Snowdon is a dummy

BillRM

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 05:46 am
@revelette2,
Quote:
Furthermore, the constitution does not provide us with the assurance of privacy

Wrong as far as the SC is concern as their rulings had been that the right to privacy is both imply and needed for the other rights to function in the constitution.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 05:49 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
That's just how society developed. Intrusions into the home are seen as a grave violation.

Well you have a right to your opinion but I do not happen to share it nor does the SC of late with special note of their comments concerning smart phone privacy.
revelette2

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 07:32 am
@BillRM,
True, however, from what I read, they can remove the battery and store it so that the data can't be erased. Also if there are exigent circumstances there are exceptions.

Major Ruling Shields Privacy of Cellphones

Quote:
The possibility that evidence could be destroyed or hidden by “remote wiping” or encryption programs, Chief Justice Roberts wrote, was remote, speculative and capable of being addressed. The police may turn off a phone, remove its battery or place it in a bag made of aluminum foil.

Should the police confront an authentic “now or never” situation, the chief justice wrote, they may well be entitled to search the phone under a separate strand of Fourth Amendment law, one concerning “exigent circumstances.”
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 10:31 am
@revelette2,
You're still missing the point. I posted this on the previous page, and it applies to all searches.

Quote:
Quote:
probable cause
n. sufficient reason based upon known facts to believe a crime has been committed or that certain property is connected with a crime.
BillRM

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 10:45 am
@revelette2,
Well the SC jurist is not a computer tech as powering a modern smart phone down with state of the art supported OS encryption is the worst thing you could do
revelette2

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 10:51 am
@BillRM,
I wouldn't know. Besides, it was not a Jurist but Chief justice Roberts.

The only reason I noted the opinion was because it seems there is a distinction in the opinion of the Justices between storing and searching data.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 10:53 am
@cicerone imposter,
You can post it all you want, however, in the end, the only thing which matters in terms of practicality is what the highest court decides about it. One thing they decided in terms of the police anyway is that smart phones data are subject to privacy laws the same as other data or information and must have a warrant to search.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 11:58 am
@revelette2,
Yes, and the highest court is wrong! Our Constitution is very clear on privacy rights.

Why they swear to uphold the Constitution when they take office are based on lies. Two wrongs do not make it right.
RABEL222

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 08:58 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Damn!! Here we go again. Someone is going to come up with they cant be wrong because they have the last word in law BS.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2014 05:52 am
There opinions - e.g. by analysis made by Symantec, F-Secure, and Kasperski-lab - that the new spy-software/trojan "Regin" has been (in an earlier version) by NSA and GCHQ to spy on e.g. the EU- and Belgacom-computers.

Spiegel reported that, according to Snowden documents, the computer networks of the European Union were infiltrated by the NSA in the months before the first discovery of Regin. Fabrice Clément, head of security of Belgacom, said that the company first identified the attack on June 21, 2013.

Regin: Extremely complex spy software has been stealing data for six years

"Regin": le logiciel espion viendrait des services secrets américains et britanniques

Olivier5

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2014 07:07 am
@Walter Hinteler,
We need to put some NSA / GCHQ people in jail. Otherwise this sort of stuff will never stop.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2014 07:16 am
@Olivier5,
Agreed, but it's unlikely. It's not just the intelligence community, it's the high ups everywhere. Over here there is a scandal about The Royal Bank Of Scotland(RBS.) Following the financial meltdown RBS is now pretty much owned by the taxpayer. That didn't stop them picking on profitable businesses, charging them exorbitant fees, forcing them into liquidation and then asset stripping. They even lied to a select committee about this activity.

Will any of these high up white collar criminals go to jail? Will they ****.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2014 07:22 am
@revelette2,
Quote:
KABUL Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:58am EST
(Reuters) - The United States is preparing to increase the number of troops it keeps in Afghanistan in 2015 to fill a gap left in the NATO mission by other contributing nations, according to three sources with direct knowledge of the situation.

The final numbers are still being agreed, but there will be at least several hundred more than initially planned, one of the sources said.

"If they hadn't done that, the mission would have lost bases," the source said.

Under the U.S. commitment, described as a "bridging solution" until other nations fulfill their pledges later in the year or the troops are no longer needed, Washington may provide up to 1,000 extra troops.

That figure was confirmed by all three sources, who said the final number was still under discussion and depended on when other countries stepped forward with their commitments.
revelette2

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2014 08:42 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I believe you already posted similar to that effect a few days ago? What is your point? Sometimes you are too obscure.

here

Quote:
From the article Walter left a link to, after 2016, most of the troops will leave and the ones who stay will be in an advisory role at the US embassy
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2014 09:32 am
@revelette2,
Well, I might be obscure but it's news of today. And I posted it minutes after it has been published. (It's nowon other news-sides as well.)
Olivier5

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2014 09:51 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Agreed, but it's unlikely. It's not just the intelligence community, it's the high ups everywhere.

To me, spying by EU member states on the EU at large and on the Brussel bureaucracy in particular is just not acceptable. It makes a total mockery of the EU. Better to dismantle the whole thing if cheating has become the rule of the game.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2014 10:28 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Ok, but it is hardly news if it is has been reported already. Seems a little redundant.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2014 10:59 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
Ok, but it is hardly news if it is has been reported already. Seems a little redundant.
Reuters thought differently
http://i60.tinypic.com/jr3951.jpg
revelette2

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2014 12:16 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
<shrugs>
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2014 01:16 pm
@revelette2,
Any idea why ALL news outlets report this? (45 different from the US on google news) Or perhaps they are as obscure as I am?