Do we really have to take military action to Syria?

mysteryman

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 05:28 pm
@RABEL222,
That "battleship" was actually a WW2 era light cruiser, named the General Belgrano, originally the USS Phoenix (CL46).
We sold it to Argentina after WW2, so it wasn't exactly very new or modern.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 07:34 pm
We can't afford infrastructure, jobs, etc., but our military can spend all it wants to on one adventure after the other. If the hawks have their way none of it will be reigned in in our lifetimes.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 08:28 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

We can't afford infrastructure, jobs, etc., but our military can spend all it wants to on one adventure after the other. If the hawks have their way none of it will be reigned in in our lifetimes.

eventually our bankers will refuse to let us borrow 40 cents of every dollar we spend, and we will have to make cuts. dont expect our leaders to act responsibility before they are forced to though, that is not what addicts do. hitting bottom is a requirement.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 09:00 pm
Bill Maher:
Maybe Syria is just about moving inventory - if we don't use up the old bombs, who's gonna buy the new ones!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 11:10 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

An American aircraft carrier hasn't been sunk in combat since WW2.
I seriously doubt if Iran has the capability to accomplish that feat now.
If they do, they haven't given any indication of that ability.
True. But an aircraft carrier isn't just 'one aircraft carrier' but additionally two cruisers, two or three destroyers, one frigate, two submarines, one supply/support vessel ...
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 11:43 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Libya cost $1 billion for operations not including replacement costs. an aircraft carrier would cost $12 billion to replace, and I am relatively confident Iran will make sure to take one out.

What does "take one out" mean?

It would take a direct hit by a tactical nuke to sink a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier.

But I'm sure a swarm of SS-N-27 Sizzlers could damage a carrier enough to send it home for rebuilding and repairs.

Does Syria have Sizzlers though? Would Russian forces dare to fire directly on US warships?

I doubt Iran will intervene (and also doubt they have Sizzlers). They might start squawking when the bombs start landing on their own heads though.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 11:44 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:
I am sure that Iran would give the U S of A and Israel a reason to bomb their military facilities by sinking an aircraft carrier.

The US and Israel do not need a "reason". The mere existence of Iran's illegal nuclear program is all the reason anyone needs.
oralloy

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 11:45 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

And rightly so. If no one smashes the bad guys, they will come and conquer and enslave us.
oralloy

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 11:46 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

eventually our bankers will refuse to let us borrow 40 cents of every dollar we spend, and we will have to make cuts. dont expect our leaders to act responsibility before they are forced to though, that is not what addicts do. hitting bottom is a requirement.

That is what the "sequester" is for. All we need to do is relax the cuts for the military and then set all the other cuts in stone.
MontereyJack

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 11:49 pm
Or of course we could take the far more sensible course of relaxing the non-military cuts and set the military cuts in stone.
oralloy

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2013 12:06 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
Or of course we could take the far more sensible course of relaxing the non-military cuts and set the military cuts in stone.

There is nothing sensible about allowing ourselves to be conquered and enslaved. And no, we won't be doing that. We are going to relax the cuts for the military and set the other cuts in stone.

You're not supposed to be paying attention to the sequester negotiations. Pay attention to the squabbling between the tea party and the liberals over "Obamacare".
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2013 12:08 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

That is what the "sequester" is for. All we need to do is relax the cuts for the military and then set all the other cuts in stone.

what is the figure....solves something like 3% of the over run? this is not a serious effort to make choices and put the books to rights, it is theater.

in case you missed my argument in other threads it is completly impossible to solve our nations budget problems without taking a hatchet to medical system spending and means testing entitlement program payouts. redistributing wealth from the rich would help a lot but globalization and the resulting instant and free flow of capital largly put an end to that choice, which was in large part the point of globalization.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2013 12:37 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:

And rightly so. If no one smashes the bad guys, they will come and conquer and enslave us.

let me guess..one of the good guys is one that uses the Constitution for toilet paper, habitually lies to its citizens, and has a long record of being generally incompetent at governance.

Am I right or am I right?
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2013 05:05 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

You and North Korea are in sync in thinking anyway.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2013 05:36 am
It's not just the money we squander on the bloated defense budget, either. There's a revolving door for retired military to go work for defense contractors, and they get procurement contracts which are so larcenous it would make mafia "good fellas" blush.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2013 05:54 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Yeah, right . . . the Syrian "navy" will blow right through the Sixth Fleet and enter the Atlantic, after which they will blow right through the Second Fleet, and land massive ground forces on U.S. soil to conquer and enslave Americans.

Any Syrians who actually made it to our shores would probably be arrested by the Port Authority police in New York and New Jersey. You are completely delusional.
oralloy

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2013 08:39 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
oralloy wrote:

Yeah, right . . . the Syrian "navy" will blow right through the Sixth Fleet and enter the Atlantic, after which they will blow right through the Second Fleet, and land massive ground forces on U.S. soil to conquer and enslave Americans.
Any Syrians who actually made it to our shores would probably be arrested by the Port Authority police in New York and New Jersey. You are completely delusional.

What Sixth Fleet and Second Fleet? If the liberals are allowed to eliminate the US military, there aren't going to be any such fleets standing in the way of the bad guys.

And best of luck to the Port Authority police after the liberals take all their guns away.
Setanta

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2013 09:30 am
@oralloy,
Straw man . . . which liberals do you allege intend to eliminate the American military? You're just making **** up, as usual. Which liberals do you allege intend to disarm the police? Let's have their names and verifiable quotes. Stop making **** up.

Being opposed to being screwed by the bloated "defense" industry does not equate with either doing away with the military or disarming the police. If you didn't make **** up, you'd have nothing to say.
Foofie

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2013 10:09 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

The thing is Foof that all expressions of national pride are war mongering.

It was you who huffed and puffed. Huffing and puffing seems to be an American hobby. Possibly an emotional need.

It was not I, since I am just one citizen of the U.S. Please don't empower me to be a representative of an entire nation. Silly dilly.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2013 10:12 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

You are living in a land of make believe where what you say isn't a load of old bollocks.

No. I am living in the U.S.A. The fact that I make silly references from your postings only shows my disdain for foreigners, especially Europeans.
0 Replies