Why is it so important to refute Christianity?

dlowan

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 06:40 am
Hmmm - yes. Though I worked with a Seventh Day Adventist who used to drive us nuts - he knew no reality outside his church reality, so he had no idea the constant god stuff was difficult for everyone else - THAT got discussed in the end.

And I have worked with an Anglican monk - also trained as a social worker - but his religion was so refeened - he was a VERY upper class fella - middle name was actually Dalrymple - that his religion was almost invisible - I think he saw god and such as one of the chaps - the same chaps who run the big companies, or universities, or conservative governments - sort of a chap you'd gone to school with - only he was the head prefect when you were just a new chap....and you still looked up to him...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 06:42 am
Nice chap, though - in a sort of Father Dear Father sort of way (British reference alert...)
0 Replies

Deborah B

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 07:00 am
I would only ever make a comment to religious people if they persisted in shoving it down my throat.[/quote]

For myself I have found that the best way let people know what God is doing for me is through my actions. I know that when people rammed God down my throat it only choked me and I found myself gasping for breath and then recoiling. I am not the kind of person who is persuaded easily by the rhetoric of others. What appeals to me is when a person's beliefs and actions match...and they go about their lives living the Spirit in and around them.

God doesn't ram Himself down anyone's throat. He has an open invitation to everyone and it is actually anyone's to accept or deny. But once I make the choice the consequences are mine. And that is the hard thing I think for some people to accept. I used to treat my relationship with God like I did some of the horrible babysitters we had when we were kids. They would state the boundaries and then I would act out in every way I could to challenge them...like they had something that they had to prove to me. But actually they were just put there to take care of me. All my God challenges over the years for me I think have been about finding out where the boundaries are and then adjusting to the knowledge once I find it. Sometimes I am really willing and able. And with other things I struggle and am just a little bit defiant. God expects that from us I think. We are human and curious and like things best when they are concrete and visible. My relationship with God encourages me to push beyond my human limitations to look at things a different way. I don't get beaten into it or shoved into it. It is an evolution that comes with time , trust and faith,

Of course this is just one woman's experience. Yours may be different.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 07:07 am
The people in my office often get carried away in their coversations about ghosts, Ouija Boards, GOD, saying, "It's got to be by the Bible -", "Such and such's ghost did that to (specify person of the moment)", "Don't let a Ouija Board into the same room with me or mine -"
I let them ramble on, until they address me directly, and then answer their queries as openly as I know how. They don't approach me that often after the first few times.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 07:27 am
Two comment re the above page:

dlowan wrote:
......... I worked with a Seventh Day Adventist who used to drive us nuts - he knew no reality outside his church reality........

I makes little sense to me that anyone who believes the whole nine yards of whatever church's creed, could even consider not dedicating their every waking minute to this deity, if it is real for them; anything else would be 'sacriledge' in my view!
I am amazed at the hypocracy of people stating deeply seated beliefs, and then turning around, and going off to work putting it all on 'hold' until sunday rolls around again, or it comes time to eat, and 'grace' must be said, etc. etc.

Secondly, as a fervent non-believer, i see only two possible ends to my life:
nothing, which is what i expect, and what i am totally convinced is 'the' reality.
or 'hell' - since my definition of 'hell' is simply at that point, finding out that i was wrong! (no fire or brimstone required)

[and i hasten to point out, that i would not wish to participate in a 'heaven' in which all this inane nonsense is 'true'!!]
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 07:33 am
Blimey! We're damn MONKEYS!!! (Of a sort)

We can't keep our li'l flea brains on anything for more than a moment - eternal life or not!!!!
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 07:35 am
for ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever,.........oh, MAN!!!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 07:37 am
and ever
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 07:39 am
whatever?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 07:42 am
LOL!

it is like we all sort of pretend we aren't gonna die - you'd think THAT would be at the front of our minds, wouldn't you?

I used to find it sort of weird, when I was a kid and a christian, about how everyone ignored religion in daily life
it was a sort of sunday thing

I think it is a lot mor ethan that for a lot of A2k christian folk - or maybe Murricans are more intense about religion generally? on average?
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 07:51 am
Quote:
I am amazed at the hypocracy of people stating deeply seated beliefs, and then turning around, and going off to work putting it all on 'hold' until sunday rolls around again, or it comes time to eat, and 'grace' must be said, etc. etc.

I would agree 100%. Anyone who is a Sunday only Christian would lead me to doubt the sincerity of their faith. But it seems this puts all Christians in a no-win situation. It has been stated here that we are looked down upon if we talk about our faith, and then we are called hypocrites if we don't. I am getting so confused now. Do you want us talking to you of our faith or are we to shut up except when at church with other believers?

I am not trying to be facetious here, just trying to understand. It sounds as though at least you would expect us to talk about our faith and would have no problem discussing our faith, yet so many others here talk about how they hate Christians who talk about their faith and how it applies to our everyday lives.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 07:56 am
no, no, no, coastal;
don't "talk" about it - DO IT!!!!!

(why are you not in Iraq, helping to demonstrate that 'your' god is a loving god unwilling to kill in the name of freedom - or some other worthwhile witness activity; don't want to put words in your mouth)
0 Replies

Deborah B

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 07:58 am
As a Christian woman I am learning that there are those who see it as a Sunday thing (probably raised to see it as a Sunday thing...I distinctly remember going to church as a kid and on the way home my dad would be batting us in the head for misbehaving in the car) but I encounter more and more Christians who see it as a way of being.

Christianity for me is mainstream. I am inspired by Christian music brought into the 21st century by some wonderful artists who make Christ alive for me through music. There are Christian coffee houses with excellent activities, great coffee and good food open to the public that provide opportunity to life the Christian life out in the world.

