Snowdon is a dummy

izzythepush

Tue 28 Jan, 2014 10:51 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

I am not the Archie Bunker type...and I do not sound like I am.

Archie Bunker was an imitation. Alf Garnett was the original.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 28 Jan, 2014 11:18 am
@Frank Apisa,
Apisa must have me on ignore if not on Ignore.
spendius

Tue 28 Jan, 2014 11:32 am
@spendius,
I have explained that "protection" is a relative term.

The funds being expended on this absurdity would protect a large number of people, who Apisa conveniently forgets, as he tries to gather us all under his motherly wings, and have yet to prove that they have protected anybody.

The idea that the NSA exists to protect us all is extremely naive.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 28 Jan, 2014 12:00 pm
@spendius,
What's so interesting about the government's seemingly goal to save American lives can't show the effectiveness of spending billions on a system that can't be justified on the cost alone. Yet, our government can't seem to agree on universal health care (ObamaCare) as an intrusion into the freedoms of our citizens.

Contradictions galore! TNCFS
0 Replies

Olivier5

Tue 28 Jan, 2014 12:27 pm
@JPB,
Quote:
all of this has prevented nothing.

That's not fair. I heard some kids were arrested for throwing virtual angry birds at a virtual structure vaguely resembling the senate on their Iphone...
0 Replies

glitterbag

Tue 28 Jan, 2014 01:36 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Well, perhaps secret agencies (sic!) really should take over the all work usually done police forces: to prevent crime.

Knowing what everyone everywhere pretends to be doing sometime - that certainly will reduce the crime rate.
And I'm sure that there are some uninhabited islands where those people could be imprisoned, alternatively in some friendly states as done before by the CIA.

Walter, I'm sure you might like to rethink this statement. There have been countries who tried this during the 19th and 20th centuries, it didn't work out well.
cicerone imposter

Tue 28 Jan, 2014 02:00 pm
@glitterbag,
But there is proof it has worked out very well: Australia is a good example.

Mr. Green 2 Cents
hawkeye10

Tue 28 Jan, 2014 02:01 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

No they can't. That is the tesponsibility of the FBI, they have the law enforcement responsibility. NSA is responsible for foreign attacks.

this is not a problem, we sign the whole operation to include the employees over the the FBI, and then let NSA keep an office there to continue what ever useful spook intel is to be had. This will be like when the Pentagon decided that they did not want the space shuttle anymore, and on a dime handed everything and everyone over to NASA. I salivate thinking about all of the WallStreeters who would be in jail right now if these computers and listening devices had been pointed in their direction.
spendius

Tue 28 Jan, 2014 02:17 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
I salivate thinking about all of the WallStreeters who would be in jail right now if these computers and listening devices had been pointed in their direction.

It would be astonishing if some of them hadn't been.
spendius

Tue 28 Jan, 2014 04:30 pm
@spendius,
It is impossible to judge the patriotism of either side here.

It depends whether or not loyalty should be given to this administration or to America.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Tue 28 Jan, 2014 06:31 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

But there is proof it has worked out very well: Australia is a good example.

Mr. Green 2 Cents

If that's supposed to be funny, I'm not laughing. Take a look at how well things are going in North Korea. We know so little about what goes on there, but we do know that Kim Jong Un executed his uncle, and recently we learn that he has snuffed out his uncle's entire family, to include children.
cicerone imposter

Tue 28 Jan, 2014 08:06 pm
@glitterbag,
You missed the whole point;
Quote:
Knowing what everyone everywhere pretends to be doing sometime - that certainly will reduce the crime rate.
And I'm sure that there are some uninhabited islands where those people could be imprisoned, alternatively in some friendly states as done before by the CIA.

