Snowdon is a dummy

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2014 01:34 am
While Obama said in interview with German tv-broadcaster ZDF yesterday that the NSA spying won’t damage ties with allies (an apparent step to repair the damage to America’s relations with Germany and other "allies"), Germany's Federal Prosecutor General is considering to take actions about the spying on Merkel's mobile phone.

And Spiegel writes, they have seen NSA documents (via Snoden) that the USA had done this spying from 1946 until 1967 intensively - but one document said that should be top secret for 75 years .... because it would severely damage relations.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2014 03:42 am
@Walter Hinteler,
House Intelligence chairman says Russia may have helped Snowden leak
Quote:
In a prerecorded interview due to air on NBC's "Meet The Press" Sunday, Rep. Mike Rogers, R-Mich., describes the former NSA contractor as "a thief whom we believe had some help.

"Let me just say this. I believe there’s a reason he ended up in the hands, the loving arms, of an FSB agent in Moscow," Rogers said, according to an early transcript provided by the program. "I don’t think that’s a coincidence."

Rogers also described other aspects of the case that raise questions for him, including "How [Snowden] arranged travel before he left. How he was ready to go, he had a go bag, if you will." Rogers also claims in the interview that some of the methods Snowden supposedly used to attain the information were "beyond his technical capabilities."

I think, if this really is true, Rep. Mike Rogers must have better informations than people who have got and publish those documents.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2014 03:53 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
I think, if this really is true, Rep. Mike Rogers must have better informations than people who have got and publish those documents.

only a non american could possibly have this much faith in a member of Congress....

Read Robert Gate's book for illustration.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2014 05:59 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Mike Rogers? The only person in Congress I believe less than Diane Feinstein.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2014 07:57 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

House Intelligence chairman says Russia may have helped Snowden leak
Quote:
In a prerecorded interview due to air on NBC's "Meet The Press" Sunday, Rep. Mike Rogers, R-Mich., describes the former NSA contractor as "a thief whom we believe had some help.

"Let me just say this. I believe there’s a reason he ended up in the hands, the loving arms, of an FSB agent in Moscow," Rogers said, according to an early transcript provided by the program. "I don’t think that’s a coincidence."

Rogers also described other aspects of the case that raise questions for him, including "How [Snowden] arranged travel before he left. How he was ready to go, he had a go bag, if you will." Rogers also claims in the interview that some of the methods Snowden supposedly used to attain the information were "beyond his technical capabilities."

Thanks for this information, Walter.

My opinion is that any member of congress who is not willing to at least consider the possibility that Snowden may not have acted alone...is probably not doing his/her job very effectively.

No reason to jump to conclusions that Russia helped him...or that he did NOT act alone...

...but also no reason to jump to the conclusion that he did act alone.

Anyone who thinks that there is something wrong with a member of congress having questions in this regard is not thinking very carefully.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2014 08:16 am
@Frank Apisa,
Well ... I would consider the idea that the Guardian, Spiegel, NYT etc helped him, since they got the most advantage in publishing the links.

Or (someone else from) Germany, since the leaked documents seem to make the most trouble here.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2014 09:29 am
@Walter Hinteler,
And now, people here remember that all of the documents James Hall had copied and handed over to the Stasi until 1988 (13,088 pages in total) were given back to the NSA in 1992 ... and no-one can't really explain now, why and how this could happen without consulting or informing the German Parliamentary Intelligence Oversight Committee ...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2014 01:19 pm
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2014 02:38 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Quote:
Ms. Feinstein, when asked by David Gregory, the host of “Meet the Press,” whether she agreed with Mr. Rogers that Mr. Snowden may have had help from the Russians, was more tentative: “He may well have. We don’t know at this stage.!
Source
spendius

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2014 02:46 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
But hey Walt--even if she doesn't know she was on the telly being asked which is a status symbol in that pond. You don't think they are talking to us dimwits do you?
spendius

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2014 03:00 pm
@spendius,
Ms Feinstein will be experiencing what Micheal Frayn described in Towards the End of the Morning. For a few days and then it fades out of its own accord.

"Oh Diane, you were wonderful on Meet The Press."

"Was I? You really think so? Did you see the broadcast?" (joke)

" Well, no actually, I didn't. I was going over some papers at the time. But Geoffrey said you were wonderful. He gushed. Very enthusiastic."

etc etc until it dawns on her that nobody has seen it who matters. The votes are already locked up.

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2014 03:41 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

JPB wrote:

Quote:
Ms. Feinstein, when asked by David Gregory, the host of “Meet the Press,” whether she agreed with Mr. Rogers that Mr. Snowden may have had help from the Russians, was more tentative: “He may well have. We don’t know at this stage.!
Source

Additional inforamtion from a Guardian report
Quote:
Rogers' comments were backed by Michael McCaul, chairman of the House committee on homeland security. Speaking from Moscow, the Texas Republican told ABC’s This Week: “I believe he [Snowden] was cultivated by a foreign power to do what he did.”

