Snowdon is a dummy

Walter Hinteler

Fri 7 Nov, 2014 01:14 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
Well...since I am saying "Let the government govern"...why are you suggesting they would be monitoring me.
You don't live here, so they wouldn't. And that's why I used the conjunctive.

The government wouldn't monitor you but the intelligence agency.
Certainly the government should govern - that's why we elected them (respectively the parties, they come from).
But they have to follow the constitution as well as I have my constitutional rights.
Frank Apisa

Fri 7 Nov, 2014 01:54 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
Well...since I am saying "Let the government govern"...why are you suggesting they would be monitoring me.
You don't live here, so they wouldn't. And that's why I used the conjunctive.

The government wouldn't monitor you but the intelligence agency.
Certainly the government should govern - that's why we elected them (respectively the parties, they come from).
But they have to follow the constitution as well as I have my constitutional rights.

You used to make lots of sense, Walter...and I thoroughly enjoyed your comments. But you have gone off the rails.

I said something...you put a note of disagreement...and now the conversation is all over the place.

I have no idea of why your intelligence agencies would monitor me for what I have written here...because there is nothing even remotely subversive of ANY government...but if you think so...so be it.
0 Replies

revelette2

Fri 7 Nov, 2014 04:53 pm
@cicerone imposter,
NSA in one particular had a specific part of a program which was unconstitutional, they corrected it. Other than that, as of yet, no laws have been found to be broken.
cicerone imposter

Fri 7 Nov, 2014 04:53 pm
@revelette2,
How do you know they 'corrected it?'
revelette2

Fri 7 Nov, 2014 05:18 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Same way we knew about the problem in the first place.

Quote:
While the N.S.A. fixed problems with how it handled those purely domestic messages to the court’s satisfaction, the 2011 ruling revealed further issues.

source

Apparently they are not the most honest group, however, in January of this year, Obama had changes suggested, but now that the senate changed, who knows.

cicerone imposter

Fri 7 Nov, 2014 05:22 pm
@revelette2,
That's the problem; we really don't know. Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Drunk Drunk Drunk
revelette2

Fri 7 Nov, 2014 05:25 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Well, according the NYT article, the court was satisfied they fixed the problem. We know that as well as we know anything else reported in the news.
cicerone imposter

Fri 7 Nov, 2014 05:28 pm
@revelette2,
Thx; good to know.
BillRM

Fri 7 Nov, 2014 06:25 pm
@cicerone imposter,
If I remember correctly the FISC court had stated that they are depended on the intelligent community telling them the truth and have no independent ability to monitor the intelligence community.
cicerone imposter

Fri 7 Nov, 2014 07:12 pm
@BillRM,
Doesn't the congress' oversight committee supposed to make sure they operate legally?

Kind of silly that the three branches of government that's supposed to watch each other has been breaking down, and now lower department heads can get away not being supervised.
BillRM

Fri 7 Nov, 2014 07:36 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Doesn't the congress' oversight committee supposed to make sure they operate legally?

You mean the committee where the CIA hacked into their computer network to spy on them?
0 Replies

revelette2

Fri 7 Nov, 2014 07:50 pm
@BillRM,
It is the way it was set up since the start of it in the seventies. Before that, there wasn't any court at all to monitor them.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sun 9 Nov, 2014 04:16 am
With its strict privacy laws, Germany is the refuge of choice for those hounded by the security services.

Berlin’s digital exiles: where tech activists go to escape the NSA

From that rather long report (with many interviews):
Quote:
[...]
Germany has some of the strongest laws in the world when it comes to surveillance and privacy. It is illegal for the foreign security service, the BND, to spy on its own citizens. But, the NSA has had bases in Germany since 1945 and there are no laws that govern its behaviour. A parliamentary inquiry is now under way, to try and establish what the BND knew – the only one of its kind in the world, post-Snowden – but when I visit Hans-Christian Ströbele, the veteran Green MP who is leading the inquiry, in his office in the Bundestag he tells me: “We think we will find good information about what the BND has been doing.” And the NSA? GCHQ? He shakes his head. “Isn’t that a bit depressing?” I say. “That we’re sitting here in the parliament of one of the greatest democracies on earth, with a constitution that had to be rebuilt from the ground up, and there is nothing, legislatively that you can do?”

