Do we really have to take military action to Syria?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 27 Aug, 2013 01:39 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:
Remember, we need to approval of the UN before we can act, AND we need to have been attacked.
Since the full UN wont approve action, and since we weren't attacked, what is the reason to think we can react.
Quote:
But Mr Cameron and his deputy, Nick Clegg, appeared to imply that such action could take place without a mandate from the UN Security Council – or without waiting for weapons inspectors to report on their examination of the site of the alleged attack in Damscus last week, during which hundreds are reported to have died. Foreign Office lawyers and the Attorney General, Dominic Grieve, are understood already to have examined the legal route for military intervention in Syria using a controversial UN “ humanitarian” exemption that allows action without the Security Council’s authority.
Source: The heir to Blair: David Cameron makes ‘moral case’ for attack on Syria in echo of defence for Iraq war
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 27 Aug, 2013 01:43 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
finding a legal right to attack is a formality, they want to do what they want to do and the law is for damn sure not going to stop them. this of course plays right into the muslim fundamentalists hands as they have claimed all along the western powers are unjust thugs.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 27 Aug, 2013 01:45 pm
@hawkeye10,
Do you which side is which? Moslem fundamentalists are fighting for the rebels. They would welcome a strike.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 27 Aug, 2013 01:50 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Do you which side is which? Moslem fundamentalists are fighting for the rebels. They would welcome a strike.

an attack by western powers on the government would be all net for them......
izzythepush

Reply Tue 27 Aug, 2013 01:52 pm
@hawkeye10,
So are you saying the West should back off, that the only outside help the Syrian people should get should be from Moslem fundamentalists?
gungasnake

Reply Tue 27 Aug, 2013 02:08 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
So are you saying the West should back off, that the only outside help the Syrian people should get should be from Moslem fundamentalists?

Nobody in this picture, particularly Bork Obunga's slammite brohood pals, give a rat's ass about the Syrian people.

Other than for the presence of George Soros in the picture I'd be tempted to denounce it as more dog-wagging. With Soros in the picture you have to look for some sort of an international money/banking angle as was the case with Libya two years ago.
spendius

Reply Tue 27 Aug, 2013 03:14 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Dumping the Security Council would be a good first step but that's a when pig's fly issue.

That's a pretty gratuitous thing to say JT. Monstrous pigs might fly if that happened.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 27 Aug, 2013 04:10 pm
Where does WND.com originate? I am not familiar with them at all. I saw the following on their web site:

Assad has rejected charges that his government forces used chemical weapons as “preposterous” and “completely politicized,” the Los Angeles Times reported.

He argues Syrian forces were in the targeted area.

“How is it possible that any country would use chemical weapons, or any weapons of mass destruction, in an area where its own forces are located?” Assad asked in the interview with Izvestia, according to a translation provided by Syria’s official news agency and published by the Los Angeles Times.

“This is preposterous! These accusations are completely politicized and come on the back of the advances made by the Syrian Army against the terrorists.”

Rebel attack?

With the assistance of former PLO member and native Arabic-speaker Walid Shoebat, WND has assembled evidence from various Middle Eastern sources that cast doubt on Obama administration claims the Assad government is responsible for last week’s attack.

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2013/08/video-shows-rebels-launching-gas-attack-in-syria/#Vj7UbkRk7cyRICbP.99
gungasnake

Reply Tue 27 Aug, 2013 04:30 pm
@gungasnake,
Quote:
Other than for the presence of George Soros in the picture I'd be tempted to denounce it as more dog-wagging. With Soros in the picture you have to look for some sort of an international money/banking angle as was the case with Libya two years ago.

I'm hearing that this is probably the case but don't have anything definite at present. The story has a very high potential to get more interesting.

spendius

Reply Tue 27 Aug, 2013 05:05 pm
@gungasnake,
It's certainly interesting why chemical weapons are such a bogey when 100,000 are dead and a million or two are refugees, leaving aside the injuries, due to guns, tanks, rockets, bombs and summary executions.

Are we on the verge of war simply because Obarmy drew a red line in order to sound off in a positive light. Just as he did at Newtown before going off to lunch while another million guns were sold.

We invented ******* sarin and the means of delivering it. Who authorised selling both?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 28 Aug, 2013 02:49 pm
Hopefully, all the military personnel on the Navy ships will get combat pay, as soon as the first strike occurs. Plus, if regular manned bombers are used, the crews get medals, and a better chance at promotions (rather than just using cruise missles).

