Snowdon is a dummy

revelette2

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2014 08:19 am
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
Well hey, if the regime deems that these surveillance efforts were constitutional, then they're constitutional

Actually that is not what the appeals court said if you read it right.

Quote:
The appeals court, however, ruled that the government had put in place adequate safeguards to avoid constitutional violations.

“We caution that our decision does not constitute an endorsement of broad-based, indiscriminate executive power,” the court wrote on Aug. 22, 2008. “Rather, our decision recognizes that where the government has instituted several layers of serviceable safeguards to protect individuals against unwarranted harms and to minimize incidental intrusions, its efforts to protect national security should not be frustrated by the courts. This is such a case.”

revelette2

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2014 08:24 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Well he was when he wrote some of the documents from the Snowden leaks, wasn't he? After all just the other day you went to great pains to tell me so.

I didn't say he stole them, I said they were stolen.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2014 08:27 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
Two questions:

One...if you didn't "know about it"...what would be the result?

Two...now that you do "know about it"...so what?

Ad 1.
I had still though that my privacy was respected, privacy of correspondence, posts and telecommunications and all that.

Ad 2
a. Now I know that there is no privacy of correspondence, posts and telecommunications in the USA.

b. I have learnt how secret rulings of a secret court are enforced in practise.
BillRM

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2014 08:27 am
@BillRM,
Oh, when those raids happen I remember suggesting to Arnaldo Lerma one of the victims of those raids that in the future he should have his copies of any Scientology materials and his computers encrypted with the Scam disk program.

The state of the art disk encrypted program at that time.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2014 08:36 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:
Can't help but wonder why you wrote: "On this day of remembrance, it would be nice to crack a few..."

One of these many things you don't get.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2014 08:39 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

U.S. threatened massive fine to force Yahoo to release data

Quote:
The U.S. government threatened to fine Yahoo $250,000 a day in 2008 if it failed to comply with a broad demand to hand over user communications — a request the company believed was unconstitutional — according to court documents unsealed Thursday that illuminate how federal officials forced American tech companies to participate in the National Security Agency’s controversial PRISM program.

The documents, roughly 1,500 pages worth, outline a secret and ultimately unsuccessful legal battle by Yahoo to resist the government’s demands. The company’s loss required Yahoo to become one of the first to begin providing information to PRISM, a program that gave the NSA extensive access to records of online com­munications by users of Yahoo and other U.S.-based technology firms.

Central to the case was whether the Protect America Act overstepped constitutional bounds, particularly the Fourth Amendment prohibition on unreasonable searches and seizures without a warrant. An early Yahoo filing said the case was “of tremendous national importance. The issues at stake in this litigation are the most serious issues that this Nation faces today — to what extent must the privacy rights guaranteed by the United States Constitution yield to protect our national security.”

The appeals court, however, ruled that the government had put in place adequate safeguards to avoid constitutional violations.

“We caution that our decision does not constitute an endorsement of broad-based, indiscriminate executive power,” the court wrote on Aug. 22, 2008. “Rather, our decision recognizes that where the government has instituted several layers of serviceable safeguards to protect individuals against unwarranted harms and to minimize incidental intrusions, its efforts to protect national security should not be frustrated by the courts. This is such a case.”

Well hey, if the regime deems that these surveillance efforts were constitutional, then they're constitutional.

Actually...unless the SCOTUS ultimately rules that they are unconstitutional...then they are not unconstitutional.

That is the way it works here.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2014 08:46 am
@Walter Hinteler,

Walter Hinteler wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
Two questions:

One...if you didn't "know about it"...what would be the result?

Two...now that you do "know about it"...so what?

Ad 1.
I had still though that my privacy was respected, privacy of correspondence, posts and telecommunications and all that.

So...the answer is...no difference in result. If you knew about it...or if you did not know about it...the privacy of your correspondence, posts, and telecommunications would be exactly the same.

So the fact that you know it…means absolutely nothing with regard to your privacy.

Quote:

Ad 2
a. Now I know that there is no privacy of correspondence, posts and telecommunications in the USA.

b. I have learnt how secret rulings of a secret court are enforced in practise.

Once again…now you know…and it makes no difference at all.

So why are you using these two things as an example of how Snowden helped you?

It makes no sense.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2014 09:00 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
So the fact that you know it…means absolutely nothing with regard to your privacy.
It certainly does: any of my emails can be looked at by American authorities without that informing me.

Frank Apisa wrote:
Once again…now you know…and it makes no difference at all.

We don't have secret court/secret rulings here. The difference to before is that I now know how it works.
Frank Apisa wrote:
It makes no sense.
As said, I didn't have all that knowledge you have.
Since I got it now .... learning makes sense for me.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2014 09:40 am
@Frank Apisa,
I'm flattered, then...
Olivier5

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2014 09:59 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Actually...unless the SCOTUS ultimately rules that they are unconstitutional...then they are not unconstitutional.

Nope. Until the SCOTUS rules, their constitutionality is UNCLEAR or UNKNOWN or UNDECIDED.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2014 09:59 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

I'm flattered, then...

You are childish...not flattered. And more than just a bit desperate.

Fun to watch. Wink
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2014 10:00 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:

Nope. Until the SCOTUS rules, their constitutionality is UNCLEAR or UNKNOWN or UNDECIDED.

Incorrect.

But nice try.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2014 10:16 am
@Frank Apisa,
You're a sore loser.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2014 10:20 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:

Incorrect.
But to decide if Snowden committed a crime, you don't need a court ruling, correct?
Olivier5

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2014 11:01 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Quote:

Incorrect.

Well, anyone with more than one brain cell knows they ARE in fact unconstitutional, but until the SCOTUS rules them so or otherwise, their constitutionality remains officially undecided.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2014 11:03 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

You're a sore loser.

I'm not a loser.

You shoulda jumped, Olivier. Now you are dizzy.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT5iKwd7UO3bx0klsBwtwc9mBLoFlVUKakWCWXeOXay37ixs1U
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2014 11:06 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:

Incorrect.
But to decide if Snowden committed a crime, you don't need a court ruling, correct?

You need a trial to determine if Snowden is guilty of the crimes for which he is charged.

As for the other thing...Walter...in this country oatmeal is legal and constitutional...until the courts decide otherwise.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2014 11:09 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

Incorrect.

Well, anyone with more than one brain cell knows they ARE in fact unconstitutional, but until the SCOTUS rules them so or otherwise, their constitutionality remains officially undecided.

That is incorrect on two counts, Olivier.

But I love your determination.
Wink
Olivier5

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2014 11:14 am
@Frank Apisa,
You are a loser and a sore loser.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2014 11:14 am
@Frank Apisa,
I wrote:

Answering Frank Apisa wrote:
You need a trial to determine if Snowden is guilty of the crimes for which he is charged.

As for the other thing...Walter...in this country oatmeal is legal and constitutional...until the courts decide otherwise.
I know that A2K was having some troubles when I posted the above.
But I neither posted any "the other thing" in my above post nor did I consider to do it.