“It is,” he says.
[... ... ...]
Poitras tells me how she has come to censor herself. “It’s not whether or not they’re watching, but the fact that you don’t know if they’re watching. You’ve internalised in some way this authority of the state.” At the end of the interview, I tell her how Snowden spoke at the Observer Festival of Ideas and how afterwards I and my colleague John Naughton asked him questions via Google Hangouts from my laptop. “Am I on the grid?” I ask her.

She guffaws. “You are so on the grid.” It’s only semi-serious but still. “As soon as you start to censor yourself,” Domscheit-Berg tells me, “then you leave the path of free speech. So many people now do this in Berlin. They avoid certain expressions. When we have meetings they leave their phones in different rooms. You have already lost your freedom.”

Have I already lost mine? Has it affected my online behaviour? Possibly. My thoughts have always flowed seamlessly from my brain to my fingers to Google’s all-knowing rectangular white box. And now? There’s the briefest pause. A hesitancy. It’s not exactly an iron curtain but it’s not nothing either. I’m being watched. But then, you are too. And, if you think it doesn’t matter, go to Berlin. Go to the Stasi museum. See how it all panned out last time around.

Exactly 25 years ago, the Berlin Wall fell.
revelette2

Sun 9 Nov, 2014 07:34 am
@Walter Hinteler,
When the investigation is complete and they know what the BND knew, will they openly share it so the tech activist will know?

Sometimes it seems to me, Germany pats itself on it's back because they have laws, but it seems those in some places ignore those laws when they choose. Oh, well. (referring to "accidental" spying on Kerry and Clinton while they were spying on Turkey, you know, allies)
Frank Apisa

Sun 9 Nov, 2014 07:42 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:

When the investigation is complete and they know what the BND knew, will they openly share it so the tech activist will know?

Sometimes it seems to me, Germany pats itself on it's back because they have laws, but it seems those in some places ignore those laws when they choose. Oh, well. (referring to "accidental" spying on Kerry and Clinton while they were spying on Turkey, you know, allies)

I'm not really sure most Germans pat themselves (and their country) on the back quite as much and often as Walter does...

...but one of the reasons I respect Walter as much as I do (and I do)...is because he is willing to be respectful of his country as often as he is willing to call its faults to the world's attention. Some Americans in A2K seem obsessed with pissing on our country at every opportunity...and offer a throw away line of support in some area only when their pissing is called to their attention.
BillRM

Sun 9 Nov, 2014 07:43 am
@revelette2,
I myself would suggest using nations with both strong privacy laws and who are not major world players such as Germany with a large intelligence community looking for things to do in order to justify their existence.

The US have one hell of a strong build in constitutional right to privacy and yet in the name of national security the government is wiping their ass with the constitution.

Oh and encrypted anything of any private nature of any kind before storaging it in the cloud or on your own drives for that matter.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Sun 9 Nov, 2014 07:45 am
@revelette2,
Quote:
referring to "accidental" spying on Kerry and Clinton while they were spying on Turkey, you know, allies)

Spying on untrustworthy allies is a must nowadays. You never know what mischief the Americans will come up with next.
Walter Hinteler

Sun 9 Nov, 2014 07:52 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
Actually, there is no law which was ignored. That it really shouldn't have happened is something different - accidentally, as said, or not.
But now it can be done, ordered by the Chancellery. (If it's true what has been reported.)
Walter Hinteler

Sun 9 Nov, 2014 07:58 am
@Frank Apisa,
This has nothing at all to do with patting on the back, being respectful to a country or similar: it's just that I think, our constitution and laws should be respected and followed.

I know (personally) that intelligence agencies don't (and can't) do this always, but I really don't want to live in a country like during the Nazi or Stasi periods.
BillRM

Sun 9 Nov, 2014 08:05 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
(If it's true what has been reported.)

Enough said and as far as the US is concern we have a long history of the Federal government breaking Federal laws going back far far before the first tubes base computer had come on line in this area.

Somehow I do not see Germany not doing the same laws or no laws.
0 Replies