Early this year (2013) a young man in NYCity went to school and in the afternoon, he played basketball in the school gym ( indoors). Nothing very notable happened to the young man, except that at some point in his basketball game he jumped up to the basketball rim, to dunk the ball and in so doing, he scrapped his arm along the rusty, dirty basketball rim.
Being young and carefree, the boy didn't give his injured arm a second thought.
He went home, ate dinner with his folks, did some homework and went to bed.
In the middle of the night, he felt very sick, and was running a fever. His parents thought the boy might have caught the flu and took him to the ER, where he was evaluated, given some medication and then sent home.
The boy didn't get better. His temp rose and he seemed to be entering a comatose state. Back to the ER the parents went with the young man.
ER Docs again evaluated the boy and considered his case severe enough that he was hospitalized. Blood work and other tests indicated very strongly that the young man had septic shock.
A detailed history taken from the parents suggested strongly that the boy had encounted a severe bacterial infection when he bruised his arm on the rusty, dirty backetball rim and that this infection, left untreated resulted in the boy's septic shock..
The young man died as a result of his infection and the resultant septic shock.
This sad result could have been avoided.
By the way, the folks on this thread may have thought that bacterial infections from rusty and dirty objects ( basketball rims, razors, etc. )
are funny, but to the parents of the deceased young man, septic shock and bacterial infections are not a laughing matter.
This is a very sad case.