Snowdon is a dummy

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2014 09:56 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
what is the status of the Snowden/investigation in Germany coming? Any new developments?
No.Nothing new ... as for as is reported.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2014 09:25 pm
Quote:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/6/6926205/surveillance-drives-south-koreans-to-encrypted-messaging-apps

Surveillance drives South Koreans to encrypted messaging apps
Millions of users have fled the country's largest chat program after new crackdown on speech
By Russell Brandom on October 6, 2014 05:27 pm

Two weeks ago, Kakao Talk users in South Korea users got an unpleasant surprise. After months of enduring public criticism, President Park Geun-Hye announced a crackdown on any messages deemed as insulting to her or generally rumor-mongering — including private messages sent through Kakao Talk, a Korean messaging app akin to WhatsApp or iMessage. Prosecutors began actively monitoring the service for violations, promising punishment for anyone spreading inappropriate content.

1.5 MILLION SOUTH KOREANS HAVE SIGNED UP FOR TELEGRAM IN THE PAST SEVEN DAYS

In response to the crackdown, South Koreans have voted with their feet, heading en masse to encrypted chat programs hosted outside the country, particularly an app called Telegram known for its encryption features. Based in Germany, Telegram reports roughly 1.5 million new South Korean users have signed up in the past seven days, giving the app more than 50 million users worldwide. Telegram's Markus Ra says it's not the only country where government controls have made Telegram an attractive option. "People frequently come to Telegram looking for extra security — some of them from countries with censorship issues," Ra says. "What really makes us happy is that the users stay when the privacy scandals have died away."

Telegram offers an option for "secret chats" that use end-to-end encryption, which means that the company facilitates key exchange but doesn't hold the keys itself and can't decrypt any of the messages. Created by Russian-born entrepreneur Pavel Durov, the app’s offshore location makes legal compulsion much more difficult for South Korean prosecutors. Telegram’s South Korean user base is still just a fraction of Kakao's 35 million users — the vast majority of cell-phone owners in South Korea — but the rapid growth shows how much privacy features can pay off in the face of high-profile censorship.

Kakao Talk has struggled to provide the same privacy promises. Since the crackdown was announced, the company has faced rumors that prosecutors are reading chats in real-time, even though the company insists such a setup would be technically impossible. On Thursday, the company announced it would curtail its storage practices, only keeping messages for three days after they're sent, rather than a full week. Still, since Kakao is based in Korea, it can only push back so far. The company is obligated to comply with court orders under South Korean law, turning over messaging data as prosecutors demand it.

But while companies compete for user privacy, government pushback isn't unique to South Korea. When Apple took a step towards Telegram-esque end-to-end encryption last month, the FBI pushed back immediately, claiming the features would aid criminals and hinder legitimate warrants. Apple’s supporters responded simply that, after Snowden, the company was giving its users what it wanted. After Telegram’s sudden rise, it’s a more convincing argument than ever.

Sojung Lim contributed re
porting
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2014 09:37 pm
@BillRM,
Goes to prove most people want their privacy.
BillRM

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2014 10:14 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Goes to prove most people want their privacy.

An people will find ways and means to achieved that privacy.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 11:21 pm
@revelette2,
A new summary at DW: NSA affair: German committee calls intelligence witnesses
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2014 12:14 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Interesting article in this morning newspaper about the damage the NSA is doing to internet commerce. The captains of industry from the big internet companies like Google, Facebook, Microsoft, and other firms have accused the government spying programs are undercutting the internet economy.

"It hurts the US economy" according to Wyden, a member of the Intelligence Committee and Chairman of the Finance Committee, "and it doesn't make our country any safer."
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2014 12:21 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Interesting article in this morning newspaper about the damage the NSA is doing to internet commerce. The captains of industry from the big internet companies like Google, Facebook, Microsoft, and other firms have accused the government spying programs are undercutting the internet economy.

It hurts the US economy according to Wyden, a member of the Intelligence Committee and Chairman of the Finance Committee, and it doesn't make our country any safer.
considering that the internet industry is one of the few things that we can still do well....Ya, that would be a problem.

0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2014 07:48 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Thanks, it's interesting. When the BND promised the US "absolute solidarity" after 9/11, did any of the parties or in parliament ask questions then as to what they meant by those words?

My point is that it seems that what people once went along with willingly, without questions, now seem to be surprised at how far these sorts of things have gone. Most of the "Snowden revelations" have only confirmed what people have suspected, or have had a only a vague idea about before the revelations. I can honestly say, I haven't been too surprised at any of these revelations.

