Why is it so important to refute Christianity?

cavfancier

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 09:34 am
patiodog wrote:
Quote:
Pure dogma on either side just leads to non-ending, non-educational, motionless debate.

How do you debate the issue from opposing sides without it being dogmatic? The question is inherently one of dogma.

Well, I just feel that Christians who can't objectively look at science, and Secularists who can't examine scripture simply sell themselves short in terms of ammunition when it comes to debate. The question of real debate is not about 'dogma' at all. It's about convincing the opposing side of the position you are defending, which is impossible without an understanding of where they are coming from.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 09:37 am
Incidentally, my personal feelings about religion, which are somewhat documented here (I am no believer) does not effect how I feel about conducting discussion amongst the religious and the non.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 09:38 am
Quote:
I do think religion is based on ignorance...

I don't entirely agree with this. An embryologist I know is one of the most educated and thoughtful people I have ever met and is also a devout Christian (though probably not in the eyes of many fundamentalists). He is fluent in four languages and works at one of the country's leading institutions for the study of animal development. Nonetheless, he cleaves to his highly personal conception of his religion. I don't begrudge him his belief; his occupation and his faith constantly lead him to question both of them in what I think is a very healthy way. He needs to have answers to big questions, even if he has to revise them along the way.

I should point out, though, that he views the Bible primarily as a repository of poetry and cultural experience, not as the word of God, and has told me that he is disturbed by the actions of many churches and "charismatcs" as well...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 09:44 am
patiodog wrote:
Quote:
I do think religion is based on ignorance...

I don't entirely agree with this. An embryologist I know is one of the most educated and thoughtful people I have ever met and is also a devout Christian (though probably not in the eyes of many fundamentalists). He is fluent in four languages and works at one of the country's leading institutions for the study of animal development.

So? Do you assert that all the beliefs of an intelligent man can't be ignorant?

I did not say: "all who believe in Christianity are ignorant"

I did say: "I think religion is based on ignorance".

And I'd apply it to that man as well, he may be intelligent but he subscribes to a theory that I think is based on ignorance.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 09:54 am
Quote:
So? Do you assert that all the beliefs of an intelligent man can't be ignorant?

Not at all. But I do think there is a distinction between willful ignorance (that is, a refusal to examine beliefs) and accepting and even cultivating cognitive dissonance. The person I am describing -- I don't think he expects to be assigned to heaven or hell based on some accounting of his moral turpitude and acceptance of Christ as savior. Rather, I think that he finds that scientific explanations ultimately leave a certain emotional and intellectual void that he fills by looking back to his cultural heritage. He turns to his religion the way I turn to music -- to tame the beast. And I have to say that his reflections help inform a life that I think is very well-lived: he is eager to help those he can, lives extremely modestly, donates both money and time to those who need it. I do not think his active use (not acceptance) of certain parts of the Christian metaphor (not doctrine) qualifies as ignorance. Significantly, though, in my couple of long conversations with this guy, I've never seen any indication that he rejects good scientific evidenence in favor of Christian dogma.

Doesn't change my general feeling about organized religion in general, which does use ignorance as a tool for social control.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 09:58 am
Ok, I'll try again. I did **not** say anything about the believer being ignorant.

I **did** say something about beliefs being based on ignorance.

To use your own example:

"void that he fills by looking back to his cultural heritage"

Whether or not he is ignorant, he is "filling a void" with a elements of a religion that I consider to have been based on ignorance.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 10:03 am
Just reading.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 10:15 am
Quote:
Whether or not he is ignorant, he is "filling a void" with a elements of a religion that I consider to have been based on ignorance.

That much I will buy. However, I do not believe that using the constructs to organize and interpret personal experience is invalid. This would require that I discard most of the world's literature. I have a much dog-eared copy of a particularly diverse and interesting poetry anthology (The Rattle Bag) that I often revisit to cast some light on my own inner life, and the Bible can be used in much the same way. Much of the art that I admire and find meaningful is grounded in religion; this doesn't make the art -- the expression of the artist's personal experiences in moving through the world -- invalid in itself.

What I see as ignorant (in the pejorative sense) is using something as the only source of such sustenance. Ultimately, we are all ignorant about a great many things, and how we address this ignorance is pretty much arbitrary.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 10:16 am
Re: Why is it so important to refute Christianity?
Craven de Kere wrote:
I don't really care if others "understand" this. I do think religion is based on ignorance and will say so but this is not bourne of a desire to convince others, just to express my opinion.

Thanks fer that. Summed up my feelings pretty well too.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 10:29 am
Onyx, dear, you can believe or not believe. It's not up to me, or anyone else, to say whether you will or will not be rewarded in the afterlife. In part that's up to whoever it is that makes the world spin 'round.

