Sad News: James Gandolfini "Tony Soprano" Dead at 51

spendius

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 03:14 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Mark Twain said, just as often able to babble nonsense as quote Shakepseare

I'm very pleased he said that fm. I'm as pleased as I was when ed quoted him on Jane Austen.

I have explained the difference between the Masters and The Sopranos. Some of the differences I should rather say. I can expatiate on the matter at some length.
spendius

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 03:19 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
Why in the world would you give any of Spendius' posts any credibility? They're there for sheer amusement, I'd always thought, no other use to them at all.

Amusement is all there is once properly mucked and foddered.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 03:20 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:
Mark Twain said, just as often able to babble nonsense as quote Shakepseare

I'm very pleased he said that fm. I'm as pleased as I was when ed quoted him on Jane Austen.

I have explained the difference between the Masters and The Sopranos. Some of the differences I should rather say. I can expatiate on the matter at some length.

I'm sure you can. That was why they were questioning....

...ahhh, never mind. You will never get it.
spendius

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 03:29 pm
@Frank Apisa,
If "it" is what you get I am happy I will never get it.

But I'll give "it" a shot if you tell me what "it" is. I'm pretty open minded but I can't judge an "it".

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 04:12 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

If "it" is what you get I am happy I will never get it.

But I'll give "it" a shot if you tell me what "it" is. I'm pretty open minded but I can't judge an "it".

I'll get back to ya. I'm trying to recover from the "I'm pretty open minded" thought. It may take a while.
Roberta

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 04:18 pm
Hard to believe, but I actually came to this thread to talk about James Gandolfini. Stranger things have been known to happen.

Yes, he was brilliant as Tony Soprano. Brilliant, I tell ya. He gave a powerful and nuanced performance. Unforgettable.

I saw him in other things. He was always dead on right for who he was supposed to be.

Sorry to hear that he died so young.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 04:27 pm
He looked a hell of a lot older than 51 which probably has something to do with why he died.
spendius

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 04:54 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I'll get back to ya. I'm trying to recover from the "I'm pretty open minded" thought. It may take a while.

Will you tell me what I am not opened minded about?

Why don't you ever explain what you mean rather than just smearing anybody you fancy with sneaky innuendos as you did with Bill.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 05:33 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:

Will you tell me what I am not opened minded about?

I don't think open-mindedness is a strong suit with you on any issue. Why don't you give being open-minded about whether or not you are open-minded a shot?

Quote:
Why don't you ever explain what you mean rather than just smearing anybody you fancy with sneaky innuendos as you did with Bill.

Actually, I do explain myself often. But if I actually were not doing so...I'd probably be doing it to rile you...and it looks as though I would be succeeding.

How are things these days, Spendius?

Wanna get off this crap...or do you want to keep on digging?
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 05:39 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:
Why in the world would you give any of Spendius' posts any credibility? They're there for sheer amusement, I'd always thought, no other use to them at all.

Amusement is all there is once properly mucked and foddered.

I've always been non committal regarding the hissy fits you have when some posters appear. This post was to express a sense of loss regarding an actor that many people enjoyed. In addition to his acting career, he was also very active in causes dedicated to helping wounded warriors. He did one on Network TV called "Alive Day". I met Galdofini several years back when he was shooting on location in my area. He seemed like a lovely, well spoken, intelligent man. But forget about that, this man also leaves behind a family who must be grief stricken and will miss him terribly. So for Mr. Galdofini, I hope he rests in peace. But for spendius, I wish for this thread you would drink a tall cool glass of 'shut the **** up'. There will always be other threads, you can perform then.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 05:44 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
He always sounded as if he had a septum problem. His labored nasal breathing I alwys thought was some affectation for his roles, until every role he played, there was the deviated septal sound.
firefly

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 08:11 pm
Quote:
ArtsBeat - New York Times Blog
June 20, 2013
James Gandolfini on Film: Emotional Textures in a Deceptive Face

By MANOHLA DARGIS

At one point in David Chase’s coming-of-age movie “Not Fade Away,” the young protagonist – a Jersey boy who dreams of breaking free of 1960s suburbia and the towering, disproving father played by James Gandolfini – looks at a film with Orson Welles. It isn’t just any film, but “Touch of Evil,” the 1958 pitch-black noir in which Welles cast himself as a great ruin of a man, a corrupt cop named Hank Quinlan. Mr. Chase holds on the movie and Welles just long enough for you to see this big man looming in the frame, this colossus of the art, long enough to set off a relay that links Welles’s image to that of the boy’s father and that of another titan played by Mr. Gandolfini, Tony Soprano.

