The Zimmerman rescue hoax

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2013 08:18 pm
Is anyone dumb enough to believe that George Zimmerman (the man and the legend) rescued a family from a burning car days after his acquittal? This reminds me of the stories of Elian Gonzales brought to Florida by singing dolphins with halos.

It seems obvious that this was invented by the Sanford police to fit their agenda, and it does fit the "Zimmerman action hero" narrative pretty well. But, the family that was selected to play the role is now having second thoughts about lying to national media.

JTT

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2013 08:30 pm
@maxdancona,
Yeah, I read about that. As they were scrambling out of the burning wreck, George thought they were attacking him so he shot them all.
JTT

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2013 08:32 pm
@JTT,
Hey, where did Revelette get to?
revelette

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2013 08:49 pm
@JTT,
Oh, I changed my mind about posting in this topic. Hoping I could do it before anyone saw it. Oh, well.

Anyway, there is no proof it is a hoax, just googled around on the topic and apparently there were calls to 911 and the sheriff office confirmed it. The family decided Zimmerman was too toxic right now to be associated with the story.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2013 09:02 pm
@revelette,
I would sure like to see the accident report submitted to their insurance company.
JTT

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2013 09:56 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Yeah, I read about that.

This, and the rest, was a joke, as most would have figured out. But for the record, this was the first I heard about it.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2013 10:20 pm
@maxdancona,
Whether it's true or false, not many heroes go out and claim their heroism after their good deed. That's the "normal" response of heroes.

As a matter of fact there was a guy who pulled out an old man out of a burning car just a couple days later, and he told the media he's no hero.

0 Replies

revelette

Reply Thu 25 Jul, 2013 07:09 am
@maxdancona,
I honestly would be surprised if it turned into a hoax with the sheriff confirming it was Zimmerman who helped the victims at the crash.

Having said that, I am wondering how this rescue fits into the whole "soft" narrative the defense went to such great pains to paint to the jury in the trial. I guess he got beefed up with the extra pounds he gained in jail. It is also weird that the family seems so connected to Zimmerman's attorneys. It seems they called Zimmerman's attorneys when reporters started showing up asking questions. Why call Zimmerman's attorneys?

Quote:
A man helped out of an overturned SUV by George Zimmerman canceled plans to speak with reporters Wednesday.

Mark Gerstle was scheduled to appear at a news conference at 1:30 p.m. ET in Florida, Zimmerman's attorney Mark O'Mara said. Gerstle was going to offer details about the accident in which he, his wife and their two children were helped out of their SUV by Zimmerman and another man when it turned over.

Shawn Vincent, a spokesperson for Zimmerman's attorneys, said the family helped by Zimmerman canceled the news conference because "they don't want to be in the spotlight."

The family contacted O'Mara's office Tuesday and said they were concerned by the number of reporters trying to reach them. Reporters have been outside their home and talking to neighbors and relatives, Vincent said.

Vincent suggested a press conference. "I told them if you address the media, you can give them the story they need and move on," Vincent said. "We were doing it to help them out because they are going to be harassed until someone gets their story."

But before the press conference got underway, the family issued a statement Wednesday saying they no longer wanted to speak with reporters.

source
DrewDad

Reply Thu 25 Jul, 2013 07:13 am
@maxdancona,
No hoax.

But no "burning car," either.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 25 Jul, 2013 07:14 am
@revelette,
Zimmerman's attorney is also Zimmerman's PR spokesman. His job is to make Zimmerman look like a hero. Since when the story broke the local law enforcement took heat for not taking it seriously, this story helps the local police as well.

Everyone in this story has a personal interest in making George Zimmerman out to be a hero. I don't know what really happened... but the way it was reported is too perfect for the PR effort to be real.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 25 Jul, 2013 07:39 am
@DrewDad,
If this accident had happened in Germany and Zimmerman hadn't helped ...

Quote:
Section 323c
Omission to effect an easy rescue

Whosoever does not render assistance during accidents or a common danger or emergency although it is necessary and can be expected of him under the circumstances, particularly if it is possible without substantial danger to himself and without violation of other important duties shall be liable to imprisonment not exceeding one year or a fine.
revelette

Reply Thu 25 Jul, 2013 07:45 am
@Walter Hinteler,
What if an accident happens on a busy highway, would there be multiple arrest for all those who didn't stop?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 25 Jul, 2013 08:06 am
@revelette,
Well, at least the police/prosecution tries to get them. (We don't arrest here those who get accused so often.)

Legal requirement for citizens to assist people in distress, unless doing so would put themselves or others in harm's way is regulated by law in most countries Continental Europe, Latin America and much of Africa.
revelette

Reply Thu 25 Jul, 2013 08:13 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Not to make light of your laws, but I am reminded of the last episode (and realizing I am going far astray of the topic) of Seinfeld where they all get arrested for not coming to the rescue of a heavy weight man getting robbed but instead laughed at him.

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 25 Jul, 2013 08:17 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
(We don't arrest here those who get accused so often.)

Some other differences, explained in short:
- the German prosecutor has formal responsibility for investigation, and the police are considered to be a subordinate helping agency,
- there's a single national criminal code, a single national code of criminal procedure, and unified court system,
- the German police are not allowed to arrest a suspect simply because they have probable cause to believe that the suspect has committed an offence. They are permitted to arrest without a warrant only when the suspect is caught in the act or when there is a risk of flight or a problem in identifying the suspect. (Detention for longer than one day requires a warrant issued by a court.)
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 25 Jul, 2013 08:25 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
family from a burning car days after his acquittal?

Burning car please link to any news story that the car/SUB was on fire!!!!!!

Quote:
invented by the Sanford police to fit their agenda

First it was the state police as far as I know not the Sanford police and second do you think that we never landed on the moon and President Kennedy was killed by the CIA.
BillRM

Reply Thu 25 Jul, 2013 08:31 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Everyone in this story has a personal interest in making George Zimmerman out to be a hero.

The family in the SUB?

You know the people that the anti George crowd fright away from saying anything nice about him those people have a personal interest in making him look good?
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 25 Jul, 2013 08:37 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Under our common laws and the laws of most states a stranger have zero duty to render aid to someone else.

You could not be charge if you sat around a pool watching a child or even an infant drown before your eyes unless you have some duty to that child such as a parent or a baby sitter or a pool life guard.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 25 Jul, 2013 08:55 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Under our common laws and the laws of most states ...
I agree, of course, about "common law" and about "state law" (in the USA).
revelette

Reply Thu 25 Jul, 2013 09:00 am
@BillRM,
It is my understand the accident was confirmed by the Sheriff's department.

Quote:
An accident report released by the Seminole County Sheriff's Office says Gerstle and his family were helped when their blue Ford Explorer turned over at 5:45 p.m. on July 17 in the Sanford area.

The accident occurred at an intersection not far from where Zimmerman, 29, fatally shot Trayvon Martin, 17, in February 2012.

"They got everyone out of the car," one caller told police in a call to 911. "They spun out right on that turn as it's coming in to merge into I-4."

Smoke started coming out of the SUV after the family escaped, the 911 caller said. "It's smoking pretty bad."

"Zimmerman was not a witness to the crash and left after making contact with the deputy," the sheriff's office said.

Zimmerman's rescue came days after he was acquitted of second-degree murder and manslaughter charges by a jury of six.

source
0 Replies