Spouse collected Disability does if effect how much I can collect

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2013 11:09 am
My spouse of 35 years passed and was collecting disability starting at age 55. He just passed this May. I am 61. At 62 I would like to start collecting SS from his account and not touch mine till I'm 66. Does SS go on the amount he was getting at his death or at a certain age. He was 71 when he passed.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,773 • Replies: 4
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2013 04:26 pm
Are you sure he was collecting disability? He would have started collecting his regular Social Security benefits after reaching age 65.

In any case, you should talk to someone at SS office about you collecting on his account. You can't collect both his and yours, it would only be his if it was higher than yours.

pwrightt

Reply Mon 15 Jul, 2013 08:13 pm
@PUNKEY,
Absolutely sure he was collecting disability for years. He had severe Alzheimers and on dialyses. His checked never changed much from 64 to 65. I want to collect his until I am 66. Then I will apply for mine which would be higher.
PUNKEY

Reply Tue 16 Jul, 2013 07:36 am
@pwrightt,
Your post was not clear. It sounded like he collected disability until he died at age 72. He would have started regular SS at age 65.

Yes, you can collect the survivor's amount until yours kicks in and take the larger amount. Call the SS's 800 number for info. They are really great on the phone.
pwrightt

Reply Sat 9 Nov, 2013 02:01 pm
@PUNKEY,
I have been so busy but wanted to thank you for helping me with this answer. I actually went to the SS office and yes you are right. At 65 changed to regular SS and yes I can collect his till I reach 66, then I will draw from mine.
0 Replies