the classroom lean to a leftist point of view, with only 18% saying they hear the conservative side of an issue. There is nothing balanced about this kind of education.

"When politics are discussed during class, does the discussion tend to be about more conservative viewpoints or more liberal viewpoints?"

18% Conservative
43% Liberal
37% Don't Know
2% Refused

IV. CONSERVATIVE VIEWPOINTS ARE PRACTICALLY NON-EXISTENT -- Only 13% of students can describe their professors as conservative. When you enrolled in college, were you expecting to only get half the story?

"On political issues, do you consider your professors to be Very Liberal, Somewhat Liberal, Moderate, Somewhat Conservative or Very Conservative?"

12% Very Liberal
25% Somewhat Liberal
26% Moderate
11% Somewhat Conservative
3% Very Conservative
22% Don't Know
2% No Answer
37% TOTAL LIBERAL
14% TOTAL CONSERVATIVE

V. THEY FORCE YOU TO CHECK YOUR INTELLECTUAL HONESTY AT THE DOOR -- 31% of students report having to do an assignment which forced them to take a philosophical position they were uncomfortable with. Professors are using their influence as "teacher" to teach you what to think, not how to think.

"Have you ever had an assignment which required you to take a philosophical position you were uncomfortable with?"

31% Yes
63% No
4% Don't Know
2% No Answer

VI. THEY MAKE YOU UNCOMFORTABLE IF THEY DISAGREE -- Nearly one-third of students say they are uncomfortable expressing their opinions in class if they differ from their professor's point of view.

"How comfortable are you expressing your political views during class where your views differ from the professor's views?

23% Very Comfortable
34% Somewhat Comfortable
21% Somewhat Uncomfortable
11% Very Uncomfortable
8% Don't Know
3% No Answer

VII. THEY USE THEIR POWER OVER YOUR GRADE TO INFLUENCE YOU -- 16% of students say they fear their grade could suffer for disagreeing with a professor's political point of view.

"Have you ever been afraid your grade would suffer in a class for disagreeing with a professor's political point of view?"

16% Yes
76% No
6% Don't Know
2% No Answer

VIII. THEY HINDER OPEN AND HONEST DISCUSSION -- One-quarter of students say they are afraid to speak up in class if they don't agree with a professor. Professors should welcome debate, not stifle it.

"Have you ever been afraid to speak up in class because you did not agree with a professor's political point of view?"

23% Yes
63% No
4% Don't Know
2% No Answer

IX. THEY ARE OUT OF TOUCH -- Only 24% of students report their professors have the same viewpoints on issues as they do.

"Do you feel your professors are more conservative than you are, more liberal than you are, or is their ideology about the same as yours?"

19% More Conservative
30% More Liberal
24% About the same
25% Don't Know
2% No Answer

X. THEY DON'T IDENTIFY WITH YOU -- 32% of students identify themselves as Democrat and 29% identify as Republican. But the overall ratio of Democrat to Republican registered faculty at 32 elite schools was more than 10 to 1.*

"Generally speaking, do you think of yourself as a Republican, Democrat, or Independent?"

29% Republican
32% Democrat
18% Independent
5% Other
12% Don't Know
4% No Answer

*This fact was derived from David Horowitz and Eli Lehrer's study conducted by the Center for the Study of Popular Culture. The study looked at voter registration of more than 4000 faculty members at 32 elite colleges and universities. The overall ration of registered Democrats to Republican was 10 to 1 (1397 Democrat, 134 Republican). For more information on this study, please refer to www.studentsforacademicfreedom.org.

Source of Article
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 4,756 • Replies: 65
No top replies

nimh

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 02:34 pm
Re: Top Ten Things Professors Do To Skew You
Should some professors suffer from bias, the IWF does most certainly, too.

This is already immediately clear from the presentation of these results.

One striking example:

husker wrote:
VII. THEY USE THEIR POWER OVER YOUR GRADE TO INFLUENCE YOU -- 16% of students say they fear their grade could suffer for disagreeing with a professor's political point of view.

"Have you ever been afraid your grade would suffer in a class for disagreeing with a professor's political point of view?"

16% Yes
76% No

Note: three out of four students polled said they didn't ever worry about their Professor grading them lower over their political views.

Only one out of six students was afraid of this happening, at all.

Yet the IWF headlines this with: "THEY USE THEIR POWER OVER YOUR GRADE TO INFLUENCE YOU".

Note also: even the above-mentioned number doesn't mean it actually happens in one out of six cases. It means only that one in six students is afraid it might happen. So that includes the naturally distrustful and insecure, etc, as well as those who actually had good reason for their unease.

Still not done with this one, because note, furthermore: the question actually asks whether the student had ever been afraid of this happening. Ever - at any point in time during their college experience. Any professor amongst the many they must have had.

