A Food intolerance or a food allergy?

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2013 06:25 am
Hi health experts,
May I check with you all the symptom of food intolerance and how can I differentiate if it is a food intolerance or a food allergy?

View best answer, chosen by Loh Jane
PUNKEY

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2013 06:39 am
It's the same. If you have an allergy to certain foods, then you are intolerant of that food.
contrex
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2013 10:32 am
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:
It's the same. If you have an allergy to certain foods, then you are intolerant of that food.

That is not true. Both 'intolerance' and 'allergy' have clearly understood meanings in a medical context. They are very different things. A food intolerance can cause some of the same signs and symptoms as a food allergy, so people often confuse the two. A true food allergy causes an immune system reaction that affects numerous organs in the body. It can cause a range of symptoms. In some cases, an allergic food reaction can be severe or life-threatening. In contrast, food intolerance symptoms are generally less serious and are limited to digestive problems. Put simply, if you have a nut allergy then food containing even traces might kill you, but an intolerance e.g. to lactose, will just make you feel uncomfortable if you consume food containing that ingredient.

The real (biological) difference is that a food allergy is related to your immune system whereas food intolerance is related to your digestive system. Many more people have food intolerances than have food allergies.

Loh Jane

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 01:25 am
@contrex,
Good afternoon contrex.Do you have a food intolerance?
roger

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 01:34 am
@Loh Jane,
I do! Whether it crawls, flies, or swims, my stomach won't tolerate anything with more than four feet, or less than two.
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 01:35 am
@Loh Jane,
Yes, he has a very short fuse when it comes to turnips.
0 Replies

Loh Jane

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 01:50 am
@contrex,
How can one avoid triggering the food intolerance?
Loh Jane

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 01:53 am
@roger,
I am frustrated too,sigh.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 10:26 am
@Loh Jane,
If it's a genuine, physical intolerance, I don't think you can do anything except avoid it.

My aversion to things with too many feet is more a mental thing.
contrex

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 10:50 am
@Loh Jane,
Loh Jane wrote:

How can one avoid triggering the food intolerance?

By not eating the relevant food.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 10:02 pm
@contrex,
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/food-allergy/AN01109

What's the difference between a food intolerance and food allergy?

Answer
from James T C Li, M.D., Ph.D. : A food intolerance can cause some of the same signs and symptoms as a food allergy, so people often confuse the two.

Contrex: A food intolerance can cause some of the same signs and symptoms as a food allergy, so people often confuse the two.

James T C Li, M.D., Ph.D.: A true food allergy causes an immune system reaction that affects numerous organs in the body. It can cause a range of symptoms. In some cases, an allergic food reaction can be severe or life-threatening. In contrast, food intolerance symptoms are generally less serious and are limited to digestive problems.

Contrex: A true food allergy causes an immune system reaction that affects numerous organs in the body. It can cause a range of symptoms. In some cases, an allergic food reaction can be severe or life-threatening. In contrast, food intolerance symptoms are generally less serious and are limited to digestive problems.
Loh Jane

Reply Wed 10 Jul, 2013 03:52 am
Sometimes I can drink milk and sometimes I can't.I really cannot comprehend.
Loh Jane

Reply Wed 10 Jul, 2013 03:59 am
@roger,
Coffee and milk give me trouble but I like them.Hence,my stomach always suffers.
PUNKEY

Reply Thu 11 Jul, 2013 08:03 am
@Loh Jane,
You may be lactose intolerant. Cut out the milk and any other dairy products and see how you feel - at least 2 weeks.

Coffee is a harsh liquid. Are you putting creamers in it? Cut it out and switch to green teas or herbal teas for at least 2 weeks.
JTT

Reply Thu 11 Jul, 2013 06:40 pm
@PUNKEY,
bump
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2013 04:46 pm
bump
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2013 01:01 pm
@JTT,
bump
contrex

Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2013 01:37 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

bump

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAfthQTqj24
JTT

Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2013 01:52 pm
@contrex,
@contrex,
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/food-allergy/AN01109

What's the difference between a food intolerance and food allergy?

Answer
from James T C Li, M.D., Ph.D. : A food intolerance can cause some of the same signs and symptoms as a food allergy, so people often confuse the two.

Contrex: A food intolerance can cause some of the same signs and symptoms as a food allergy, so people often confuse the two.

James T C Li, M.D., Ph.D.: A true food allergy causes an immune system reaction that affects numerous organs in the body. It can cause a range of symptoms. In some cases, an allergic food reaction can be severe or life-threatening. In contrast, food intolerance symptoms are generally less serious and are limited to digestive problems.

Contrex: A true food allergy causes an immune system reaction that affects numerous organs in the body. It can cause a range of symptoms. In some cases, an allergic food reaction can be severe or life-threatening. In contrast, food intolerance symptoms are generally less serious and are limited to digestive problems.
contrex

Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2013 01:55 pm
@JTT,
Oh, right... you're being a tosser, as usual. I only just twigged. Sorry! It must really suck being you.