pillage at the hands of both the Japanese and the KMT?

McTag

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 12:04 am
@JTT,

Quote:
do you think that there should be some measure of thoughtful behind a remark or should we just blast ESLs with any old thing?

That's a leading question, of the type "When did you stop beating your wife?" There is always a measure of thoughtful behind my remarks, and they are rarely wrong or unhelpful. When they are, I reconsider and retract, but happily this is necessary only in a vanishingly small proportion of them.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 08:22 am
@McTag,
Contrex:
Quote:
"At the hands of" is not only an idiom but also a cliché and can be replaced here with 'by'.

Quote:
I'm with Contrex on this one. "At the hands of" is not a good choice of words here; "by" has the advantage of being both simpler and better, imho.

Quote:
Oh for goodness sake

it's simpler....it does the job in fewer words
it's better...in my humble opinion

QED; no more reasoning required, even non-nebulous.

============================

http://able2know.org/topic/215572-1#post-5348430

@contrex,

An attempted short definition of intellectual rigour (US spelling: "rigor") might be that no suspicion of double standard be allowed: uniform principles should be applied. If a topic or case is dealt with in a rigorous way, it means that it is dealt with in a comprehensive, thorough and complete way, leaving no room for inconsistencies.

=================

McTag: I think I'd be hard-pressed to put that any better myself.
Intellectual rigour also means striving to meet the highest academic standards (in a teaching establishment).
0 Replies