Do we really have to take military action to Syria?

roger

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 05:38 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
I see what you mean
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 05:49 pm
@roger,
Well a few of the members may have differences, that is why this branch that we all pay taxes to was established. So it can been seen thru all the members points of view. Then a decision can made and the members are there to support that decision.
spendius

Reply Sun 15 Sep, 2013 05:19 am
@peter jeffrey cobb,
But the Security Council is not all members. The permanent members are China, France, Russia, the United Kingdom, and the United States. The nuclear club. The victors in WW2. And they each have a veto. The other members (10) rotate and do not have a veto.
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Sun 15 Sep, 2013 07:29 am
@spendius,
Good point! That should be brought up.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 15 Sep, 2013 01:23 pm
the rebels are pissed, most likely because their ploy of sarin gasing did not yet work to get us into the war on their side. it is worth remembering that the sarin gassing earlier this year was deemed to have most likely been carried out by the rebels, and the Turks are now saying that several rebel groups have been in their markets looking for sarin precursors.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 15 Sep, 2013 01:36 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

But the Security Council is not all members. The permanent members are China, France, Russia, the United Kingdom, and the United States. The nuclear club. The victors in WW2. And they each have a veto. The other members (10) rotate and do not have a veto.

some of the nuclear club, north korea, pakistan and Israel are missing.
roger

Reply Sun 15 Sep, 2013 01:43 pm
@hawkeye10,
As a matter of fact, Pakistan is a member, and what if they are? They don't have the veto. China and Russia do, which is something to be factored in when contemplating the likelyhood of the various resolutions.

ETA: http://www.un.org/en/sc/members/
spendius

Reply Sun 15 Sep, 2013 01:50 pm
@hawkeye10,
I hope you don't think I was unaware of that. And Israel is represented adequately. Possibly moreso than we are.

I very much doubt any of them could use what they have. That's a red line we can prevent being crossed. We know when their leaders take a leak.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 15 Sep, 2013 01:53 pm
@roger,
Quote:
China and Russia do, which is something to be factored in when contemplating the likelyhood of the various resolutions.

That was the first thing to be factored in. The second as well. And the third and fourth and all the way to now.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 15 Sep, 2013 04:08 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

The bullshit and savagery of human versus human will only abate if the most powerful are willing to unite and exert influence that gets it to abate.

It's not in our genome.
Foofie

Reply Sun 15 Sep, 2013 04:15 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

And you think Assad will allow 75,000 US troops on his soil?

I don't think anybody wants that. There's a difference between what's needed when someone is cooperating, and when they're not.

Clipboards are only as good as the pens that are used with them. The felt tip, with indelible ink, puts tremendous fear into the hearts and minds of those with evil intentions. While the administration said there would be no "boots on the ground," do you notice nothing was said about clipboards?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 15 Sep, 2013 04:15 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Assad is only going to cooperate if it suits him.

Bingo! (In my opinion, too.)
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 15 Sep, 2013 05:00 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
It's not in our genome.

It's in Apisa's genome. That's why he is a special kinda guy. Not being one of the most powerful and all.

But it is good that he is opposed to bullshit and savagery. That's really special.
Shame on you Foofie for refusing to come out against bullshit and savagery as Apisa heroically has done. You have to admire the silly ****** for taking a stand against bullshit and savagery in between rounds of golf. Assuming it can be called golf on his handicap as measured on courses Mickelson could get round in the high fifties on a bad putting day.
Foofie

Reply Sun 15 Sep, 2013 05:03 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:
It's not in our genome.

It's in Apisa's genome. That's why he is a special kinda guy. Not being one of the most powerful and all.

But it is good that he is opposed to bullshit and savagery. That's really special.
Shame on you Foofie for refusing to come out against bullshit and savagery as Apisa heroically has done. You have to admire the silly ****** for taking a stand against bullshit and savagery in between rounds of golf. Assuming it can be called golf on his handicap as measured on courses Mickelson could get round in the high fifties on a bad putting day.

Idealism can really be dangerous. Some religions even promulgate it. If they only knew that the historical Jesus was really an anti-Roman zealot. That image of the loving Jesus, forgiving all, is just part of the canard that perpetuates idealism, in my opinion.
spendius

Reply Sun 15 Sep, 2013 05:06 pm
@Foofie,
Jesus was a serious intellectual. A complete and utter bastard of the highest order in other words.

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 15 Sep, 2013 06:00 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:
It's not in our genome.

You really are obsessed with me, Spendius.

I'm not gay, though...so you might try cruising someone else.
RABEL222

Reply Sun 15 Sep, 2013 06:11 pm
@Foofie,
Just what fairy tale universe were you raised in? Men have been killing for gain forever. Even the bible that you put so much stock in has instances of it.
0 Replies

peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Sun 15 Sep, 2013 11:04 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
I think this defenition should be discussed in detail
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veto
One member out all of these
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states
Can use this power?
what if the vote is 99% against this member?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 04:42 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
You really are obsessed with me, Spendius.

I'm not gay, though...so you might try cruising someone else.

You followed me onto the Why Are We Here thread. Not the other way round. Same with the Pope thread.

I will bet at evens that you also followed me on the Gun related and Syria threads. Apart from Trivia, which I know is too hot for you, those are all my recent postings.

You're on threads I never go on.

Not that I draw any particular conclusions from that stuff but it's very odd for you to bring up such matters I must say.

I think your style of debate reflects great discredit on A2K. And on the USA.
Mike the Snake

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 05:53 am
@edgarblythe,
In no way should we get involved in this reckless gamble! And that's not because our soldiers may not manage, no – they'd do nicely, I'm sure, but because Obama has lied again. The rebels not the Army used the WMD. Here's the watertight proof.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc39Z84uLqI

And that's not the end of it. The chemical weapons were supplied to the rebels by firms related to the CIA. The weapons were produced in a secret laboratory in Georgia near Tbilisi and were later on carried to Syria through Turkey. Obama must have known it all!