Do we really have to take military action to Syria?

Foofie

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2013 10:17 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Any Syrians who actually made it to our shores would probably be arrested by the Port Authority police in New York and New Jersey. You are completely delusional.

Or, get lost in the subways. They might wind-up in the Bronx Zoo, or New York Botanical Gardens? Actually, they might just head downtown to see Ground Zero? So much to do as "invading tourists."
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2013 10:30 am
They'd probably want to get tickets to see David Letterman tape his show, unless they're Leno fans. Better reserve your tickets now, Syrian army and navy, they go quick..
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2013 01:07 pm
oralloy
"If you didn't make **** up, you'd have nothing to say."
RABEL222

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2013 01:44 pm
@oralloy,
So we are going to bomb Irans nuclear facilities and the U S of A's at the same time?
RABEL222

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2013 01:48 pm
@Setanta,
He dosent have anything to say when he makes **** up.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2013 02:15 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
You are living in a land of make believe

Is this a Green Day quote?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPLvBO_2Gn0
Green Day - Jesus of Suburbia

"And there's nothing wrong with me
This is how I'm supposed to be
In a land of make believe
That don't believe in me"
izzythepush

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2013 02:21 pm
@Olivier5,
No it's a general observation.

You're not really a Green Day sort of guy. This is more your style.

You like to brood, don't you?
steveassteve41oo

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2013 02:35 pm
is it about Syria?

or chemical weapons?
Setanta

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2013 02:39 pm
@steveassteve41oo,
I think it's about the embarrassment of the great powers who have shown themselves to be impotent in the face of such enormities. They think they have to do something, but can't quite decide what they ought to do, all the while knowing that it would likely be a losing proposition for them, regardless of what action they take. The Russians, of course, are like the drunken uncle at the family party, who only gets noticed because he's determined to disagree with everyone else, and to be as disagreeable as possible.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2013 02:43 pm
Russian is building up its fleet in the Med, and is determined to be an important factor. Note the statement by the Russian CNO--Admirals have the same talent to say nothing in a complex and self-important way as do politicians.
revelette

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2013 03:26 pm
@steveassteve41oo,
Its also about the use of chemical weapons and what to do about it. Most of the world signed on to the chemical weapons ban, yet when it comes time to do something about, everybody just acts like the whole thing is made up or something.

Quote:

U.N. Chief Says He Has 'Overwhelming' Evidence of Chemical Attacks in Syria

U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said Friday that U.N. weapons inspectors have obtained "overwhelming" evidence that chemical weapons were used in an Aug. 21 attack that killed large numbers of civilians in the suburbs of Damascus, Syria. The inspection team, according to a U.N.-based diplomatic source, has uncovered traces of the nerve agent sarin, a key agent in the chemical weapons arsenal of President Bashar al-Assad's government.

"I believe that the report will be an overwhelming report that chemical weapons were used, even though I cannot say it publicly at this time," according to the diplomatic source, citing notes from the closed-door meeting. Ban -- who made the remarks in a speech before the Women's International Forum -- thought he was speaking in a closed-door meeting. But the session was being broadcast live on an internal U.N. television feed.

It's the first time the United Nations has officially declared that chemical weapons have been used in Syria. And the acknowledgment comes two days before the U.N.'s chief weapons inspector, the Swedish scientist Ake Sellstrom, is scheduled on Sunday to present the U.N. chief with a report on his team's findings in Syria. Ban will present a briefing on the team's finding to the U.N. Security Council on Monday morning at 11 a.m.

source
Olivier5

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2013 03:51 pm
@izzythepush,
Oh my Gawd! This looked like Abba smoking pot.

Brood? No, but I don't see music as entertainment only - I like a bit of social commentary in my rock n' roll. Green Day is one of the best US band lately, they have the energy and they say things I like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee_uujKuJMI

izzythepush

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2013 03:56 pm
@Olivier5,
I wasn't associating Green Day with broodiness, just pointing out Fluff brooding over the phrase, land of make believe.

The video suits him well, ridiculous, fantastical and more than a little bit camp.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2013 04:59 pm
@revelette,
I can't see that making any difference.

Unless the US is up for a confrontation with Russia over its influence in Syria I can't see anything but talk, talk, talk until it is all talked out.
roger

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2013 05:26 pm
@spendius,
I am not delighted to see the buildup of Russian naval vessels in the Med.
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2013 06:30 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
In what other ways can we spend that money to promote peace?
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=pictures+of+destroyed+buildings+in+Syria&qpvt=pictures+of+destroyed+buildings+in+Syria&FORM=IGRE
Moment-in-Time

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2013 08:05 pm
@roger,
Quote:

I would not place too much emphasis on the Russian Naval buildup in the Mediterranean....recently they have been practicing military exercises there. Everything I've read regarding this buildup serves three purposes: 1) to evacuate Russian citizens who are in Syria if a strike by the US is carried out; 2) to prevent Turkey and other countries hostile to Syria from attacks against Syria in case of a US strike and 3) to exhibit a display of support for the embattled Syrian leader, Bashar Assad.

Trust me, Russia doesn't want a military conflict which could lead to WW3 because of some minor insignificant dictator from the middle east. Syria is still Russia's client state, however, so expect the fighting (verbal-diplomatic negotiations) to continue on behalf of Syria.

The current UN Chief, Secretary General Ban Ki-moon, stated publicly today after the report on Sarin use in Syria is released this coming Monday, that it's a strong possibility "Assad will be tried before the International Criminal Court of Justice for crimes against humanity." The future, despite Assad giving up his vast storehouse of chemicals, doesn't look too bright for this killer of children.
roger

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2013 09:32 pm
@Moment-in-Time,

Moment-in-Time wrote:

Quote:

I would not place too much emphasis on the Russian Naval buildup in the Mediterranean....recently they have been practicing military exercises there.

Military exercises, eh? Your trust is touching.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2013 10:28 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Moment-in-Time wrote:

Quote:

I would not place too much emphasis on the Russian Naval buildup in the Mediterranean....recently they have been practicing military exercises there.

Military exercises, eh? Your trust is touching.

the naivete is quaint...A2K has degraded over the yesrs but on the positive side we now have fewer of these over trusting idiots who would chain tbemselves up if the "right" people asked.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 01:45 am
@Moment-in-Time,
Russia is very concerned over its international standing and influence. The war of 2008 between Georgia and Russia is highly significant in the Russian psyche. We may think of this as a minor spat between Georgia and South Ossetian separatists, if we think of it at all. Not for Russians though, this was when American imperialism directed at Russia was finally stopped.

Since the collapse of the Soviet Union countries that were once firmly under the control of the Soviets have started to look West. Poland hosts American military bases, former Soviet Republics of Latvia Lithuania and Estonia are now in the EU.

These, along with wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are examples of American imperialism, Russia was misled about the terms of engagement in Libya, and feel America went well beyond its remit. Russia may not want to start a conflict with the USA, but they will aggressively defend their sphere of influence.