In that single delirious cinematic moment, Mr. Chase creates a chain of signification that illuminates the oedipal undertow that helped make “The Sopranos” a pop cultural sensation. Playing television’s scariest father (daddy kills best) could turned into a trap for Mr. Gandolfini, but his talent transcended the medium. Television was neither his stage nor a cage, but rather a pathway to other roles, including parts in film and in theater. He had appeared in some 20 movies before he was in “The Sopranos,” though beyond “True Romance,” you might be hard pressed to name most of them. Looks can be destiny for movie actors, particularly when no one knows what they’ve got, and it’s no surprise that initially he played bruisers and bullies and guys named Angelo, Vinnie, Eddie and Joey.

People did notice, though, smart, influential movie people like Sidney Lumet, who put Mr. Gandolfini in several films. Roger Ebert was another early admirer. In his pan of a risible 1996 diversion, “The Juror,” Mr. Ebert, after breezing past its stars, Demi Moore and Alec Baldwin, admiringly singled out Mr. Gandolfini and his line readings. “If the movie had been pitched at the level of sophistication and complexity that his character represents,” Mr. Ebert wrote, “it would have been a lot better.” Such is the fate of the great character actors, who, role after role, are called on to add shading – a line reading, a swaggering gait, a jaw that leads, quivers, retreats – to lesser pictures. From the late 1980s to the late 1990s that’s precisely what Mr. Gandolfini did until Mr. Chase arrived with his game changer.

Mr. Gandolfini’s movie career, which had started to gather momentum before “The Sopranos,” can be divided into two epochs simply because every time he appeared on the big or small screen after the show he brought Tony Soprano with him. Breaking free of a famous role can be hard for an actor, particularly for one who was as closely associated with a show as he was. This isn’t necessarily a question of range, but of the rhythms and intimacy of episodic television, which, week after week in our homes connects performer and their roles until they can feel interchangeable. For some actors, like Sarah Michelle Gellar in “Buffy the Vampire Slayer,” a role can become the apotheosis of a career, the moment when a perfect actor and a perfect role became a transcendent whole.

However brilliant Mr. Gandolfini’s work in “The Sopranos” the two dozen or so movies he made after “The Sopranos” began proved there was more to him than its most ardent fans might have realized. There weren’t many films that were especially memorable, but even the more negligible, like “The Mexican” (2001), have their attractions. As he often did, he played a heavy in this one, a hit man called Leroy who, after kidnapping a woman (Julia Roberts), improbably makes you more curious about their relationship than the one she has with the boyfriend played by Brad Pitt. Whether Leroy is talking to her about the people he’s killed (those, who “have experienced love, they’re a little less scared”) or excavating his feelings, Mr. Gandolfini shifts the movie into a deeper, more sharply felt register.

Part of what pulls you into the performance is the play between that great beautiful slab of a face and the micro and macro movements that continuously ripple across it, creating changing, sometimes clashing emotional textures. One minute, the face opens out to the world like a child’s, the next it’s closing like a man’s fist. No matter what Mr. Gandolfini’s weight, which increased over time, his face remained a succession of rounded forms – the high forehead, the nose with the slightly bulbous tip – that when at rest could appear deceptively friendly, receptive. The divide between that face and what the character was thinking behind it was part of what made him such a great villain and, time and again, his characters led with a smile, an invitation that often became a trap for his victims.

