Snowdon is a dummy

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2014 12:17 pm
@ossobuco,
Now Frank really seems to have become dull. Additionally ...
BillRM

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2014 01:06 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
The term "concentration camp" predates the nazis. You are doing them too big a favor by reserving this term to them.

The Nazis swastika symbol was not the first used of that figure and predate the Nazis party used by thousands of years but still I do not see a good argument that this symbol should be use after the Nazis use for other purposes.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2014 01:22 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank, I've done pretty well in not addressing you for some months, but this comment to c.i. can't be ignored.

That you say c.i. hates America simply shows how far you seem to have travelled from the man I once believed you to be.

It truly saddens me to see the change in you.

I wish you well.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2014 01:23 pm
@BillRM,
The English term "concentration camp" grew in prominence during the Second Boer War ["British Concentration Camps of the South African War 1900-1902" ]but was used already before: e.g. (re-)concentration camps set up by the Spanish military in Cuba during the Ten Years' War (1868–1878), those by the United States during the Philippine–American War (1899–1902)
spendius

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2014 01:27 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Now Frank really seems to have become dull.

He has always been dull Walt because one has no need to think at all in his company as he has done all the thinking necessary beforehand and anybody else doing any is superfluous.

It looks to me that he first clarified the forward path under the critical scrutiny of a mechanical nodding dog which could be made to assent by thumping the table.
BillRM

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2014 01:46 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I am fully aware of the history of the used of the term concentration camp h0wever the used of that term for what amount to death machines that killed tens of millions of humans have change it meaning for hopefully the rest of time.

In any case, using the term for far far far lesser things like the interment US camps is to me an attempted to associated those internment camps with the evilness of the Nazis camps.

Would you knowing the harmless uses for over thousands of years of the Swastika symbol defend it use for a modern sport team?
Olivier5

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2014 02:59 pm
@BillRM,
The people who used the swastika as a religious symbol are still doing so... The problem is, if we use too many euphemisms to avoid any association with the Nazis, we may end up in a Nazi society in all but the name(s)...
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2014 03:10 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
Would you knowing the harmless uses for over thousands of years of the Swastika symbol defend it use for a modern sport team?

I don't think it would be allowed Bill such is the horror it is associated with.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2014 03:13 pm
This is about some of the rest of us and Frank, at least right now.

I'll be obnoxious and add that JoeNation absorbed his last arrow to himself from Frank, Joe being milding..

ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2014 03:27 pm
@spendius,
I see your point, the zillion posts nodding, but I think Frank surely agrees with himself, which is his right.

My main gripe has always been repetitiveness and bolding. Oh, and repetitiveness.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2014 04:11 pm
@spendius,
Good post, spendi; concise and to the point. Mr. Green
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2014 04:31 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Oh, stop it Frank. CI does not hate the U.S.

Almost everything he posts seems to indicate that he does...but wants people to think he doesn't...so he hedges.

But most of his comments are hostile to the US.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2014 04:32 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Now Frank really seems to have become dull. Additionally ...

Usually people find me anything but dull.

Sorry you feel that way.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2014 04:33 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Frank, I've done pretty well in not addressing you for some months, but this comment to c.i. can't be ignored.

That you say c.i. hates America simply shows how far you seem to have travelled from the man I once believed you to be.

It truly saddens me to see the change in you.

I wish you well.

Whatever.

I think my reasoning is on the button. You think differently.

It truly saddens me that you cannot see his remarks for what they are.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2014 04:36 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

This is about some of the rest of us and Frank, at least right now.

I'll be obnoxious and add that JoeNation absorbed his last arrow to himself from Frank, Joe being milding..

It ought to be about whether or not Snowden is a dummy. I've tried to keep my remarks to that issue...but I constantly am quizzed on tangential matters...and I respond. Very, very infrequently I initiate some diversion...but only very, very infrequently.

I do not think Snowden is a dummy. I know he has been charged with some serious crimes. I want to see him get a fair trial.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2014 04:44 pm
@ossobuco,
In a similar fashion, I also advocate for the less fortunate whether they're Americans or any culture, women, or sexual orientation, in any country that fails to be treated equally.

I guess I learned my lesson early in my youth when so many told me to "go back to your own country." Unfortunately, for so many in this country, they are still suffering discrimination.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2014 04:55 pm
@Frank Apisa,
So the **** what? We get to disagree with whatever our courts shift to.

Don't get me started.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2014 05:04 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

So the **** what?

Nicely put. So classy.

Quote:

We get to disagree with whatever our courts shift to.

When you told me to stop it, were you telling me that I can't?

Why is that?

ci has been throwing insults my way (cowardly, of course, by addressing them to other people) and I am now responding. Having a hell of a lot of fun doing so. Wink

What problem do you have with that...and why should I care that it bothers you?
spendius

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2014 05:14 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
..and why should I care that it bothers you?

A gentleman cares about anything which bothers a lady.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2014 05:19 pm
You are welcome, of course, to post repetitively forever.

I'm so sorry I went so far as to swear. Oh, wait, let me look back, I might enjoy that.

Many of us understand disagreement. Calling people really bad names because you disagree with them is a/tacky), b/annoying, c/infantile, d/avoidant re issues, avoidant in general.