Do we really have to take military action to Syria?

Setanta

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 02:30 am
There has been a Russian propagandist here for years and years. This individual posts under a new account every time, and never comes back to post under that account. (You can tell it's the same person by the writing style and the fractured English which is used confidently as though it were correct.)

Essentially, the complaints are about more than just Ossetia. There are occasional references to Chechnya and Ingusetia, frequent diatribes against Muslims (all Muslims are terrorists, etc.), sneers against the Ukraine and Georgia as though they were traitor states (lots of complaints about Georgian wine, and economic ties--alleged--between Georgian and American leaders). But essentially, there's this whining and threatening tone about all of the states of the former Soviet Union. They are all depicted as duplicitous and in league with the U.S., or the E.U. or NATO>

It has been more than 20 years now since the collapse of the Soviet Union, but i think the loss of prestige, and particularly the loss of the respect once accorded to a super power rankles deeply.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 05:04 am
It looks like there's some positive movement here.

Quote:
Syria's chemical weapons must be destroyed or removed by mid-2014, under an agreement between the US and Russia.

US Secretary of State John Kerry outlined a six-point framework under which Syria must hand over a full list of its stockpile within a week.

If Syria fails to comply, the deal could be enforced by a UN resolution backed by the threat of sanctions or military force.

The US says the Syrian regime killed hundreds in a gas attack last month.

The government of Bashar al-Assad denies the allegations and has accused the rebels of carrying out the attack.

John Kerry: "There is no military solution it has to be political"

In a joint news conference with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, Mr Kerry called on the Assad government to live up to its public commitments.

"There can be no room for games. Or anything less than full compliance by the Assad regime," he said.

Mr Kerry and Mr Lavrov said if Syria failed to comply, then a UN resolution would be sought under Chapter VII of the UN charter, which allows for the use of force.

Mr Kerry said inspectors must be on the ground by November, and that the stockpiles should be removed or destroyed by mid-2014.

More than 100,000 people have died since the uprising against President Assad began in 2011. Millions of Syrians have been displaced.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-24091633

One good thing is that, despite the obvious animosity between Putin and Obama, Kerry and Lavrov seem to get on quite well. Although at some point America is going to have to bite the bullet and talk to Iran.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 05:05 am
@Setanta,
Russia has dispatched besides other ships (see below)a “carrier killer” missile cruiser in its largest naval deployment since Soviet times.

What totally is forgotten (and not marked on the map below) is that quite a few NATO-ships are there as well (though officially on different duty). And the German navy now has a second espionage spy fleet service ship in that area.

http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/a_zpsc51d62cf.jpg
Setanta

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 05:08 am
@Walter Hinteler,
The Russians used to employ quite a few "fleet service ships," too, didn't they?
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 05:13 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
One good thing is that, despite the obvious animosity between Putin and Obama, Kerry and Lavrov seem to get on quite well. Although at some point America is going to have to bite the bullet and talk to Iran.

Good point.

I think it is "about time" for America and all other large, powerful countries to "bite the bullet" and start talking and interacting reasonably with one another to make life on this planet a bit safer...and a bit more enjoyable.

The US SHOULD be talking with Iran...and we SHOULD change our attitude toward Cuba...and the US and Russia SHOULD be able to get along well with each other and develop as many common goals as possible.

The bullshit and savagery of human versus human will only abate if the most powerful are willing to unite and exert influence that gets it to abate.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 05:21 am
@Frank Apisa,
The election of the most moderate presidential candidate, (admittedly from an approved list issued by Khamenei) shows a shift in tone from the Holocaust denying Ahmadinejad. It's something the West should take advantage of.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 05:40 am
@Setanta,
During the cold war, they had a lot of "trawlers".