The other part is up to you. And the only way I, or any of our other members here on a2k, or other members of the human race here on earth, can tell is by what we percieve of your actions.

You've not tried to convert me, personally. I can't vouch for your behaviour out in the real world, but it is hard for me to square your a2k persona with anything I would find objectionable.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 10:29 am
Patio, I am the same way with music. Nothing is more uplifting than Handel or Bach; Mozart; Nothing more reinforcing than Emily Dickinson's "I Never Saw a Moor". Faith, as opposed to religion, is still a personal thing, and always will be.

Onyx, I often believe that railing against religion is a fear factor, just as stubborn declaration for it encompasses many factors.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 10:34 am
patiodog wrote:

That much I will buy.

That'll be three fidty.

Quote:
However, I do not believe that using the constructs to organize and interpret personal experience is invalid.

Oh, I agree.

Quote:
Much of the art that I admire and find meaningful is grounded in religion; this doesn't make the art -- the expression of the artist's personal experiences in moving through the world -- invalid in itself.

Amen! I love some hymns and love many many passages from the Bible. I've no qualm with deriving inspiration from things that I might not find true.

I don't mind being inspired by Wagner, or admiring Denis Rodman's game, I don't mind being inspired by art that's based on a religion I consider to be harmful.

Incidentally my morall compass is partially based on the Bible's "Golden Rule".

Quote:
Ultimately, we are all ignorant about a great many things, and how we address this ignorance is pretty much arbitrary.

Very, very true.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 10:40 am
Oddly enough, I find solace (and grim cheer) in bits like this:

Quote:
Fable

Once upon a time
there was a lonely wolf
lonelier than the angels.

He happened to come to a village.
He fell in love with the first house he saw.

Already he loved its walls
the caresses of its bricklayers.
But the windows stopped him.

In the room sat people.
Apart from God nobody ever
found them so beautiful
as this child-like beast.

So at night he went into the house.
He stopped in the middle of the room
and never moved from there any more.

He stood all through the night, with wide eyes
and on into the morning when he was beaten to death.

--Janos Pilinszky (trans. Ted Hughes)

Holds great meaning for me, for whatever reason, and clearly arises from Christian metaphors. (Usually, I find the Christian fascination with Christ's suffering morbid -- but somehow I find this interpretation more fascinating than Mel Gibson's trite paean to sadomasochism. Personally, I have a picture of people long ago huddled together in fear of their angry and wrathful God, bound by common suffering. Unfortunately, also, inflicting the same suffering on their perceived enemies...)

But I digress...
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 10:58 am
no, I'm not a converter.

edit as to what follows>

I am not a converter because I believe people are 'converted' by circumstances within their own lives. The Bible tells Christians to witness to others, and this I do by inviting people to my church or something like that. I do really do much more than that. Some people who aren't believers like me ask questions, and I just tell them what the Bible says. I can't vouch for whats in the Bible with anything other than what I believe so I mainly try to stay out of debates with non-believers (be they atheist or agnostic).

I thought this thread would be good for me to see what people are thinking about when they give all the scientific explanations & the logical explanations. It's always interesting for me to read the thoughts of others on this, even though I don't subscribe.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 11:11 am
...... is it so important to refute Christianity?

no, it isn't really;
there are those, myself included unfortunately, who can't resist taking a cheap jab at a body of ideology that is wantonly bereft of logic, and clings frantically to texts written by semi primitive societies thousands of years ago.
Such ideas from the past, while having caused immeasurable pain,
over time will dissipate, and dissolve into historical footnotes, as society grows out of its infancy into an age of individual responsibility.

But there is a sense of helping the process along, that is alluring.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 03:07 pm
Rolling Eyes Over-the-toppish Bo.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 03:12 pm
Spot on Bo.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 05:27 pm
"...out damn-ed spot..."

That means goodnight in Portugese.

There will be a special on ABC tonight hosted by Peter Jennings-- "Jesus and Paul." It purports to examine the beginnings of Christianity. Both Jesus and Paul were Jews, and I'm not certain whether Bush will approve the message.

and meanwhile the world holds its breath.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 05:29 pm
truth
BoGoWo, I would beg to differ with your comment about texts written thousands of years ago by semi-primitives having no value for us today, with reference to the Indian Upanishads. As I understand (parts of) them, they have profound educational value for anyone, including atheists like me.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 05:33 pm
husker wrote:
I kind a like what Cav is saying, Boss is ok! Wilso you make sound like the governments are funding Christianity and not Atheism. I don't have any interest in name calling with you or many others here. Does get a little heated now and then Wink

Many religious organisations are tax exempt, and ALL religious schools get significant government funding (in Oz anyway). So if that's not funding religion, then what is?
0 Replies