Do we really have to take military action to Syria?

spendius

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 02:57 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Governments dont seem to think that honesty and transparency are required of them, or even that they should be aspirations.

I don't think they can afford to hawk.

I saw a comic once say that if you are honest and transparent you will end up pegged out on a washing line like a wombat drying in the sun.
spendius

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 03:05 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Are you saying hearing it left you feeling tranquil and content?

I didn't hear it. Had I done so I don't think I would have noticed except in the sense that it doesn't mean anything.

It has been a very pleasant day where I am and I have been tranquil and content on the sun lounger all day reading Spengler in between dozings and refills. You need Spengler to get your head screwed on regarding these matters.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 03:43 pm
@spendius,
I've spent today looking at dinosaur skeletons.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 04:15 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:
Governments dont seem to think that honesty and transparency are required of them, or even that they should be aspirations.

I saw a comic once say that if you are honest and transparent you will end up pegged out on a washing line like a wombat drying in the sun.

now Kerry is claiming that Team Obama is not making plans for what it will do if it does not get congessional approval to attack Syria, which would be gross incompetence if it were true, but it is a lie.

incompetent/moral degenerate...not sure which one I pick as worse, they are both pretty bad.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 04:20 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

spendius wrote:

Quote:

now Kerry is claiming that Team Obama is not making plans for what it will do if it does not get congessional approval to attack Syria, which would be gross incompetence if it were try, but it is a lie.

incompetent/moral degenerate...not sure which one I pick as worse, they are both pretty bad.

So you are saying that "not making contingency plans" would be gross incompetence...

...and since you are saying that their protestations that they are NOT making plans is a lie, which means you are saying that the president IS making contingency plans.

Damn, Hawk...you are so anxious to diss Obama and his administration that you have stopped making sense. Or, you are making sense...and have decided to show the administration in a favorable light.

Which is it?
spendius

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 05:16 pm
@hawkeye10,
Kerry even looks like he's lying.
spendius

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 05:19 pm
@spendius,
Why has Assad not been droned?
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 07:03 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Why has Assad not been droned?

he is not stupid enough to let the US know in real time where he is.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 07:34 pm
I am still not convinced that Assad is behind the use of gas.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 07:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'm viewing that attack by the US quite differently. I'm not sure what the goal is by striking Syria. What if he uses more chemical warfare against his own people?

What is our end game? At what point do we say we have punished Assad enough? After how many innocent Syrians are killed by the US?
JTT

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 07:51 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Or, you are making sense...and have decided to show the administration in a favorable light.

How does one show a band of war criminals/terrorists in a favorable light, Frank?
0 Replies

Moment-in-Time

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 07:54 pm
@revelette,
Quote:

I don't think it is meant to as it has been clear we don't want to get involved in the civil war. I think it is meant to send a message that chemical weapons use is not acceptable. Used to be pretty common wisdom.

You're spot on, Revelette. This is a civil war and the US is not intended to try and stop it or try for regime change; however, the strike is to let Bashar Assad understand he cannot with impunity use chemical weapons on his people and be allowed to go unpunished. (John McCain and his sidekick, Lindsay Graham, both said Obama is upgrading the Rebels weapons, which is a good thing.) Failure to strike Syria might energized Assad to use such acts again because no one will intervene with his evil actions now. This will also give the green light to Iran and others that nothing will happen if their people get out of control and they wish to use chemical weapons.

It's beginning to look as if the congress will vote to support Obama's strike on Syria. Looks like some muddy waters still ahead until next week, but the tide looks more favorable with John Boehner and Nancy Pelosi coming out in favor of a strike.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 08:15 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

I'm viewing that attack by the US quite differently. I'm not sure what the goal is by striking Syria. What if he uses more chemical warfare against his own people?

What is our end game? At what point do we say we have punished Assad enough? After how many innocent Syrians are killed by the US?

I agree with you on this too. I can see it your way and still not be convinced Assad is the one to blame.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 08:16 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
Here we go again with that sanctimonious hypocrisy from USians.

Have you no shame, MiT?
0 Replies

Moment-in-Time

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 10:12 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
Before I sign off for the night let me say I've just heard one part of the tactical plan to striking Syria: The plan is to degrade the **capacity** to deliver sarin gas. The strikes will touch the chemicals themselves because that would call for ground troops which is not on the table. Syria has a stockpile of chemical agents.... including mustard, sarin and VX....and "thousands" of munitions to deliver them, it said. These munitions or the capacity to deliver these chemicals will be blown up.

Night everyone.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/nerve-gas-sarin-used-in-syria-attack-says-us-as-obama-seeks-approval-for-military-strike-20130902-2szcs.html#ixzz2dtT2ljI2
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 11:02 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
A good trick. I wonder if our intelligence have been tapping into Syria's communications to learn where they're located.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 11:25 pm
@cicerone imposter,
US Intelligence seems to believe that Assad and his allies will not strike back hard. we know how often they have been wrong. once war is declared on Syria they have no reason to hold back. this is the perfect time to try to chase the US out if the region and to give Israel a lashing. I am still thinking that this is an ambush.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 4 Sep, 2013 03:56 am
@Moment-in-Time,
Moment-in-Time wrote:
Syria has a stockpile of chemical agents.... including mustard, sarin and VX....and "thousands" of munitions to deliver them, it said. These munitions or the capacity to deliver these chemicals will be blown up.

I wonder....

I'm not super confident in this prediction, but I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that they hit the nerve gas directly.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 4 Sep, 2013 04:02 am
@Moment-in-Time,
Quote:
(John McCain and his sidekick, Lindsay Graham, both said Obama is upgrading the Rebels weapons, which is a good thing.)

It's only the rebels "we trust".
roger

Reply Wed 4 Sep, 2013 04:22 am
@spendius,
Uh huh.
0 Replies