Since we're on the subject of Scotland...

Piffka

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 05:09 pm
Well, I dunno, McTag. I just typed what it said in my little Oxford book, revised, it says in 1998 from a 1995 edition. I just supposed they were an authority, :wink: but it is just one fella's opinion (and English, Shocked fer a' that). As it happens, the entire phrase is:
Quote:
Scotch Pine (Scots Fir)

(Note the Scotch to Scots change.)

So they certainly are agreeing with you in the main. Interestingly, a Gaelic friend and forester from Leanachan referred to these as "Caley Pines" or Caledonian Pines. From what I've seen, they're all variations of Pinus Sylvestris except for the New Caledonian Pine which is something entirely different.

This photo is entitled Caledonian Forest Remnant.
http://www.geoffdore1.com/images/calforest-remnant2.jpg

It looks like Walter has the same critter (Much nicer picture than mine, Walter!).
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 01:27 am
Well, you erudite folks have me there. I didn't know the Scots pine had another name.

I think though, that Walter's picture does not quite do the tree justice: the specimen types one sees gowing in estates and also up in Speyside where I remember them in the Rothiemurchus area where we used to go, are more impressive, and a little more reminiscent of a cedar in the way the branches form.

(The Latin genus name pinus indicates a pine tree, and the German word Kiefer means "pine", btw.)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 01:44 am
Okay, here we go, McTag:
a more cedar-like Scots Pine

http://www.isleoflismore.com/florafauna/photos/trees/scots-pine.jpg

Canty Pace!
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 01:53 am
Or this?
http://www.treesforlife.org.uk/images/scots_pine_spring.jpg
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 02:23 am
Well done, Walter and Bill, those look a bit better

Ein Fichtenbaum steht einsam,
In Norden auf kahler Hoeh'....
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 03:25 am
Ich spreche nicht Deutsches... und wie kennen Sie es sind einsam oder wo?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 09:16 am
Bill, the pictures of the trees standing singly reminded me of a poem by Heinrich Heine which I learned at my German class, a poem which mentions a spruce tree in the North, dreaming of a palm tree in the East, and which is an allegorical reference to the differences, and connections, between the major religions (I think.)

Forgive me, I did not mean to seem too mysterious; I put it in merely to amuse my friend, Walter.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 09:31 am
McTag wrote:
I put it in merely to amuse my friend, Walter.

Who wasn't amused but full of admiration and respect for your knowlege of German poetry [thanks to Goethe Institut :wink: ].
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 11:18 am
McTag wrote:
Forgive me, I did not mean to seem too mysterious; I put it in merely to amuse my friend, Walter.
Embarrassed That sounds like I offended you, or mistakenly suggested you offended me. I'm sorry if my translation didn't come out as humorous. That was my intent. I thought I said: "I don't speak German... and how do you know it is lonely or where?" as a joke, though obviously not very funny. I apologize for any confusion. Embarrassed Bill
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 11:40 am
Bill, those two may be in sleep mode, but I don't think McT was offended. He and Walter have been buddies a while and part of the London a2k group that met last summer so there's always a lot of extra chatting. Very Happy

You found a gorgeous tree... is that in Scotland?

Walter -- the Goethe Institut(e) is where my daughter took classes in London; her school rented rooms there.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 12:01 pm
Correct Piffka, I wasn't offended, but I wanted to apologise for branching out into another language in which I guessed everyone present wasn't fluent: rather rude perhaps, but I'm glad no-one thought it so.

Goethe-Institut: these are to be found all round the world, although sadly in fewer places than heretofore. My branch, which I attended for a few years, was in Manchester (and before that, in Glasgow, which also rejoices in the title of the Scottish-German Friendship Society). Many, including the Manchester one, have been closed as an economy measure...but not before I learned some poetry! The London one, which your daughter knows, is still there of course.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 12:06 pm
McTag wrote:
My branch, which I attended for a few years, was in Manchester.

And since I inspected both the institute there as well as McTag's capability of German poetry and prose:

an excellent branch, especially re teachers and students! (And that's meant really honest :wink: )
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 01:10 pm
OH! You are awake! Nice that you think I might be fluent auf Deutsch... I'm not but don't mind looking up words. It was a good quote.

And Bill, there you go, those two are as sweet natured as Scottish Shortbread Wink and Schwartwälderkirschtorte.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 01:36 pm
Observed and noted, party on!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 01:39 pm
Preferring shortbread

http://www.britishdelights.com/images/assorted.jpg

to Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte

http://www.breisgau-schwarzwald.de/images_lenzkirch/lz-swkirsch_small.JPG

(heh, Piffka, from where did you get the umlaut on your keyboard :wink: )
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 02:09 pm
walter : i believe you can get the "umlaut" as a download from windows; haven't tried it, but a friend in germany uses it regularly and told me my lettering must come from the american version of windows (which it does). hbg
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 02:33 pm
Walter: you can grab an array of unusual characters by clicking start>programs>Accessories>System Tools>Character Map. Or, for more commonly used characters; you can get them by holding down the ALT Key and typing a designated 3 or 4 digit number. For instance;
ä = Alt 132
Ä = Alt 142
There is a more complete map here.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 02:41 pm
The easier way, hamburger, is using shortcuts, here:
"Codes for characters in normal text"

like described on this website

(I've printed it and can now easily write " µ " - still not knowing if it is 3.1417 or something similar :wink: )
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 03:19 pm
walter : was this supposed to come out as an umlaut ? it didn't (it came up as a "u" with a lower extension up-front ???) . i wonder what it will look like having crossed the atlantic twice. this is what showed up here "I've printed it and can now easily write " µ " - still not knowing if it is 3.1417 or something similar. standardization is still not perfect ! HAPPY EASTER in the meantime (ehbeth and doggies arrived yesterday and are being spoiled by mrs. h - without john, they don't believe in good-friday in ohio, or so it seems . so poor john can't feast with us over the weekend, poor guy). hbg).
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 03:32 pm
µ= Alt+230 (or Alt+ 0181 using Walter's Map, they do the same thing on my keyboard) type the numbers on the number side of the Keyboard while holding down the Alt key. Isn't that easier?
0 Replies