Kolyo

Sun 6 Dec, 2015 10:13 pm
Well played, gunga. Well played.
Kolyo

Sun 6 Dec, 2015 11:19 pm
@Kolyo,
Kolyo wrote:

Well played, gunga. Well played.

Okay, to whomever voted me down before (which is well within your rights as a member) I would just like to explain a couple things:

(1) Tulsi is a Democrat, not gunga's typical source, and I find her point of view interesting. When I said well-played I meant it was a smart marketing move on his part to point out agreement between his position and someone with whom I, as a young liberal, tend to agree.

(2) The views she expresses on Syria and Assad aren't some whacko Russian propaganda. She makes her point well, and it's all about regional stability.

I'm unsure about Syria. I'm trying to figure out what America's best move is right now, and if you disagree with what she says, I would love to hear your opinion as well. You, too, may sway my views on this. Do people think she's wrong, and if so, why?

EDIT -- And don't worry, she doesn't call him "Obunga". Smile
oralloy

Mon 7 Dec, 2015 01:42 pm
@Kolyo,
Kolyo wrote:
I'm unsure about Syria. I'm trying to figure out what America's best move is right now, and if you disagree with what she says, I would love to hear your opinion as well. You, too, may sway my views on this. Do people think she's wrong, and if so, why?

While I'm not the person who voted you down, I do see an error in her position. She kept talking about stopping the American efforts to overthrow Assad, and there are no such American efforts.

Our military acts in Syria are aimed at destroying Islamic State.

She is essentially arguing that the US should stop doing something that we aren't doing and aren't even contemplating doing, which doesn't make a lot of sense.
oralloy

Mon 7 Dec, 2015 02:01 pm
@Kolyo,
America is opposed to Assad staying in power. But the US position is that there should be a new leader elected (with Assad barred from running in the election) followed by a peaceful transfer of power. So there should be no fears of a power vacuum.

The US does not intend to try to bring this about by military force, but rather by having our diplomats talk to Putin and convince him that this is the only way to end the war.

So far Putin has not been convinced, but he is still willing to listen to our diplomats.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Mon 7 Dec, 2015 04:06 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
While I'm not the person who voted you down, I do see an error in her position. She kept talking about stopping the American efforts to overthrow Assad, and there are no such American efforts.

Our military acts in Syria are aimed at destroying Islamic State.

That is totally wrong. We created ISIS, have defended it, have provided air cover for its stupid ****, and just a day or two ago bombed a Syrian army artillary group which was shooting at ISIS forces.

The whole thing is about overthrowing Assad because he won't allow US / Israel / Saudi controlled pipelines through Syria.
0 Replies