My point being that to continue to maintain a volunteer military, a nation cannot, in my opinion, just have military career personnel spend 20-30 years just practicing for nothing. Plus, if we sell combat aircraft to other nations, it sells better, if there is actual use of the aircraft in real combat situations.

Basically, for the families back home, of the military that are in the theatre of operations, it makes them proud of their family member achieving the nation's military efforts.

Let's stop whining, and get behind the President, since the line that was crossed, in my opinion, was not killing by gas, but by killing children by the torture of gassing.

Based on the reactions I'm reading, I guess I understand why the Nazi gas chambers were not considered so vile by some people. Can I assume the common denominator is that both victims were not "really" Europeans, as many people define that group (descended from the early pagan tribes)?

As our great past President Lyndon Baines Johnson said in another situation, (paraphrasing) "Let's not pussyfoot around."

Lastly, I believe Israel collectively would prefer Hassad to maintain his Alowite regime, since the rebels include radicals that side with the Palestineans, so you can see my position is not that of the Zionist perspective most likely.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 28 Aug, 2013 03:03 pm
@Foofie,
I understand that the worlds military powers but for China and Russia are pretty much at the point where they feel justified in bombing other nations at will and conducting assassinations in other nations when the mood strikes, but perhaps this is not such a hot idea. Once governments give up on law they will never be able to keep their citizens caring about the law.
Foofie

Reply Wed 28 Aug, 2013 03:38 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

I understand that the worlds military powers but for China and Russia are pretty much at the point where they feel justified in bombing other nations at will and conducting assassinations in other nations when the mood strikes, but perhaps this is not such a hot idea. Once governments give up on law they will never be able to keep their citizens caring about the law.

What private citizens do can have nothing to do with what their governments do. The two are basically mutually exclusive, meaning a person does not steal if he/she is honest, even if his/her country stole land from other peoples.

Plus, you brought up "assassinations" based on "mood." Whose "mood"? You need not answer; do you just prefer to show some rhetoric that puts doubt into the tentative bombing?
spendius

Reply Wed 28 Aug, 2013 05:21 pm
@Foofie,
It's all on hold Foofie. They don't know what to do except make empty gestures. Kerry was pathetic the other day.

He looked like a bloke who doesn't know what to do but has to pretend that he does in order to bolster the credibility of his office. Which is close to zero from what I can tell.
mysteryman

Reply Wed 28 Aug, 2013 06:25 pm
The president has already said that the US will act alone, with or without UN approval...

http://www.rr.com/articles/2013/08/28/u/us-lays-groundwork-for-possible-syria-strike
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 28 Aug, 2013 06:57 pm
I am hoping he considers the polls, which are very much against it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 28 Aug, 2013 06:58 pm
@edgarblythe,
WND is World Net Daily. It is an ultra-right online "news" source founded by a journalist, Joseph Farah, with fairly good journalistic credentials. However, he is a crony of Lush Lamebrain, and a promoter of many bizarre conspiracy theories. He is a major figure in the "birther" movement, and when the White House web site posted Mr. Obama's "long form" birth certificate, Farah, although having said that he'd donate $15,000 to the hospital where he was born for producing that document, simply called the document fraudulent and that was the end of any donation talk. I'd take a very long spoon to sup with that particular devil.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 28 Aug, 2013 07:03 pm
@Setanta,
I had been smelling something, just did not know the source.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Wed 28 Aug, 2013 07:17 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
WND is World Net Daily. It is an ultra-right online "news" source founded by a journalist, Joseph Farah, with fairly good journalistic credentials. However, he is a crony of Lush Lamebrain, and a promoter of many bizarre conspiracy theories. He is a major figure in the "birther" movement, and when the White House web site posted Mr. Obama's "long form" birth certificate, Farah, although having said that he'd donate $15,000 to the hospital where he was born for producing that document, simply called the document fraudulent and that was the end of any donation talk. I'd take a very long spoon to sup with that particular devil.

So this right wing ass is using this very volatile international situation by throwing lies into the mix to further his domestic political agenda. A real patriot.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 28 Aug, 2013 07:38 pm
@mysteryman,
Quote:
The president has already said that the US will act alone, with or without UN approval...

That's exactly what rogue nations do, MM. Surely, you're not surprised by this.