McCaul said he could not “definitively” say it was Russia that helped Snowden. “Hey, listen, I don't think … Mr Snowden woke up one day and had the wherewithal to do this all by himself. I think he was helped by others. Again, I can't give a definitive statement on that … but I've been given all the evidence, I know Mike Rogers has access to, you know, that I've seen that I don't think he was acting alone.”
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2014 04:36 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
The GOP mbrs of congress are good at assumptions that usually turn out to be wrong.
spendius

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2014 06:02 pm
@cicerone imposter,
A leftie delivers a message from the on;y source of wisdom.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2014 07:09 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Empty spin from the masters of spin. They're worried about having some of their wings clipped so they're playing the boogieman card. Interesting that this comes out on the heels of Obama's speech that indicates some of the NSA's wings may get clipped. Gotta keep that fear factor high!

It comes down to a matter of trust. Who do you trust more, a whistleblower or a spin doctor? "I've seen evidence that I can't show you. Just trust me", has absolutely no positive element for me. Once trust is gone it's very difficult to get back and I no longer trust any rhetoric that comes out of the mouth of a Congressperson. Share whatever evidence there is or STFU.

Actually, I suspect this is bait to try to entice Mr Snowden to come out and tell them exactly how he did it. Because they're still scratching their heads trying to figure it out.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2014 01:15 pm
Quote:
n an interview with The New Yorker, Barack Obama has hit back at European reaction to the Snowden revelations. He tells the magazine that “there are European governments that we know spy on us” and compares many of the European figures complaining about the allegations to the Vichy police officer in the film Casablanca. It’ll be fascinating to see wow those in the European Parliament who want to use this scandal to derail the talks on an EU-US free trade deal react to Obama essentially calling them out on this.

Obama does, however, concede that the allegation that the US spied on Angela Merkel’s mobile phone is serious. He concedes that if it happened it was “a breach of trust and I can’t argue with her being aggravated about that.”
Source

Interview in The New Yorker: GOING THE DISTANCE - On and off the road with Barack Obama.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2014 01:33 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
If Obama has the audacity to listen to the leaders of some of our closest allies, what makes Frank believe NSA isn't listening in on American citizens?
His guesses have been proven wrong so often, one wonders where his brain resides.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2014 01:39 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

If Obama has the audacity to listen to the leaders of some of our closest allies, what makes Frank believe NSA isn't listening in on American citizens?
His guesses have been proven wrong so often, one wonders where his brain resides.

We certainly do not have to wonder where your's reside, ci! Wink
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2014 04:05 pm
http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/a_zpse76bec04.jpg
Source: PEW Research Center/USA Today poll Obama’s NSA Speech Has Little Impact on Skeptical Public
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2014 04:34 pm
Quote:

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2014/01/debunking_the_n.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

January 14, 2014

Debunking the "NSA Mass Surveillance Could Have Stopped 9/11" Myth
It's something that we're hearing a lot, both from NSA Director General Keith Alexander and others: the NSA's mass surveillance programs could have stopped 9/11. It's not true, and recently two people have published good essays debunking this claim.
The first is from Lawrence Wright, who wrote the best book (The Looming Tower) on the lead-up to 9/11:
Judge Pauley cites the 9/11 Commission Report for his statement that telephone metadata "might have permitted the N.S.A. to notify the [F.B.I.] of the fact that al-Mihdhar was calling the Yemeni safe house from inside the United States." What the report actually says is that the C.I.A. and the N.S.A. already knew that Al Qaeda was in America, based on the N.S.A.’s monitoring of the Hada phone. If they had told the F.B.I., the agents would have established a link to the embassy-bombings case, which "would have made them very interested in learning more about Mihdhar." Instead, "the agents who found the source were being kept from obtaining the fruits of their work."
The N.S.A. failed to understand the significance of the calls between the U.S. and Yemen. The C.I.A. had access to the intelligence, and knew that Al Qaeda was in the U.S. almost two years before 9/11. An investigation by the C.I.A.’s inspector general found that up to sixty people in the agency knew that Al Qaeda operatives were in America. The inspector general said that those who refused to coöperate with the F.B.I. should be held accountable. Instead, they were promoted.
The second is by Peter Bergen, another 9/11 scholar:
But is it really the case that the U.S. intelligence community didn't have the dots in the lead up to 9/11? Hardly.
In fact, the intelligence community provided repeated strategic warning in the summer of 9/11 that al Qaeda was planning a large-scale attacks on American interests.
[...]
All of these serious terrorism cases argue not for the gathering of ever vaster troves of information but simply for a better understanding of the information the government has already collected and that are derived from conventional law enforcement and intelligence methods.
Tags: 9/11, al Qaeda,