If having now taken a more intelligent look at all these things after the "Snowden revelations", people want to change these things, I am fine with it. My objection has been people acting so surprised and shocked, I simply don't find it credible. I have also objected to people putting nefarious motives to those in intelligence in their methods and efforts to keep us safe.
BillRM

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2014 08:36 am
@revelette2,
Quote:
I have also objected to people putting nefarious motives to those in intelligence in their methods and efforts to keep us safe.

Of course not just as Hoover had no nefarious motives for taping MLK private moments or keeping track of who JFK was sleeping with or .............

When the intelligence community is setting up large scale programs that had shown little to no benefits in keeping us "safe" from terrorists but is a wonderful tool enabling blackmailing of our leadership by anyone who have access to those databases why should we be concern?

Their hearts was pure when they was lying to congress time after time and of course they needed to hack into senatorial computer networks in case there was some terrorist plot being hatch by senators and their staffs.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2014 08:37 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
When the BND promised the US "absolute solidarity" after 9/11, did any of the parties or in parliament ask questions then as to what they meant by those words?
As far as I could find out, exactly that is one of the key points: the agency "booked" that as an internal affair. So no parties/lawmakers were informed but the Federal Minister of Special Affairs in the Chancellery. And that person had been the now Federal Minister for Foreign Affairs (though as secretary of state, a civil servant rank) Frank-Walter Steinmeier (a Social-Democrat).
revelette2

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2014 09:54 am
@BillRM,
You are full of hyperbolic statements, stretching three separate instances into long standing practices. It is your right, as it is my right not to think it is.
revelette2

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2014 09:57 am
@Walter Hinteler,
So when they told the US, they were in absolute solidarity it was in a cable or some sort of way not an announcement where the public could hear those words? When did they find out about those words?
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2014 10:18 am
@revelette2,
Quote:
You are full of hyperbolic statements, stretching three separate instances into long standing practices.

LOL you might wish to read a little history as the intelligence community have been breaking US laws long before even the second world war by having AT@T sending them copies of all repeat all foreign cable traffic to them.

Long standing practices going back at least 8 decades of breaking US laws and the fourth amendment.
revelette2

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2014 10:57 am
@BillRM,
Since you are known for stretching the truth, why not for once provide a source to give context for some of your statements? I have no interest in doing a lot of homework for all your many statements, since you bring the statements, it is your place to provide the source, otherwise it is unproven statements.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2014 11:03 am
@revelette2,
That works two ways; if you question what anyone says, you can challenge it with your credible source to refute it. Otherwise, you're unable to provide proof it's a lie, and must accept it as factual.

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2014 11:09 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

That works two ways; if you question what anyone says, you can challenge it with your credible source to refute it. Otherwise, you're unable to provide proof it's a lie, and must accept it as factual.

Respectfully, ci...I don't agree. At least not in all circumstances.

Suppose, for instance, that someone wrote, "You were once arrested for child molestation."

Are you saying that in the absence of being able to "prove" that you had never been arrested for any crimes, let alone child molestation...the charge would have to stand?

We all know the difficulty in proving a negative (it is not impossible, but difficult)...so any accusation cloaked that way would have to stand if you are correct.

BillRM

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2014 11:26 am
@revelette2,
Quote:
Since you are known for stretching the truth, why not for once provide a source to give context for some of your statements?

Oh you do not listen to the news or read the newspapers as doing so would cover most of my statements about the misdeeds of the intelligence community of late. They are also a matter of Congressional hearings and have been shown of c-span live in many cases.

Hoover misdeeds are also a matter of public record and the details can be found with a simple google search. They are not in question. But here is a link for you. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Edgar_Hoover. Take note of President Truman comments concerning the man.

Now the AT@T and the intelligent community misdeeds dating back to the 1930s and still are going on in a must more high tech manner are also a matter of histories facts.

BillRM

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2014 11:49 am
@cicerone imposter,
CI I can not see what she can challenge my statements on as for the most part they are back by current news and congressional hearings.

Both the between wars misdeeds concerning AT@T and the US Navy breaking the then clear federal laws and reading all cable travel is a matter of historical fact and so is Hoover many misdeeds for that matter.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2014 11:56 am
@Frank Apisa,
You wrote,
Quote:
Suppose, for instance, that someone wrote, "You were once arrested for child molestation."

That incident would probably be published in the local newspaper, and offenders are required to register their offense.

Megan's Law in California.
Quote:
ATTENTION: Beginning January 1, 2013, the Department of Justice is required by law to post static risk assessment scores for sex offender registrants who are eligible to be scored (Penal Code § 290.03-290.09). For information relating to risk assessments, eligibility, and scoring, please visit the State Authorized Risk Assessment Tool for Sex Offenders (SARATSO) Web site at www.saratso.org
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2014 12:26 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Considering I haven't said anyone lied, I am not in the position having to prove it.