Ours looked different in those days
http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/a_zps7f50b76d.jpg
Setanta

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 06:13 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Trawlers, yes, that was it . . . those Russians seemed to have been avid fishermen.
0 Replies

Moment-in-Time

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 10:47 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:

These, along with wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are examples of American imperialism, Russia was misled about the terms of engagement in Libya, and feel America went well beyond its remit. Russia may not want to start a conflict with the USA, but they will aggressively defend their sphere of influence.

I agree with your statement on Russia, Izzy. My point, however, was the buildup of Russian military vessels in the Mediterranean isn't necessarily a prelude to war with the US. Granted, it's a show of force for its client/proxy state, Syria; the buildup effect is menacing which it's supposed to be....to keep Turkey and any other country at bay, that might want to take advantage of Syria's vulnerability in case there is a strike by the US... Some a2k posters appear apprehensive....fearful that this might escalate into something more deadly. Russia's prestige is on the line and he feels psychologically pressured to make a show of his military naval strength.... earlier when a strike by Obama against Syria seemed imminent, there was news Russian citizens would be evacuated out of the war-torn country.

With the US and Russia possessing the largest stockpile of nuclear warheads, war with each other is the most remote subject on the agenda. Meanwhile, it appear a deal has been reached regarding Assad's stockpile of chemicals, reportedly the largest in the world....let's hope the autocrat will comply. Unfortunately, Bashar is not weakened and will be able to crush the Rebels with conventional weapons and the killer dictator will continue to remain in power. With a strike by Obama Assad's army would have been weakened and the Rebels strengthened enough to oust the murdering Assad.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 11:01 am
@Moment-in-Time,
Quote:
My point, however, was the buildup of Russian military vessels in the Mediterranean isn't necessarily a prelude to war with the US. Granted,

almost certainly not, but they may be there to track our movements, with the intent to feed targeting data to the Iranians. They too prob dont want to overtly attack us, but they might subcontract the work out to terrorist organizations.
0 Replies

Moment-in-Time

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 11:04 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

The US SHOULD be talking with Iran...and we SHOULD change our attitude toward Cuba...and the US and Russia SHOULD be able to get along well with each other and develop as many common goals as possible.

The US had a very good relationship with Russia's former PM, Dmitry Medvedev.....Vladimir Putin is a different animal altogether. Oh I am all for talking with Cuba and Iran....It's way past time to normalize relations with Cuba and sanctions should be dropped. I understand that sanctions have been eased on Iran:
____

"U.S. Eases Sanctions to Allow Good-Will Exchanges With Iran

The Obama administration on Tuesday eased longstanding restraints on humanitarian and good-will activities between Iran and the United States, including athletic exchanges. It was at least the second American government relaxation of Iranian sanctions this year and came as Iran’s new president, Hassan Rouhani, has signaled his desire to improve relations."

More in Link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/11/world/middleeast/us-eases-sanctions-to-allow-good-will-exchanges-with-iran.html

Israel is trying its level best to get the US to bomb Iran.
oralloy

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 01:04 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
oralloy wrote:
That is what the "sequester" is for. All we need to do is relax the cuts for the military and then set all the other cuts in stone.

what is the figure....solves something like 3% of the over run? this is not a serious effort to make choices and put the books to rights, it is theater.

in case you missed my argument in other threads it is completly impossible to solve our nations budget problems without taking a hatchet to medical system spending and means testing entitlement program payouts. redistributing wealth from the rich would help a lot but globalization and the resulting instant and free flow of capital largly put an end to that choice, which was in large part the point of globalization.

The idea is that so long as inflation continues and the US keeps growing, we can go into debt forever so long as we do so in moderation.

The sequester is an attempt to ensure that the deficit remains in moderation.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 01:12 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
oralloy wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
We can't afford infrastructure, jobs, etc., but our military can spend all it wants to on one adventure after the other. If the hawks have their way none of it will be reigned in in our lifetimes.

And rightly so. If no one smashes the bad guys, they will come and conquer and enslave us.

let me guess..one of the good guys is one that uses the Constitution for toilet paper, habitually lies to its citizens, and has a long record of being generally incompetent at governance.
Am I right or am I right?