North Koreans were not transferred from another place, and it's not an "island."
0 Replies

revelette2

Wed 29 Jan, 2014 10:05 am
@Frank Apisa,
I don't Frank, of what use could the NSA have by putting spyware on people's mobile phone apps and the like? Can you just imagine how much man power it would take shifting through as much information as they apparently have to shift through? I don't see how they could really shift through it in time prevent too much unless they just happened to get lucky. I think it needs to redone and made more efficient in some way, way over my understanding. Wink
Frank Apisa

Wed 29 Jan, 2014 10:12 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:

I don't Frank, of what use could the NSA have by putting spyware on people's mobile phone apps and the like? Can you just imagine how much man power it would take shifting through as much information as they apparently have to shift through? I don't see how they could really shift through it in time prevent too much unless they just happened to get lucky. I think it needs to redone and made more efficient in some way, way over my understanding. Wink

The alternative, as I have mentioned, is to restrict their intelligence gathering only to people who intend harm to us...or to other countries around the world.

Is that what you suggest they do???
BillRM

Wed 29 Jan, 2014 10:20 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I am pointing out that the people who are being most vocal about condemning what the NSA is doing...are, IN MY OPINION, the ones most likely to complain that the government is not doing enough to protect us...if an another attack came.

Tying up untold billions of dollars a year of resources for programs that had so far shown not to be useful is not a way to prevent future attacks!!!!!!!

In so must as the resources could be employed far better, those programs are making us less safe then more safe even disregarding the danger of having an arm of the government having blackmail materials on tap to be used against any one who go against their best interests such as congress members challenging them.
Frank Apisa

Wed 29 Jan, 2014 10:40 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:
I am pointing out that the people who are being most vocal about condemning what the NSA is doing...are, IN MY OPINION, the ones most likely to complain that the government is not doing enough to protect us...if an another attack came.

Tying up untold billions of dollars a year of resources for programs that had so far shown not to be useful is not a way to prevent future attacks!!!!!!!

One of the other things I am pointing out is that NOBODY HERE has any idea if the program HAS OR HAS NOT been useful in preventing any attacks...or whether the program WILL OR WILL not help to prevent future attacks.

Apparently you don't get that, Bill.

Quote:
In so must as the resources could be employed far better, those programs are making us less safe then more safe even disregarding the danger of having an arm of the government having blackmail materials on tap to be used against any one who go against their best interests such as congress members challenging them.

Well, I have a choice between letting you, with all your brilliance, deciding how best to distribute intelligence funds...or the people who are doing it now.

So...

...I see precious little reason to assume you will do the job better.

I choose them.
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 29 Jan, 2014 10:46 am
@BillRM,
Apisa's attacks are theoretical. So are the lives he pretends to be so concerned about.

If the billions of dollars went into health equality the lives saved would be actual. Particularly if they went into Africa.

Hence Apisa is a racist. And a defender of the well-to-do. He is giving priority to the theoretical saving of some lives. Lives he is choosing simply to make his point.

And the scrutiny applied to his position applies to all those defending the massive use of scarce resources on the project.

Walter Hinteler

Wed 29 Jan, 2014 01:37 pm
I know: she could be a terrorist and thus was on NSA-surveillance, too, but ...
Quote:
Angela Merkel has used the first, agenda-setting speech of her third term in office to criticise America's uncompromising defence of its surveillance activities.

In a speech otherwise typically short of strong emotion or rhetorical flourishes, the German chancellor found relatively strong words on NSA surveillance, two days before the US secretary of state, John Kerry, is due to visit Berlin.

"A programme in which the end justifies all means, in which everything that is technically possible is then acted out, violates trust and spreads mistrust," she said. "In the end, it produces not more but less security."

Merkel emphasised the need for wider access to the internet for citizens: "We want to make sure the internet retains its promise. That's why we want to protect it".
Source
cicerone imposter

Wed 29 Jan, 2014 02:32 pm
@spendius,
It's really not only about saving "lives," but how many? Zero? Five? Ten? Is spending a billion(s) to save from zero (so far) to how many lives worth it?

Someone's reality about life is bent out of shape. It's not only a waste of our resources, creates economic handicaps for our businesses, and it creates more mistrust amongst our allies.

What are we winning?

BillRM

Wed 29 Jan, 2014 02:40 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
and it creates more mistrust amongst our allies.

The distrust in not only with out allies but among the US population as a whole as it is hard to trust a government that so distrust their own citizens that they claimed the need to do massive spying on all of us.