Quehoniaomath

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 12:27 pm
@InfraBlue,
so, what?

Are you for real?
Olivier5

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 03:38 pm
@Quehoniaomath,
Infrablue asks an important question: God does not seem to intervene much in our world. So even if he was proved to exist, so what? The guy's an absentee landlord.
Quehoniaomath

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 03:41 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Infrablue asks an important question: God does not seem to intervene much in our world. So even if he was proved to exist, so what? The guy's an absentee landlord.

Sure.
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 05:08 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Is it your best guess that you exist? Confused
Olivier5

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 05:22 pm
@giujohn,
Is it your best guess that there's no such thing as man-induced global warming, John?

Such contempt for science... ts ts ts...

giujohn

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 05:25 pm
@Olivier5,
Contempt for junk science? ABSOLUTELY!!

Short of popping off every nuke ever made (and then the earth would still in a relatively short time recover) man will never affect much of a change to the earth.
Olivier5

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 05:35 pm
@giujohn,
Quote:
Contempt for junk science? ABSOLUTELY!!

You don't get to decide what is junk science. On what basis could you possibly do so? E.g. how do you know HUP is not 'junk science'?

Quote:
man will never affect much of a change to the earth

Why not???
giujohn

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 05:40 pm
@Olivier5,
Because HUP has been proved over and over again
Man made global warming has not. The methodology is deeply flawed.

Because the earth is resilient and not as fragile as the enviormetalis whackos would have you believe
Olivier5

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 07:04 pm
@giujohn,
But you trust the science of HUP, you believe what physicists tell you, so why not climatologists?
Olivier5

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 07:05 pm
@giujohn,
The earth is not a magical entity, you know?
giujohn

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 07:21 pm
@Olivier5,
I believe what I see when I conduct the2 slit w/ an interferometer experiment.
I believe climatologists who do not have an ax to grind and who have not been caught lying.
Aagin, I suggest you read "Climatism!" and then challenge the science in for debate.
Brandon9000

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 07:22 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:
there is no evidence that something is true, it is illogical to believe that it is true.

Do you have evidence to prove that? Smile

Sure. It would be quite easy perform a test to see if the technique of believing things without evidence works. Just ask someone ten or twenty questions that they cannot possibly know the answer to and see how the technique works.
Brandon9000

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 07:24 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

Olivier5 wrote:
There is no evidence of an interventionist god -- whereas there should be, if he intervenes in our world.

(If one except goddess Fortuna. She most certainly exists... Smile)

As far as a non-intervensionist god is concerned... no evidence can be expected of him.

If there is no evidence that something is true, it is illogical to believe that it is true.

In the area of "gods" or "REALITY"...just about everything identified as a "belief" is nothing more than a blind guess...wearing the disguise of the word "belief."

I "believe" there is a GOD...is really nothing more than "my blind guess is that there is a GOD." The disguise of "belief" or "believe" is to give the guess integrity it truly does not have or deserve.

I "believe" there are no gods...is really nothing more than "my blind guess is that there are no gods." The disguise of "belief" or "believe" is to give the guess integrity it truly does not have or deserve.

If we were to substitute "blind guess" for the word "believe" in your question, Brandon, it changes things a bit...but a significant bit.

If there is no evidence that something is true, it is illogical to blindly guess that it is true.

Why?

There is no (unambiguous) evidence that there is a GOD...but why would it be illogical to blindly guess that there is one?

There is no (unambiguous) evidence that there are no gods...but why would it be illogical to blindly guess that there are none?

Blind guesses are just blind guesses.

I do not blind guess that there are none. I have never in any post on this board stated that I have reason to believe that there is no god. I only state that there is little or no evidence to justify a belief that there is one.

At no point have I suggested that you blindly guess there are no gods. One does not need evidence to blindly guess anything. I prefer not to do it...FOR THAT REASON.

Quote:
There is certainly a reason not to believe things with no evidence. The reason is that if you do that, you end up believing lots of things that are wrong. This can easily be verified experimentally. I put you in a room and ask you to blindly guess ten facts - if you like ten yes or no questions - that you have no possible way of knowing the answer to. What do you think the result will be?

Couldn't care less. The fact is though that science very often requires blind guesses...in order to proceed toward understanding.

Quote:
In my opinion, there is little or no evidence to suggest that there is a God and, therefore, it is illogical to believe that there is.

A blind guess is not illogical. It is merely a blind guess...and if it is identified as a blind guess...so what?

I can blindly guess there is sentient life on one of the planets circling the nearest 10 stars to Sol...or I can blindly guess there is NO sentient life on any of the planets circling the nearest 10 stars to Sol.

There is nothing illogical about that...they are just blind guesses.

Right. I thought I'd been clear. The illogical part is thinking that your blind guesses are true.
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 07:34 pm
@Olivier5,
No your right not a magical entity. But all you have to do is look up at the moon and you will see evidence of earths ability to remake it's self through out the eons.
RexRed

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 08:16 pm
No physical "evidence" is of God, especially if God can create an ocean but not a hello.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 08:45 pm
Six months ago I had 5 cops kicking me on the ground, I cried out and said what do you want me to hate cops and they stopped. Then the nurse said do you want to press charges and I said no. I am 51 years old. You try and live thought this ****. No charges were filed because I broke no laws.

I still love cops and their duty to the constitution...
neologist

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 08:50 pm
@RexRed,
What did they say you had done?
giujohn

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 08:51 pm
@RexRed,
Rex...is this post in the right thread?
RexRed

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 08:52 pm
@giujohn,
maybe it belongs in the gun thread...