Need advice

R13521k

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 12:55 am
Hi, I need some advice. I am an Indian working for a company in the US. I'm 30 and single. I met this Chinese girl last week at an event in our company, and I am unable to get her out of my head. I found out that she is about 8-9 years younger but single. We barely spoke for half an hour or so, but sine then I've been constantly thinking about her for the entire week. Is she too young for me? Why am I feeling this way? Help!!!!

View best answer, chosen by R13521k
roger

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 01:06 am
@R13521k,
The age difference is not that great.

Sorry, but I have no idea why you are feeling the way you do.
R13521k

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 01:25 am
@roger,
Should I ask her out and get it over with? Or should I just wait and see if this is temporary?
savyrae

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 02:02 am
@R13521k,
Ask her out! It's obvious you have some feelings for her (:
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 08:14 am
@R13521k,
Ask her out before you make a bigger deal of it than you have already.
0 Replies

vonny
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 08:33 am
@R13521k,
You are obviously very attracted to this young woman, and the very fact that you chatted for so long indicates some mutual interest. The age difference isn't important - why not gather up the courage to speak to her again, and gauge whether her interest might stretch to a date with you? If she seems to happy to talk to you again, ask her out. Nothing ventured, nothing gained - the worst thing that can happen is that she will say no!
R13521k

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 10:40 am
@vonny,
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I think you guys are right, I'll go ahead and meet with her again and see how it goes, and that if she's even remotely interested in me. I am glad I could share it here. This situation is unusual for me and I really feel stupid for feeling like this.
PUNKEY

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 12:34 pm
Before you ask her out, find out if she is "available."

Perhaps she has a BF. Find out from a mutual friend.
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 12:45 pm
@R13521k,
It isn't stupid to feel shy, or unsure of one's emotions. I just hope that she is available, and that you manage to go out with her. If not - and perhaps she is already spoken for - then better luck next time. You sound a nice person, thoughtful and considerate - so you're sure to find the right person eventually.
R13521k

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 01:14 pm
@vonny,
I don't think that we have any mutual friends, which makes it harder. But I surely won't bother her if she's seeing someone else (though I really hope she isn't).
ehBeth

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 01:18 pm
@R13521k,
Ask her to join you for coffee/tea. Don't worry about it all too much.
R13521k

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 02:00 pm
@ehBeth,
That sounds good. Yeah, I'll try not to think or worry too much about it.
vonny

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 02:37 pm
@R13521k,
In your first post you said she was single - so you must have touched upon the subject with her? Even if she is in a relationship, it is possible that you might become friends. But ehBeth is right, don't fret about it - keep it as spontaneous as possible, just suggest something to her casually. Best of luck to you.
R13521k

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 03:04 pm
@vonny,
Yes, that's what I gathered while talking to her. I didnt ask her explicitly though. But it'll be a good idea to make sure! Thanks. Trying not to fret about it!
R13521k

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 08:42 pm
@R13521k,
Update:
Thanks for all the suggestions and encouragement here.
So early this week I approached her again, and casually asked her for a coffee on Tuesday and again for a lunch yesterday, to which she agreed, both the times. We spoke about random things, but nothing personal. There were some awkward silences as well. Now, I adore her even more, but it is still hard for me to guage if she has any interest in me at all. I think she is very nice person and just being friendly. (Both the lunch and the coffee were very very casual. The lunch was at my company cafeteria, so I don't think it means anything.).
This morning, I found out that this weekend I have to go out of the country on a business trip, for a whole month!! I guess I will wait until I comeback to move forward and ask her out. One month of restlessness..
vonny

Reply Fri 16 Aug, 2013 02:54 pm
@R13521k,
Thanks for the update - been wondering how you got on! It does sound as if she is interested in you too. I don't think she would have spent time with you on two occasions, however casual, if there wasn't some sort of spark between you.

It's unfortunate that the business trip has come at this particular time, just as you seemed to be making headway with the young woman, but perhaps it will give her time to think about you, and how she might get to know you better? It will certainly give you a chance to mull over your conversations with her, and decide how to proceed next.

Good luck - do return here when you get back. Have a good business trip.
R13521k

Reply Sun 18 Aug, 2013 02:32 am
@vonny,
Thanks! Yes, I'll get back here once I'm back and if I make any progress.
0 Replies

lillyandrew

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2013 04:34 am
@R13521k,
Ask her out! It's obvious you have some feelings for her.
R13521k

Reply Sun 25 Aug, 2013 12:52 am
@lillyandrew,
@Lillyandrew, yes, I plan to do so once I am back. I am already nervous and restless!
vonny

Reply Sun 25 Aug, 2013 04:57 am
@R13521k,
I do hope that she says yes. It sounds as if you are pretty keen on her.

Did you manage to let it drop in conversation that you would be away for a while, or will she be unaware that you went away on business?

Fingers crossed that she is free and will accept an invitation from you to go on a date - or even just or another work/lunch meeting, if you are planning to take it slowly.