There was more to him than his bad guys, though, as he showed in pinpoint turns in later movies as distinct as “In the Loop,” “The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3” and “Zero Dark Thirty.” He doesn’t actually appear on camera for one of his greatest performances as Carol, one of the title creatures in Spike Jonze’s “Where the Wild Things Are,” based on the Maurice Sendak book. Muting and blowing his signature nasal voice, Mr. Gandolfini magically transforms Carol – who onscreen is a lumbering beast with horns, a tail and a melancholic smile – into an achingly soulful being who’s by turns child and parent, the wild thing who makes you laugh, the one who makes you cry, the one who will hold you tight in his arms and who, as you sail away, will howl his love from the shore.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/06/20/james-gandolfini-on-film-emotional-textures-in-a-deceptive-face/?ref=television

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 09:14 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
He was a walking heart attack.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 09:22 pm
Quote:
The New York Times
June 20, 2013
A Complicated Actor Who Made a Complicated Mob Boss Indelible

By ALESSANDRA STANLEY

“I feel like I came in at the end of something great,” Tony Soprano told his therapist in the first episode of “The Sopranos,” the series that turned a little-known actor named James Gandolfini into the definitive postmodern mob boss.

Tony wouldn’t say what his business really was, and that gave his malaise a more metaphorical feel — the fear of decline he described could just as easily have been about the nation’s best years as the job he described as “waste management consultant.”

It didn’t take long to see that Tony’s lament was also an inside joke about the waning of the mobster genre. When “The Sopranos” began in 1999 on HBO, it seemed as if all the great organized-crime sagas, like “The Godfather” and “Goodfellas,” had already been made and that whatever came next could only be tepid imitations of more lasting work.

David Chase knew and did better. “The Sopranos” was a transformative series for television: it was the making of HBO and it helped shift the balance of creativity from networks to cable.

And Mr. Gandolfini, who died on Wednesday in Rome at 51, turned the image of the old-school Mafioso upside down.

Tony became a totemic figure not because he was so special, but because he could be so ordinary, a typical American dad trying to balance family responsibilities and the family business — only his line of work wasn’t insurance or used cars, it was crime. One of the better comic riffs was that racketeering is like any other racket: profits dwindle, employees shirk their duties, and younger protégés don’t know their place.

Tony was a mobster on Prozac, the head of a crime family with mommy issues, a suburban dad who doted on wild ducks and killed people, sometimes just because he felt like it. He was a “Big & Tall” bully with a disarming smile, a ladies’ man who sounded as if he had waking sleep apnea.

That opéra bouffe in six seasons would probably have burned itself into the country’s psyche even without Mr. Gandolfini. “The Sopranos” lowered the limits on violence, sex and profanity, and also lifted viewers’ expectations, offering the kind of wit, psychological insight and cinematic style that until then had seemed the preserve of art films.

But without Mr. Gandolfini, the series would certainly not have been as much fun. Mr. Gandolfini and Edie Falco, as Tony’s wife, Carmela, were perfectly matched — and peerless — in the art of balancing high drama and low humor. Mr. Gandolfini said he thought of Tony as a more violent version of Ralph Kramden in “The Honeymooners,” but the couple’s ups and downs weren’t always played for laughs. Their most fraught marital battles were as intense and mesmerizing as any by Edward Albee or Tennessee Williams.

The entire cast was superb, but Tony, most of all, could say some deliciously foolish things without ever becoming a clown. (He once mangled the proverb about revenge being a dish best served cold, saying, “Revenge is like serving cold cuts.”)

Tony wasn’t the only mobster in therapy. “Analyze This,” a comedy starring Robert De Niro as a mobster who consults a shrink, came out the year “The Sopranos” began. But in that contest between Mr. De Niro and Mr. Gandolfini, it was the small-screen actor who had more staying power in the part. Tony was the more intriguing character.

Even after so many murders, love affairs, family disputes, disappointments and protracted dream sequences, he was a low-class thug with charm and mystery.

Tony Soprano became a mythic hero in American culture, and that was hard for the actor to live down. “I never think about him, ever,” Mr. Gandolfini once told an interviewer.

