is it safe to use a lightly rusted razor?

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 03:32 pm
@savyrae,
It's safe if you don't slightly cut yourself.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 03:38 pm
@Herald,
lol
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 04:24 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
I wonder if you have just helped me convince Tico.

No.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 04:26 pm
Me, I would have used the razor without a second thought. I always make sure there is no bacteria on any razor I use.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 04:40 pm
@edgarblythe,
I would be a little worried that it wasn't sharp (I like a sharp razor). But If the rust wasn't interfering with the sharp part of the blade, I would just wipe it off and use it.

Americans have a reputation for being neurotic about these things. I bet people in most cultures wouldn't be afraid of a little rust.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 05:43 pm
I get nicked worse than that almost every day on my job.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 05:47 pm
@edgarblythe,
No nicks for me! I use an electric razor.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 05:48 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I have tried electric razors at varying times in my life. I could never get them to take off the whiskers.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 05:58 pm
@edgarblythe,
My beard is very tough. I have never found an electric razor that could handle it.
Ticomaya

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 06:11 pm
@maxdancona,
I find a camp axe or rusty machete works best for my manly beard.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 06:21 pm
@maxdancona,
Well so much for the image of max as a slightly built, peach-fuzz faced liberal girly man.

Who knew Progressives could crush a Norelco?
0 Replies

marty39

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 06:35 pm
I'm over 80 years old and my father lived on a farm in part of his childhood. He told me that on farms, tetanus was spread mainly through horse droppings. If you found a piece of rusty metal on the ground it was likely to have been in contact with horse droppings. If you were cut by such a piece of rusty metal you were at risk for tetanus. That has nothing to do with rust on a razor that has been kept in your own home.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 07:08 pm
@marty39,
I think not. Not in my bathroom. I make the horse **** in the living room.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 07:11 pm
@edgarblythe,
And spread it, liberally, within this forum. Smile
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 07:23 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I load it on a trailer and am waiting for you to come take it home.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 07:46 pm
@edgarblythe,
You'll die before I come calling, so spare yourself the labor.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 07:57 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Aw come on Finn. I'll buy you a bottle of Lone Star and even give you the horse.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 09:07 pm
@marty39,
Marty, welcome to a2k.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 09:18 pm
On the bacteria, I tend to agree with those who say if a bunch of bacteria on a rusted piece of metal infected a person, those bacteria were there by virtue of where the rusty metal was/was affected by - Clostridium tetanus in soil or a combo of soil and horse ****, or because somehow methcillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus (or the equivalent) somehow got all over a basketball hoop rim) ....

or, that a non infectious razor blade made a cut in a face that already had MRSA as part of the skin flora.

That's today's opinion and I'm sticking to it.

There was a sort of famous outbreak of MRSA in a major university football locker room a few years ago. It was a big deal to get rid of it, with many precautions taken since in that regard.
0 Replies

Herald

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 10:06 pm
@maxdancona,
RE: 'little rust'
- The tiny pebbles turn over the big chariot
- The Devil is in the details ...
Do you want more proverbs to this.
The rust cannot guarantee smooth, clean, sterile and sharp edge of the razor. It cannot guarantee even that you will be able to clean up the razor well. The razor is not shaving smoothly any more, but rather disrupts the skin tissue ... and the tissues underlying it, thus destroying biological barriers and paving the pathway to germs, viruses, bacteria, aggressive strains of Candida, etc. ... to invade the tissues.
It doesn't matter whether the germs have been on the razor before the rust or after the rust, whether they have been on the skin before or after the shaving ... or appeared on the scene much later.
The invasion of the nervous system by Candida overgrowth (MS) for example comprises a 'fatal system error', no matter whether it is caused by correlation or causation, or something else.
Conclusion: the usage of a rusted razor is not an idea of first smartness ... and never has been.