So - one in six students has, among the many professors they've met, encountered at least one at some point in time that gave them the feeling that he might just let their views get in the way of their grade.

Three-quarters of students has never encountered any professor who made them feel they might behave unprofessionally that way.

Yet the IWF insists that "THEY USE THEIR POWER OVER YOUR GRADE TO INFLUENCE YOU"".

That's just tendentious.

And you can apply the same kind of analysis to a host of other questions reported here.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 02:38 pm
Thanks, nimh.

(I agree wholeheartedly.)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 02:47 pm
And what on earth is wrong with "an assignment which requires you to take a philosophical position you are uncomfortable with"?

Imagine if you were only trained in arguing positions you already had anyway! What would you learn? How would you develop any critical thinking skills?

Challenging people only by making them defend their own POV merely solidifies horizons, stifles critical self-reflection and innovation (you can see that here when a Politics thread goes sore). We can only gain new insights and learn to understand the Other if we try to imagine what the world looks like through his eyes every once in a while, too, if we try on a different perspective for a change.

Its funny - on the one hand, the survey calls for more debate in the classroom, a freeer exploration of different opinions - but on the other hand, it insists that a student should never be asked to explore any other POV than the one he's already taken.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 03:08 pm
Quote:
IFW Mission
The Independent Women's Forum is dedicated to advancing the spirit of enterprise and self-reliance among women, and supporting the principles of political freedom, economic liberty, and personal responsibility.

So the point in the Mission vs the Survey to Women is????
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 03:36 pm
husker wrote:
Quote:
IFW Mission
The Independent Women's Forum is dedicated to advancing the spirit of enterprise and self-reliance among women, and supporting the principles of political freedom, economic liberty, and personal responsibility.

So the point in the Mission vs the Survey to Women is????

Not sure about your question - what exactly you're asking, I mean.

But an impartisan, merely charitative organisation the IFW is not.

I mean, I'd prefer to just leave my criticism of the survey (or the way it's presented, in any case) up there on its own merits - just so its clear that the way these conclusions are presented deserve debunking, period, no matter who's "behind" it.

But in response to one of Timber's posts I did look up some stuff about them once that also confirmed this was an organisation with a strong political agenda.

The Independent Women's Forum is what the Village Voice calls (and I'm taking this from their own website) "a sleek, conservative spin machine". Among its Directors Emeritae is Lynne V. Cheney, the Vice President's wife. Chairman of their National Advisory Board is Christina Hoff Sommers, Author of The War Against Boys & Who Stole Feminism, Resident Scholar at the (neo-conservative) American Enterprise Institute. Also on their board are Elaine Chao, Secretary of Labor; Elaine Donnelly of the Center for Military Readiness; Laura Ingraham, Author of The Hillary Trap; Kate O'Beirne of the National Review; Pat Ware of the Presidential Advisory Council on HIV/AIDS; and three more people from the American Enterprise Institute.

Its very much a strident, political vehicle.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 04:06 pm
This survey could also be embarassingly interpreted to mean that a larger percentage of conservative minds are not smart enough to be come professors.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 04:48 pm
This poll is full of crap!

The analysis reflects the viewpoint of the writer (IWF). The poll resposes do not.

Look at the difference between the analysis and the actual questions asked.

Quote:

II. THEY DON'T PRESENT BOTH SIDES OF THE DEBATE -- 42% of students report political discussions in the classroom lean to a leftist point of view, with only 18% saying they hear the conservative side of an issue. There is nothing balanced about this kind of education.

"When politics are discussed during class, does the discussion tend to be about more conservative viewpoints or more liberal viewpoints?"

The question asks about which viewpoint "tends" to be discussed. The 43% who answered liberal did not at all say that they didn't hear the consevative viewpoint expressed.

Quote:

THEY FORCE YOU TO CHECK YOUR INTELLECTUAL HONESTY AT THE DOOR -- 31% of students report having to do an assignment which forced them to take a philosophical position they were uncomfortable with. Professors are using their influence as "teacher" to teach you what to think, not how to think.

"Have you ever had an assignment which required you to take a philosophical position you were uncomfortable with?"

Being "required" to take a philosophical position you were uncomfortable with is not the same as being tought "what to think, not how to think".

Quote:

THEY MAKE YOU UNCOMFORTABLE IF THEY DISAGREE -- Nearly one-third of students say they are uncomfortable expressing their opinions in class if they differ from their professor's point of view.

"How comfortable are you expressing your political views during class where your views differ from the professor's views?

The fact that a student feels uncomfortable does not mean the professor is "making" them feel uncomfortable

Need I go on?

