Do we really have to take military action to Syria?

spendius

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 06:03 am
@Mike the Snake,
I have no idea which side used CW but that video is proof of nothing that I could see.
revelette

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 07:19 am
@spendius,
Human Rights Watch has said "evidence strongly suggests" Assad used chemical weapons and they explain why here.

Although it is not the UN's mission to determine who used the CW in August in Syria, western officials have said UN report will point to Syrian regime's responsibility for sarin attack
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 07:45 am
Quote:
UN Panel Probing 14 Suspected Syrian Chemical Weapon Attacks

GENEVA (AP) — The head of a U.N. commission investigating war crimes in Syria says it investigating who was responsible for 14 suspected chemical weapon attacks.

Commission chairman Paulo Sergio Pinheiro says the Geneva-based U.N. probe has not yet determined the exact materials used but is awaiting evidence from a separate team of U.N. chemical weapons inspectors expected to be made public later Monday.

He emphasizes the "vast majority" of casualties in Syria's civil wars is from conventional weapons like guns and mortars.

Pinheiro told reporters Monday the commission believes that President Bashar Assad's government has committed war crimes and crimes against humanity, while it believes that rebel groups have perpetrated war crimes but not crimes against humanity "because there is not a clear chain of command."

source
spendius

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 08:15 am
@revelette,
Assad is not a normal person. Nor are those in his high command.

They know very well what the FSA will do to them if they get their hands on them and they know what we will do if they fall to us. The latter being infinitely preferable.

For the last two years the former fate has been uppermost in their minds.

What we would do if backed into a corner like that is anybody's guess.
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 08:28 am
@spendius,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bashar_al-Assad
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 11:30 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:
You really are obsessed with me, Spendius.

I'm not gay, though...so you might try cruising someone else.

You followed me onto the Why Are We Here thread. Not the other way round. Same with the Pope thread.

I will bet at evens that you also followed me on the Gun related and Syria threads. Apart from Trivia, which I know is too hot for you, those are all my recent postings.

You're on threads I never go on.

Not that I draw any particular conclusions from that stuff but it's very odd for you to bring up such matters I must say.

I think your style of debate reflects great discredit on A2K. And on the USA.

You are obsessed with me, Spendius. You start these things...and get bloodied up in the responses.

Stop. You can pretend that you are giving it up because you are "above" this sort of thing.

I am not especially interested in your opinion of me or my debating style. It will never be that fruity, pompous, pretentious stuff you do...so you will never like.

Leave it be...or keep coming at me and I will keep wiping the floor with you.
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 01:50 pm
The UN’s report on its investigation into the use of chemical weapons in Syria came out today.

It says that sarin was used in a rocket attack in a rocket attack in Damascus, but does not establish who the perpetrators were.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 01:55 pm
@spendius,
This poster joined today and this is his only post. It's probably safe to assume he's part of the Syrian Electronic Army.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 01:59 pm
@Mike the Snake,
Wow . . . way to go! Russian anti-American propaganda and Syrian anti-rebel propaganda, all in the same post!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 02:01 pm
Need more than that youtube to convince us you know anything at all, snake eyes.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 10:05 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Leave it be...or keep coming at me and I will keep wiping the floor with you.

Says the guy who recently ran into a stinky little ignore hole.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 17 Sep, 2013 01:20 pm
Although the UN report doesn’t assign responsibility for the gas attacks, it does detail azimuths of the rocket trajectories. Human Rights Watch and The New York Times separately analyzed this data and were able to trace their origins to a Syrian military complex.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/17/world/europe/syria-united-nations.html
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 17 Sep, 2013 01:51 pm
@InfraBlue,
and how close was this complex to the front lines? I am thinking that a single truck towing a launcher and 4 guys was all that was required, if I were a rebel commander tasked with a miltary operation to get the west into the war I would have them sneak into enemy territory before launching, it is a no-brainer.

what is required is intel intercepts of orders, or identifying individuals who did the operation, or something else that is at least reasonably conclusive. using the logic of the west all sabotage operations that took place against Nazi operations were done by germans since they happened in territory controlled by the Germans, which we know is not tbe truth.
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 17 Sep, 2013 03:14 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye wrote:
I am thinking that a single truck towing a launcher and 4 guys was all that was required.

Read the report. That way you won't be talking out of ignorance.
spendius

Reply Tue 17 Sep, 2013 03:18 pm
@InfraBlue,
We have been reading reports for weeks now and we don't seem to have got much further than strikes are off until mid 2014.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 17 Sep, 2013 03:40 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

hawkeye wrote:
I am thinking that a single truck towing a launcher and 4 guys was all that was required.

Read the report. That way you won't be talking out of ignorance.

do you have another report? this one does not say how many men how far into enemy territory for how long would have been required for the rebels to carry this out.

the government gives us almost no alleged facts, but this is a "slam dunk", right?
0 Replies

peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Tue 17 Sep, 2013 04:56 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
How much cheaper would it be to do something about this one now
http://www.transcend.org/tms/2013/09/new-report-high-risk-of-genocide-in-burma/
Before it grows any bigger also?
spendius

Reply Tue 17 Sep, 2013 04:59 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
It is further away Pete and I don't think there are any pipelines involved. Write in to Xi Jinping.
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Tue 17 Sep, 2013 09:42 pm
@spendius,
That would be one of the members. But maintaining or establishing Peace in the World its every members responsibility. It affects all economies when there is a conflict between any of its members.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2013 08:17 pm
I am loving how after the UN instructed its inspectors to not comment on or decide who did this Kerry is all over the place today saying " see, see, the UN just said that the government did it!"
0 Replies