Snowdon is a dummy

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2015 12:40 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
If a person is deemed to be a danger to society…that person has to be kept confined. Not sure why you Germans feel differently, but I hope it works for you.
We do have a kind of "preventive detention" (Sicherungsverwahrung for those convicted person who present a danger to the general public § 60 et sqq (less than 350).
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2015 02:22 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Some criminals are subject to whole life tariffs, only the most heinous of criminals mind you. At the moment there are 56.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_prisoners_with_whole-life_tariffs
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2015 02:31 pm
@izzythepush,
As I said...we are MUCH harsher here.

We have over 50,000 prisoners who are in prison with sentences of "life without possibility of parole."

We have almost a half million people in prison for life (but with the possibility of parole after 25 -35 years) and a host of other people in prison with sentences of over 100 years, which is effectively a sentence of life.

Not a pretty picture.

And I still say that capital punishment seems more humane...less cruel...than staying in prison for the entire of one's life.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2015 02:40 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Maybe you could revise the whole legal system and do away with capital punishment at the same time.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2015 05:35 pm
@izzythepush,
Charge away than because you can include me in Franks opinion. A question, how would you feel about being sentenced to life in prison?
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2015 06:20 pm
@Frank Apisa,
The unfortunate aspect of our prison system is the preponderance of blacks serving prison time more than whites for the same crime, and we spend more on prisoners than we do for our children's education.

It's a sham and a shame of this country.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2015 02:35 am
@RABEL222,
Not happy, but I don't go round committing crimes. How would you feel if you were on a jury that sentenced an innocent man to death?
BillRM

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2015 06:25 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
How would you feel if you were on a jury that sentenced an innocent man to death?

About the same as sentencing an innocent man to a lifetime in prison and in modern times there is zero proof that an innocent man had been executed in the US.

As the technology of criminal forensic get even better the chance of that happening is getting more and more remote.

Now it is a shame that Jodi Arias just avoidance a death sentence by one vote for example.

Some crimes call out for the death sentence such as Arias crime and surely the Boston Bomber.

izzythepush

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2015 06:58 am
@BillRM,
That's nonsense, google Cameron Todd Willingham. You were the one who argued that the state of Texas should execute someone without examining DNA evidence that could exonerate him.

One big difference between imprisoning an innocent man and executing him is that you can always release the innocent man, you can't bring him back to life.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2015 06:59 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
Some crimes call out for the death sentence such as Arias crime and surely the Boston Bomber.

Only if you get a kick out of killing people.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2015 07:01 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

That's nonsense, google Cameron Todd Willingham. You were the one who argued that the state of Texas should execute someone without examining DNA evidence that could exonerate him.

One big difference between imprisoning an innocent man and executing him is that you can always release the innocent man, you can't bring him back to life.

Yeah, but it has been documented that murderers allowed to live...have lived and gone on to kill again. Lots and lots of times, in fact.

There is not a single documented case of a person executed for murderer who has ever killed again.

Anyway...capital punishment is barbaric...but in my opinion, it still is preferable to life in prison without the chance of parole.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2015 07:21 am
@Frank Apisa,
So? Why do you think they killed again? Clearly they weren't rehabilitated, and let out too soon. Your penal system doesn't really do rehabilitation, when prisoners are used as cheap slave labour there's too much of a profit in it.

And there's been plenty of cases of people who have killed and been rehabilitated. Just one example.

Quote:
Erwin James, full name Erwin James Monahan (born 1957) is a convicted murderer and Guardian journalist. James was released in August 2004 having served 20 years of a life sentence. While in prison he wrote a regular column, and continues to write as well as do charity work since his release. While in prison he did not receive fees for his articles; instead the fees were paid to the charity, the Prisoners' Advice Service, which had helped him

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erwin_James<br />
BillRM

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2015 07:27 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:

You can not give back 40 years of someone life either!!!!!!!!!!

Next there is no solid proof that Cameron Todd Willingham was innocent of killing his children. The best that could be said is there now some reasonable doubt that he was guilty of the crime.

As I already stated improvement in criminal forensics made executing a wrong person less and less likely.

Nor is there any reason not to executed someone like the Boston bomber or Nidal Malik Hasan the killer of unarmed solders at Fort Hood as there is zero repeat zero question of their guilt.

I would cheerfully put the needle into either of those two gentlemen arms when the time came to do so.

izzythepush

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2015 07:27 am
It is said to be a deterrent. I cannot agree. There have been murders since the beginning of time, and we shall go on looking for deterrents until the end of time. If death were a deterrent, I might be expected to know. It is I who have faced them last, young men and girls, working men, grandmothers. I have been amazed to see the courage with which they take that walk into the unknown. It did not deter them then, and it had not deterred them when they committed what they were convicted for. All the men and women whom I have faced at that final moment convince me that in what I have done I have not prevented a single murder.

Albert Pierrepoint. (He executed at least 400 people)
izzythepush

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2015 07:29 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

I would cheerfully put the needle into either of those two gentlemen arms when the time came to do so.

I know you would, but not everybody fantasises about killing.
BillRM

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2015 07:30 am
@izzythepush,
As I said there are some crimes that the death penalty is the only punishment that fit the crime.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2015 07:34 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
I know you would, but not everybody fantasises about killing.

Maybe you do not care if someone placed a bomb next to an eight year old child or shoot up a room full of unarmed military men and women but I happen to find such misdeeds so awful that to allow such people to go on living would be a great injustice and would be more then willing to help carry out the punishments if need be,
izzythepush

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2015 07:35 am
@BillRM,
So you want to change the law to guilty until proven innocent? That figures, funny how all of that changes when you start talking about child killers and rapists.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2015 07:38 am
@BillRM,
I do care, there are alternatives to capital punishment. People like you donated money to terrorists so you can read about British children being blown up in Manchester. Over here we don't allow fundraising for people to carry out terrorist atrocities in America. That's the difference.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2015 07:55 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

So? Why do you think they killed again? Clearly they weren't rehabilitated, and let out too soon.

Actually, Izzy, many of them do not wait until they "get out" to kill again. They kill prison guards or fellow inmates.

Quote:
Your penal system doesn't really do rehabilitation, when prisoners are used as cheap slave labour there's too much of a profit in it.

Almost none are used as cheap slave labor. For the most part, they are warehoused. You are correct that we do not stress rehabilitation. Another mark against us.

Quote:
And there's been plenty of cases of people who have killed and been rehabilitated. Just one example.

Quote:
Erwin James, full name Erwin James Monahan (born 1957) is a convicted murderer and Guardian journalist. James was released in August 2004 having served 20 years of a life sentence. While in prison he wrote a regular column, and continues to write as well as do charity work since his release. While in prison he did not receive fees for his articles; instead the fees were paid to the charity, the Prisoners' Advice Service, which had helped him

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erwin_James<br />

Nor have I ever suggested otherwise.