This poll is pure sensationalist propaganda. It does not say anything about whether professors "skew" you or not.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 05:18 pm
Well this is a no-brainer. Any kind of teaching career is more likely to be appeal to a liberal because a liberal is less likely to be concerned about making a pile of money. A liberal is far more likely to work in a service field like education.

The end point of this kind of polling is to show that "we need to" make colleges more conservative so that they are more fair. I'd LOVE to see a poll of how many CEO's can be considered liberal.

In fact, maybe when the American Viewpoint can statistically show that 50% of all the CEO's in the United States are liberals, then I think we can start to examine how many professors are as well. Let's also be sure that liberals get half of all the jobs performed by police and the military.

Just so you know who you're dealing with, here's something straight from the "American Viewpoint" webpage:

Quote:
Strategic Consulting
With more than 100 years (from a company begun in 1985) of campaign experience, you get more than just numbers from American Viewpoint. Our analysts work with you and other consultants, as a part of your strategic team to help craft, test and implement your message so that you win your race, successfully launch your product or win your legislative battle.

Survey Research
Survey research, the most often used type of research, allows you to gather data from a sample of the universe that can then be applied to the entire population. Using quantitative or survey research, you are able to obtain numerous close ended questions such as favorable vs. unfavorable, approve vs. disapprove, favor vs oppose, or multiple choice questions.

Whatever your survey research needs are, American Viewpoint can design and field a questionnaire that will obtain the data you need to successfully run for public office; pass a referendum or initiative; learn more about your association's membership; influence legislation; test a marketing strategy; or launch a new product.

<goes away, shaking head>
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 05:43 pm
Nicely done! Laughing
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 05:50 pm
how ridiculous
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 05:52 pm
Wow, that's an amazing quote, Piffka. Shocked
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 05:54 pm
It could be that most who end up being professors have little or no other marketable skills.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 06:03 pm
It could be when the best marketable skills are how to screw the most people out of their money...
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 06:07 pm
Most people with marketable skills are honest IMO.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 06:12 pm
Totally agree with Piffka on liberal professors versus conservative CEOs and officers, and the "fairness" of it all. Good, sobre take. Wish I'd come up with it myself - I'm often too 'close up' to be able to place the whole thing in perspective like that.

Don't agree, on an aside, on the interpretation of the quote from American Viewpoint. Now I know nothing of AV, and your suspicions may well be right. But the quote, though it sounds "meaningful", isn't, because the only reason it sounds meaningful is the choice of where you start and end the bold font. For example, try to read it like this:

Quote:
Survey Research

Whatever your survey research needs are, American Viewpoint can design and field a questionnaire that will obtain the data you need to successfully run for public office ; pass a referendum or initiative; learn more about your association's membership; influence legislation; test a marketing strategy; or launch a new product.

Whether you want to place a new brand in the market or win an election, the first thing you need is data. What is your target group? What are its priorities? What message will it be sensitive to? Who is out there?

In order to have success running an election or advertizing campaign, that's what you need to know. Polling agencies provide you the data you need in order to hone your message succesfully - "the data you need to successfully run for public office", for example. Nothing inherently sinister there.

That on an aside. And AV may well be a crooked or "buyable" pollster, I wouldnt know. But its not the data in the post above that sound implausible to me - its the spin the IWF is giving them in its mendacious presentation.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 06:13 pm
Hi Sozobe. Yeah, that quote was pretty telling, wasn't it?

Thanks Suzy... Who'd have thought they'd be so blatant?

Yeah, OK, Nimh... I was playing around with them, but I've determined that for the next few months I'm not accepting ANY statistics without a real good reason. Everything is suspect!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 06:15 pm
Brand X wrote:
It could be that most who end up being professors have little or no other marketable skills.

It could be that becoming a Professor shows you do have marketable skills.

Bloody hard it is. And earns well. Competitive marketplace, the good ones are bought away by rival universities - all that. And some universities are of course commercial enterprises, anyhow. <shrugs>
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 06:26 pm
True. A good professor is worth his weight in gold. I recently saw one of mine again after a long hiatus... still just as riveting a speaker, still as full of enthusiasm, information and intelligence.

Nimh, I hope you saw that I edited my post (just not quite soon enough) to agree with you that I was probably being grossly unfair to American Viewpoint. Grossly unfair and how sweet it is!

(I'm learning from Kerry how to fight dirty. It doesn't come naturally to a liberal!)
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 06:28 pm
The purpose of a Liberal Arts education is to challenge the accepted world view of the student and introduce new and often uncomfortable points of view. It seems to me that the underlying assumption of this poll is that a university or college education should be little more than upscale trade school training. If that is the case save your time and money and read an encyclopedia. It has more facts then you will ever need and you will be center of attention at any cocktail party.
0 Replies