Television, far more than movies, has a way of imprisoning its biggest stars. Hit shows last for years, and once viewers fall in love with a favorite character, they don’t like to let go. Carroll O’Connor was always Archie Bunker; Daniel J. Travanti never got out from under the shadow of his role as Frank Furillo in “Hill Street Blues”; and Jerry Seinfeld is still the bachelor comedian hanging out in a coffee shop with Elaine, George and Kramer.

Tony was at times a poignant figure, a made man at war with his own nature, struggling to not become the person we all knew him to be. When Mr. Gandolfini died, he was still working hard to not be entirely defined by the role of a lifetime.

The actor did better than many. He was an Italian-American who seemed born to play a New Jersey mobster — he grew up there, in Park Ridge. His father was an Italian immigrant who worked as a bricklayer and a janitor, and his mother was a lunch lady at a high school cafeteria. But he fought against type.

In 2007 he produced and narrated an excellent HBO documentary about wounded war veterans, “Alive Day Memories: Home From Iraq,” and made a point of keeping his distance from the camera and letting the soldiers do the talking. He followed that three years later with another documentary on the subject, “Wartorn: 1861-2010.”

His first major role after “The Sopranos” was on Broadway in 2009. He played a father from Cobble Hill in “God of Carnage.” He channeled the former Central Intelligence Agency director Leon Panetta in “Zero Dark Thirty,” a Giuliani-like mayor in the remake of “The Taking of Pelham 123.” He took a stab at political satire, playing an American antiwar general in the British spoof “‘In the Loop.”

No other role ever came close to offering the complex contradictions of Tony Soprano. Behind the scenes, Mr. Gandolfini had his own share of inconsistencies. He was a fiercely private person who had a public battle with drugs and alcohol.

He was a shy, quite humble actor who once described his physique in a movie as a “jelly doughnut in a camouflage outfit.” But Mr. Gandolfini went on a one-man strike over a salary dispute that drove HBO to shut down production at the start of the show’s fifth season. (His agents argued that he should be paid at the same level as other leading television actors like Dennis Franz of “N.Y.P.D. Blue” and Kelsey Grammer of “Frasier.”)

When he returned to the set, Mr. Gandolfini presented some colleagues with personal checks for tens of thousands of dollars, saying, “Thanks for putting up with me.”

The series ended on a mischievously ambiguous note, building to a denouement, but then letting the screen go blank and leaving millions of viewers in the dark about whether Tony lived or died at the restaurant table.

Mr. Gandolfini kept trying to kill off Tony Soprano and move on, and he will be best remembered for making that mob boss immortal.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/21/arts/television/a-complicated-actor-who-made-a-complicated-mob-boss-indelible.html?hp
BillRM

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 09:52 pm
@Roberta,
Quote:
Sorry to hear that he died so young.

With a little girl far too young to have any memories of her father.....damn shame.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 10:43 pm
@firefly,
firefly, Thanks for the obits. Interesting reading.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 04:06 am
@firefly,
Quote:
One day they blew him down in a clam bar in New York
He could see it comin' through the door as he lifted up his fork
He pushed the table over to protect his family
Then he staggered out into the streets of Little Italy

Bob Dylan. Joey.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 02:29 pm
@farmerman,
Yeah. Can't say I've followed his carreer very closely , but he seemed to always be playing the same guy.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 08:16 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Awwwww, it's sweet of you to think of something nice to say, I'm sure his family would find it heartwarming.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 09:03 pm
@glitterbag,
Well, if you want to pose as someone who has a personal connection with the man and his family, go for it.

It's a shame that he died so relatively young and I've no doubt that his family is bereaved, but he sought fame and he achieved it. Fame may connect a person , in a superficial way, with far more people than they could ever personally meet but it doesn't make the connection very personal.

Famous people die and they have folks galore like you who think they should honor them in some way despite the fact that they don't know them and they were, after all, merely actors, writers, atheletes etc. I think that overwhelms the comments of folks like me and farmerman who, perhaps callously, address the substance of their fame.

Obviously, I didn't make my comments about his acting (which even someone as pompus and dim as you should realize says virtually nothing about him as a person) in an e-mail to his family or even in a forum which we might expect his family to peruse.

If you find it offensive...tough ****.

But please continue to school us on decorum.