Kooskia Internment Camp In Idaho

izzythepush

Reply Sat 3 Aug, 2013 06:38 am
@JTT,
I'm not raking over old threads, you know what you did.

Truth will out, will it? I notice you wrote with great familiarity about part of Idaho earlier on. That's not a State that attracts a lot of non American visitors.
JTT

Reply Sat 3 Aug, 2013 06:41 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Yeh true, Im g;ad you've opened the door on that part of our history.

Yeah, that was a real expose, wasn't it, Farmer? Rolling Eyes

Quote:
In our defense, we were not alone , nor unique in history. All nations that dabbled in "Empire" practiced from the same rule books

Quit your whining about what all this does to you and the US, Farmer. That is disingenuous all the way to outright lying.

Do you think that the US and the UK should be held to account for their war crimes and terrorist activities?

Quote:

Robert H Jackson, Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court (1941–1954). He was also the chief United States prosecutor at the Nuremberg Trials.

Opening Address to the International Military Tribunal at the Nuremberg Trials (November 10, 1945).
If we can cultivate in the world the idea that aggressive war-making is the way to the prisoner's dock rather than the way to honors, we will have accomplished something toward making the peace more secure.

Opening Address to the International Military Tribunal at the Nuremberg Trials (November 10, 1945).
We must never forget that the record on which we judge these defendants is the record on which history will judge us tomorrow. To pass these defendants a poisoned chalice is to put it to our own lips as well.
Nuremberg Tribunal.

If certain acts of violation of treaties are crimes, they are crimes whether the United States does them or whether Germany does them, and we are not prepared to lay down a rule of criminal conduct against others which we would not be willing to have invoked against us.
International Conference on Military Trials, London, 1945, Dept. of State Pub.No. 3080 (1949), p.330.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 3 Aug, 2013 06:46 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:

Obviously, nothing, or you would be able to easily point it up. Was there some truth there that caused you to bow out instead of addressing?

Quote:
Truth will out, will it? I notice you wrote with great familiarity about part of Idaho earlier on. That's not a State that attracts a lot of non American visitors.

I see that you don't know much about these things either.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 3 Aug, 2013 02:34 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

The point you made needs to be expanded, in my opinion, in that the "real" America and all the feelings of Americans are really not seen by tourists that look up at the tall buildings in Manhattan, or look at the "Hollywood" sign in California. Tourists that visit Manhattan might think that the U.S. is like London with all its diversity. Au contraire, the U.S. is quite a parochial nation, in my opinion.

izzythepush

Reply Sat 3 Aug, 2013 04:22 pm
@Foofie,
The only reason anyone would go to Idaho is because they've got friends and family there. What has Idaho got? What happened there? Everyone's heard of New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Miami, Las Vegas, Washington DC, and New Orleans. The only people who'd want to go to Idaho are those that have seen all of the above, and some more, (Boston, Philadelphia, Richmond, Dallas, Pheonix,) first.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 3 Aug, 2013 04:36 pm
@izzythepush,
Some people go to Idaho because of its scenery, other for its famous fly-fishing. People go to paint there. Others go because they aren't interested in vacationing in cities. It's well-known as a skiing and mountain-biking destination. It's a picture postcard of a state.

http://photos.realestateadmin.com/imageurl/CMS/106/Idaho%20State.jpg

You underestimate its appeal considerably.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 3 Aug, 2013 04:37 pm
@izzythepush,
Anyone interested in American literature knows about Idaho - and some go there on pilgrimages - as it is where Hemingway lived his final years.

http://www.ernesthemingwaycollection.com/About-Hemingway/Ernest-Hemingway-in-Idaho.aspx

It's beautiful country.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 3 Aug, 2013 04:39 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
The only people who'd want to go to Idaho are those that have seen all of the above, and some more, (Boston, Philadelphia, Richmond, Dallas, Pheonix,) first.

I know a number of people who have no interest in travelling to any of those cities but who would go to Idaho. Not everyone likes cities - to live in or to visit.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 3 Aug, 2013 04:40 pm
@ehBeth,
I'm sure it's very popular with Americans, and has a lot of charm, but if someone had saved up enough money to fly all the way to America from Europe, Idaho would not be the No. 1 destination.

If I want to see mountains I can see them a lot cheaper in Scotland.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 3 Aug, 2013 04:46 pm
@izzythepush,
I think you understand your own interests and preferences but they are not universally shared.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 3 Aug, 2013 04:51 pm
@ehBeth,
If people want to get away from it all, and experience the wilderness they're less likely to want to travel thousands of miles to do so when it's available at home.

Turn it around, how many people from America on a first visit to the UK would shun London and opt for rural Northumberland?
ehBeth

Reply Sat 3 Aug, 2013 05:12 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Turn it around, how many people from America on a first visit to the UK would shun London and opt for rural Northumberland?

If I measure it by people I know I'd say most people would skip London.

I don't think you understand how amazing the North American wilderness is. Europeans and other tourists are often stunned by the vast emptiness and the distances between places. There is a terrific business in fly-in camps that Europeans go to be far away from cities.

I have cousins who thought they could rent a van and travel from California to Washington State, cross the U.S. to Maine and then travel down the east coast to Florida in two days. They gave up on the cross-country trip when they realized they'd still be in California when they'd expected their trip to be over.

Europeans sometimes think they should be in other countries when they're still in the city they started their trip in. Some of them like the emptiness and scenery so much they try to immigrate.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 3 Aug, 2013 05:14 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

The Rockies are mountains.

I'm sure the scenery in Scotland is amazing - I know it's thought to be similar to the area of Ontario I grew up in - that's why there were so many Scottish settlers - reminded them of home - but it's nothing like the Rockies.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 3 Aug, 2013 05:42 pm
The Rockies were so spectacular that my dog sat up and took notice, after sleeping practically all the way from Rhode Island.
JTT

Reply Sat 3 Aug, 2013 09:12 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Everyone's heard of New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Miami, Las Vegas, Washington DC, and New Orleans.

You couldn't pay me enough to visit those hell holes!
JTT

Reply Sat 3 Aug, 2013 09:25 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:

Those aren't mountains, Izzy.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 3 Aug, 2013 09:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
We passed through Idaho on our way to Salt Lake City last year when my wife and I did the National Parks tour in May. All I know about Idaho is that they produce potatoes. Idaho produces about one-third of the fall potato crop in the US.
Setanta

Reply Sun 4 Aug, 2013 02:00 am
@cicerone imposter,
Although i knew about the internment camps in the U.S. and in Canada, i had never known there was a forced labor camp. I suspect that one could visit Idaho and not know about that from anything they saw there.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 4 Aug, 2013 02:01 am
In Canada, the equivalent of Idaho potatoes are the P.E.I. potatoes--Prince Edward Island.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 4 Aug, 2013 04:31 am
@ehBeth,
I'm sure you're right, the fact that you can't move in London without hearing an American accent, and that I've never heard an American accent in Northumberland, counts for nothing.

All the adverts for holidays in Florida, California and New York must be to try to lure Europeans away from the top tourist spot that is Idaho.