The best musical of all time?

BlueMonkey

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 10:15 pm
"Into the Woods"

I love how the songs are not repetitive and they actually move the story along.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 10:34 pm
I lovedlovedloved "The Unsinkable Molly Brown" with Debbie Reynolds and Harve Presnell. Definitely on my top ten list. But the absolute best of all time? Just too hard to call.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 11:08 pm
The Sound of Music and the King and I. After that, The West Side Story and Singing in the Rain.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 12:57 pm
I would say, uncontestably, The Sound of Music.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 01:01 pm
I think most of us that saw Sound of Music for the very first time had the same reaction to that opening scene; we shivered - it was so beautiful.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 01:03 pm
sound of music #1
West Side Story #2
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 04:54 pm
ci....good to see you again, yes, that opening scene and the clarity and purity of Julie Andrew's voice.....one in a century....

I like your choices willlow_tl

I allso enjoyed Cabaret, All that Jazz, and Chicago but was not won over by the odd mixing of modern and old songs in Moulin Rouge.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 05:07 pm
Hi shepaints, Nice to see you too!
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 06:09 pm
shepaints: thanks...Chicago was grand...and may be my #4...but Moulin Rouge is definitely # 3...:-)

one that i loathe is My Fair Lady...when she screams "Poppies...Poppies for sale..i cringe!

Love the king and i too.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 06:32 pm
omg willow.... My fair Lady is now my No 2,
then WWS, No 3
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 06:38 pm
I have a special affinity for the King and I, because our sons were in a high school production of the King and I when we lived in Naperville, IL. They used the costumes from the original NY production.
0 Replies

billy falcon

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 03:41 am
SHOWBOAT - 1927
A landmark musical. The music and songs are exceptonal.
First piece of theatre to show black people in a favorable light. Not as servants or comedic characters.

WESTSIDE STORY
Another landmark musical. Driven by the power of Romeo and Juliet, it made serious material (a tragic story and a killing on stage) acceptable. A far cry from the genre "musical comedy."
Also, the plot of Westside is developed in the lyrics and songs, not in narration.
0 Replies

Maries

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 01:29 am
"Singing in the rain has been named often as the best Musical ever made.
it is incomparable!
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 03:00 am
Can I say Mary Poppins, or am I going to be thrown out for that!

I am quite a fan of musicals, I like most of the ones that have been named here, but Mary is just IT!

Very Happy
0 Replies

strawberry333

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 10:54 am
Best Musicals
Hands down, my #1 favorite musical is Singing in the Rain- I've loved this movie since I was 5 or 6 years old. West Side story is definately a close second......

And I'm with you Bohne- how can you not LOVE Mary Poppins?!
0 Replies

a monkeys uncle

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 05:05 pm
Nobody mentioned any of the Disney classics, and I don't recall reading a mention of Grease (the first one of course). Wow.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 05:14 pm
Did anyone mention Gypsy with Roz Russell? Or Mame, again with Ms. Russell? 2 more of my favs.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 05:26 pm
Les Miserables......... oh..... what a musical....the best, for moi

of course, I'm kinda a von Trapp gal... oh.......... don't even get me started!

<The Hills are alive with the sound of Muuuuuuuuuuusic> <runs over, grabs some edelweiss.....>
jespah

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 07:10 pm
@Izzie,
Izzie, I will duet with you on So Long, Farewell ....

I love that this ole topic still has legs! Smile
Izzie

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 07:20 pm
@jespah,
Oh........ Jes..... Ima singing "Joseph - Any Dream Will Do" at the moment.... Ha... so badly too!

LOVE that musical - gotta get to see it in the West End! So much to do, so little time - HA!
0 Replies