And of course there are the many opportunities to take my Christian self out into the world with me every time I leave my church, the safety of my home and the comfort of my Christian friends. Being a Christian is not a disease that one goes to church for on Sunday for treatment. If that is what it is for some than I'm not sure that they know what the purpose of religion in their lives really is.

For me it is a source of strength and inspiration to move beyond my limitations. It is a well I go to constantly for nourishment and knowledge. What if I only ate once a week. I wouldn't thrive too much.

Just one woman's experience. Yours may be different.
0 Replies

Deborah B

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 07:59 am
As a Christian woman I am learning that there are those who see it as a Sunday thing (probably raised to see it as a Sunday thing...I distinctly remember going to church as a kid and on the way home my dad would be batting us in the head for misbehaving in the car) but I encounter more and more Christians who see it as a way of being.

Christianity for me is mainstream. I am inspired by Christian music brought into the 21st century by some wonderful artists who make Christ alive for me through music. There are Christian coffee houses with excellent activities, great coffee and good food open to the public that provide opportunity to life the Christian life out in the world.

And of course there are the many opportunities to take my Christian self out into the world with me every time I leave my church, the safety of my home and the comfort of my Christian friends. Being a Christian is not a disease that one goes to church for on Sunday for treatment. If that is what it is for some than I'm not sure that they know what the purpose of religion in their lives really is.

For me it is a source of strength and inspiration to move beyond my limitations. It is a well I go to constantly for nourishment and knowledge. What if I only ate once a week. I wouldn't thrive too much.

Just one woman's experience. Yours may be different.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 08:29 am
Thank you for clarifying that Bogowo. So your desire is that we not talk about our faith but live it. The problem I think we will both agree on is that many "Christians" are not living examples of their faith in Christ. I agree many are not. First, you need to seperate Christians from church-goers. A majority of Americans claim to be Christian, but of that majority very few attend church more than a few times per year. They do not live the Christian life because they don't have a true personal relationship with Christ. (I am being general here as I realize that not going to church does not always mean the person has no relationship with Christ). They claim to be Christian because that is how they look at themselves. They go to church because they were brought up to go to church. Or some may go only "for the kids", in order to expose them to religion. They still claim to be Christian but do not live it.

I will admit that some Christians just do not put into practice their faith. They have faith, but for whatever reasons decide to keep it hidden. Should they do that? Of course not. But Christians are no more perfect than anyone else.

Many other Christians do live out our faith, and I hope others see my faith in the way I live. Perfect? No. But always striving for others to see Christ's love through me.

As far as my being in Iraq? Are you trying to say all Christians should be running to Iraq just because we are Christians? There are Christians in Iraq who have felt called to go there, just as there are Christian missionaries in most countries who feel called to go there to not only be a light for Christ but to assist in other ways. I do not feel God has called me to go to any other country at this time. My ministry tends to be in other areas. But were I to feel God leading me overseas, I would willingly go, as others within my church have gone.

Sorry if this was long and drawn out as an answer. It may not be the most clear response I have given here, but I hope you at least get what I am trying to say.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 08:38 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
In that case, I think atheists have as much a right to complain about Christians discussing their beliefs as Christians would have when atheists agressively debunk them.

In many ways, Christians here frequently ask for a peaceful discussion about a belief that a substantial portion of the members on this site will burn for eternity in hell.

In that regard I think "attacking" the belief is downright friendly in comparison to what you believe will happen to us when we die.

Regardless to the place either is going, I thinking is helpful or hopeful that when having opposing views - each side try and minimize the personal attack - acknowledge some respect for anothers belief without being hostile - by everything I believe you maybe going to Hell and get everything the Bible describes. My hope is that someday something will speak to your heart to hear or let the message in, before what I believe is the final judgement.

Quote:
In that regard I think "attacking" the belief is downright friendly in comparison to what you believe will happen to us when we die.
I'm not actually in your face about the burning and nashing of teeth in hell.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 08:55 am
Deborah B. wrote:
......Christianity for me is mainstream. I am inspired by Christian music brought into the 21st century by some wonderful artists who make Christ alive for me through music. There are Christian coffee houses with excellent activities, great coffee and good food open to the public that provide opportunity to life the Christian life out in the world.

For me it is a source of strength and inspiration to move beyond my limitations. It is a well I go to constantly for nourishment and knowledge. What if I only ate once a week. I wouldn't thrive too much..........

you seem to see Christianity as some sort of entertainment;

if i may be permitted to go back to your source, Christ led a life of what he considered to be (and i see no fault in most descriptions) his understanding of how one should behave toward, and amongst one's fellow humans. He did not spend his time argueing that his was the only 'way', or babbling about accepting him as one's true and only saviour; he lived his life according to his principles, and his concepts of morality, and fairness, to the best of his ability in a time of fledgling civilization.

if one has a mind, one should use it to guide one's actions in a manner that will bring the most possible good to the relationships and situations that one encounters in one's chosen life.

no guide books, and 'support groups' are needed to "see the way";
to steal a phrase from corporate America - just do it! (Coastal; the Iraq thing was merely a 'topical' example)
0 Replies

Deborah B

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 09:09 am
Agreed and there is no reason in the world that my faith should not be fun! I was not put onthis earth to suffer. I was put on this earth to live and learn and be an example. Ans why shouldn't fun be part of faith. I see no reason why not! Perhaps some of the difficulty some people have with religion is that they wear it like a hairshit. I wear mine like a loose garment and in doing so I have found much peace and love.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 09:14 am
Deborah B. wrote:
......hairshit.......

hmmm, would that be a 'Freudian slip' or simply a piece of clothing with which i am not familliar?
0 Replies

Deborah B

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 09:24 am
hairshirt...oops:)
0 Replies