I don't know. I have no idea which good guy you are referring to.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 01:14 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Straw man . . .

No. My directly addressing the point does not constitute a straw man.

Setanta wrote:
which liberals do you allege intend to eliminate the American military?

All of them, more or less.

There might be a few "exceptions that prove the rule" here and there, but pretty much all of them.

Setanta wrote:
You're just making **** up, as usual.

Wake me up when you think you can show a single thing I am wrong about.

Setanta wrote:
Which liberals do you allege intend to disarm the police?

All of them, more or less.

There might be a few "exceptions that prove the rule" here and there, but pretty much all of them.

Setanta wrote:
Let's have their names and verifiable quotes.

The name of every liberal in the country?

Setanta wrote:
Stop making **** up.

Setanta wrote:
Being opposed to being screwed by the bloated "defense" industry does not equate with either doing away with the military or

Sure it does. The fallacy of the "bloated military" is just nonsense that the liberals use to try to justify their endless assault against the people who defend us.

Setanta wrote:
If you didn't make **** up, you'd have nothing to say.

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 01:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
oralloy
"If you didn't make **** up, you'd have nothing to say."

You have a big mouth, but you certainly come up lacking when it comes to pointing out a single thing I'm wrong about.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 01:19 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:
So we are going to bomb Irans nuclear facilities and the U S of A's at the same time?

No, we aren't going to bomb our own nuclear sites.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 01:38 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:
He dosent have anything to say when he makes **** up.

Unlike you, I never make anything up.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 01:44 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
Moment-in-Time wrote:
Israel is trying its level best to get the US to bomb Iran.

Stop lying. Israel would be happy to bomb Iran themselves.

It is Obama who is asking that Israel hold off and let the US be the one that bombs Iran.

How the Syria situation plays out is likely to impact whether Israel honors Obama's request.

When it looked like Obama was going to allow Congress to prevent him from bombing Syria, with nothing else happening either, it was likely that Israel was going to bomb Iran on their own.

But now, if this ends with UN inspectors crawling all over Syria and destroying their chemical weapons, Israel is likely to let Obama continue to lead the way with Iran.

Having UN inspectors crawling all over Iran and dismantling their illegal nuclear weapon program is an optimal result from Israel's perspective.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 01:46 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
But now, if this ends with UN inspectors crawling all over Syria and destroying their chemical weapons
there will be a whole lot more going on, for instance CIA will don the blue and carry out multiple anti Assad missions not related to chemical weapons.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 02:04 pm
John Kerry: U.S., Russia Reach Deal On Syrian Chemical Weapons

Quote:
GENEVA — A diplomatic breakthrough Saturday on securing and destroying Syria's chemical weapons stockpile averted the threat of U.S. military action for the moment and could swing momentum toward ending a horrific civil war.

Marathon negotiations between U.S. and Russian diplomats at a Geneva hotel produced a sweeping agreement that will require one of the most ambitious arms-control efforts in history.

The deal involves making an inventory and seizing all components of Syria's chemical weapons program and imposing penalties if President Bashar Assad's government fails to comply will the terms.

After days of intense day-and-night negotiations between U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry and Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov and their teams, the two powers announced they had a framework for ridding the world of Syria's chemicals weapons.

The U.S. says Assad used them in an Aug. 21 attack on the outskirts of Damascus, the capital, killing more than 1,400 civilians. That prompted President Barack Obama to ready American airstrikes on his order – until he decided last weekend to ask for authorization from the U.S. Congress. Then came the Russian proposal, and Obama asked Congress, already largely opposed to military intervention, to delay a vote.

Kerry and Lavrov said they agreed on the size of the chemical weapons inventory, and on a speedy timetable and measures for Assad to do away with the toxic agents.

But Syria, a Moscow ally, kept silent on the development, while Obama made clear that "if diplomacy fails, the United States remains prepared to act."