Snowdon is a dummy

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 03:58 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
They must have spied on the NSA to make that confirmation.
Well, that information had been given before the 1968 secret- information-sharing pact with the United States had been stopped by the German government in August.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 04:00 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

One thing is for damn sure; they don't need 800,000 workers looking for terrorists on US citizens' private communication/information data collection.

How many do they need, ci?
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 04:01 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
They must have spied on the NSA to make that confirmation.
Well, that information had been given before the 1968 secret- information-sharing pact with the United States had been stopped by the German government in August.

Wow...they are still building buildings begun before 1968! Now that does sound like a waste of money.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 04:08 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Some manageable amount that is directly related to terrorists - not American citizens.

That's in accordance with our Constitution.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 04:13 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Some manageable amount that is directly related to terrorists - not American citizens.

Well...maybe they have determined the number needed is 800,000. Do you have another estimate in mind?

Quote:

That's in accordance with our Constitution.

Wow. I did not know that. I must have missed it in previous readings.

I'll look it over later.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 04:27 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Yes, but it's only a wild guess. I would say 500 for the whole department is plenty. Al qaeda is pretty much isolated already, and most of the 'other' intelligence agencies already work on terrorist activities 24/7. We're talking about only one segment of intelligence; the NSA. Most of their activities are putting their nose into private lives all across this planet. Most countries already have privacy rights where they operate - illegally.

That's not good for foreign relations or for international commerce.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 04:57 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Yes, but it's only a wild guess. I would say 500 for the whole department is plenty. Al qaeda is pretty much isolated already, and most of the 'other' intelligence agencies already work on terrorist activities 24/7. We're talking about only one segment of intelligence; the NSA. Most of their activities are putting their nose into private lives all across this planet. Most countries already have privacy rights where they operate - illegally.

Okay.

The NSA says 800,00 and you say 500.

Big difference!

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 05:03 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Good to know you "see" the Big Difference! Mr. Green
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 05:12 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Good to know you "see" the Big Difference! Mr. Green

Oh, I don't know that I would use the expression "the" big difference. There seems to me to be two "big differences"...although I am not sure.

The difference between 800,000 and 500 is considerable, but so is the difference between how you arrived at 500 (which you say is a wild guess) and the way the NSA arrived at their 800,000 and got it approved by congress...is almost certainly a "big difference" also.

Don't know how to check that...so I'll just set it aside for now. May come into play somewhere later.

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 05:51 pm
@Frank Apisa,
What was "approved by congress" was based on lies and innuendos, and not knowing what the NSA was doing. This kind of secret is against our Constitution.

This is also how our government started the wars on lies in Vietnam and Iraq.

They lied to congress.
spendius

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 06:23 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:

Apisa is not concerned with such materialistic matters as that. He is concerned with saving American lives no matter what the cost. He can't be faulted. He chooses positions he can't be faulted on unless you ask him if the cost of saving every American life from terrorists kills more Americans in the hospitals and areas of deprivation.

He definitely won't answer any questions of that nature. He's the reincarnation of Florence Nightingale. A saint in our midst.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 06:34 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

What was "approved by congress" was based on lies and innuendos, and not knowing what the NSA was doing. This kind of secret is against our Constitution.

This is also how our government started the wars on lies in Vietnam and Iraq.

They lied to congress.

Hummm...people from the intelligence community telling lies.

Who ever woulda thunk it!

C'mon, ci.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 06:39 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Come on? I'm not sure whether you read the newspaper/media or listen to the radio or tv, but this is now 'common' knowledge to many around the world.

Quote:
Fire DNI James Clapper: He lied to Congress about NSA surveillance.

and

Quote:
By U.S. Rep. David Schweikert

Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:26 PM
Every week, new revelations are exposing how the NSA and other intelligence agencies misled Congress and the American people about invasive data gathering that violates our fundamental principles of privacy.

Just last week, a D.C. Circuit Court judge ruled that the NSA’s phone data-collection practices likely violate constitutional protections against unreasonable search and seizure. The court proceedings provided a window into operations at the NSA that should give every citizen reason for concern and even more compelling reasons why Congress must work together to reign in the NSA’s abuse of power.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 06:42 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Come on? I'm not sure whether you read the newspaper/media or listen to the radio or tv, but this is now 'common' knowledge to many around the world.

Quote:
Fire DNI James Clapper: He lied to Congress about NSA surveillance.

Yes, ci. But pointing out that a members of the intelligence community lie...is like pointing out that members of congress wear jackets when on the floor of the House.

The former are actually trained to lie...and to do it artfully.

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 06:46 pm
@Frank Apisa,
No, Frank, there's a huge difference when congress is lied to by our intelligence agencies and the charges against congress. You're only using a straw-man issue that has absolutely nothing to do with a) our government lied to by any branch of the government, b) the illegal processing of any intelligence agency to collect US citizen's communication (privacy is guaranteed by our Constitution), and c) the balance of power between the three branches of our government.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 06:51 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

No, Frank, there's a huge difference when congress is lied to by our intelligence agencies and the charges against congress. You're only using a straw-man issue that has absolutely nothing to do with a) our government lied to by any branch of the government, b) the illegal processing of any intelligence agency to collect US citizen's communication (privacy is guaranteed by our Constitution), and c) the balance of power between the three branches of our government.

You want to see what the NSA is doing...as something bad or evil or unnecessary.

I want to see it as necessary.

Stick with you position...I will stick with mine.

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 07:09 pm
@Frank Apisa,
True; I find it totally unnecessary, and feel even 500 workers at NSA are too many! That's my personal opinion about a branch of our government who has broken laws of this country.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 07:36 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:

Apisa is not concerned with such materialistic matters as that. He is concerned with saving American lives no matter what the cost. He can't be faulted. He chooses positions he can't be faulted on unless you ask him if the cost of saving every American life from terrorists kills more Americans in the hospitals and areas of deprivation.
He definitely won't answer any questions of that nature. He's the reincarnation of Florence Nightingale. A saint in our midst.

If foreign companies start harming our economic interests because of the mere fact that our intelligence services hunt for terrorists, the solution is to take action against those foreign companies.

Such action can take a variety of forms. For instance, we could start levying trade sanctions against certain countries because of their unfair trade practices.

Or Congress could pass legislation directing the NSA to begin targeting anti-American corporations and plundering their intellectual property.
JTT

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 10:14 pm
@oralloy,
The US doesn't have intelligence services. Such a thought is oxymoronic.
The US has groups of liars that provide support to the top terrorists who then
commit the massive war crimes that the US is so famous for.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 11:26 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
Quote:
The panel recommends keeping the database with phone companies or a trusted third party, requiring requests when data is needed.

Most of the people who are against letting the NSA keep the data themselves, also tend to not think highly of corporations.

If this proposal to let a "trusted third party" hold all the data is actually implemented, wait until it dawns on the NSA's critics that they've just handed all this private information over to a dreaded corporate entity.

It seems to have dawned on them.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/if-not-the-nsa-who-should-store-the-phone-data/2013/12/25/df00c99c-6ca9-11e3-b405-7e360f7e9fd2_story.html
0 Replies