Is it egotistical to think that a God would die for you?

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2021 09:37 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

This person doesn't understand evolution.

That's the level they're at.

They also do not understand logic...or probability.

But...if any religious person wants to come into a forum like A2K to argue that nonsense, we should be welcoming.

I am enjoying the interaction.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2021 09:41 am
@Frank Apisa,
There's religion and religion.

I don't agree with NNN, I think their logic and reasoning are flawed but they do not actively spread hate like Bb.

Certain people I will talk to, but Bb and those like them are beyond the pale,you just end up lending legitimacy to their repulsive ideology.
0 Replies

bulmabriefs144

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2021 01:04 pm
@Frank Apisa,
This was totally in the news.

https://babylonbee.com/news/episcopal-church-burns-man-stake-believing-biblical-inerrancy/

Quote:
“Die, wicked fundamentalist! You deserve this!” open-minded Episcopalians were heard yelling at the unrepentant man as he went up in flames. “Too bad you weren’t more open-minded and tolerant of heresies, untruths, ungrounded speculations, and other loosey-goosey opinions about the Bible!”

“I would say ‘burn in hell,’ if I believed the Bible when it says that such a place exists! But I emphatically do not!” another member was heard shouting.

In other news, you're confusing "truth" for "hate". I know it's a difficult concept, but I believe some day you'll get it.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2021 01:42 pm
@bulmabriefs144,
bulmabriefs144 wrote:

This was totally in the news.

https://babylonbee.com/news/episcopal-church-burns-man-stake-believing-biblical-inerrancy/

Quote:
“Die, wicked fundamentalist! You deserve this!” open-minded Episcopalians were heard yelling at the unrepentant man as he went up in flames. “Too bad you weren’t more open-minded and tolerant of heresies, untruths, ungrounded speculations, and other loosey-goosey opinions about the Bible!”

“I would say ‘burn in hell,’ if I believed the Bible when it says that such a place exists! But I emphatically do not!” another member was heard shouting.

In other news, you're confusing "truth" for "hate". I know it's a difficult concept, but I believe some day you'll get it.

Yeah...you do lots of "believing."

And in this case, one can almost hear you saying, "I hope you spend an eternity in hell being relentlessly tortured."

How can any sane person possibly "worship" a god who would even consider such a thing?

The myth that drives your "religion" is on a par with the least of the many other god myths of ancient religions.

Do yourself a favor and break away from it.

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2021 09:14 pm
@izzythepush,
Doing well enough! How's by yourself and the Kid?
bulmabriefs144

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2021 10:21 pm
@Frank Apisa,
See this is your problem.

I say one thing, and you hear another.

Timothy talks about people having itching ears. I think it's Thessalonians that talks about about people being under a great delusion.

You literally see people who are trying to set you straight as hateful (you and izzy both, topoint where I can't tell you apart because you're both so lockstep), and declaring that they'll send you into hell.

Haven't you realized it? You ARE in Hell! Some of us are trying to pull you fools OUT of there because you're dragging us in there with you. Noticed gas prices lately? Lemme put it this way, I went to get gas for my car and some for my lawnmower. I spent $4 for car, and $6 for mower. $6 a year ago filled the mower container, now it's like half. I feel like our cabbage prices went up from $0.85 a head to $0.85/lb. Not just economics either. Our society has fundamentally changed. I challenge you not to wear a mask for a week, and count the places that won't allow you in. Or plays or movies or other event that have been cancelled "to contain the spread." I'm sorry , what spread? Our town is code red, which seems to only extend to its political leanings. Or airline flights gone. Or shipping vastly delayed. Btw, have fun at Christmas or Thanksgiving or Halloween when candy is basically unavailable, or you can't eat outside without harassment. When are you going to wake up?!?

I'm not interested in condemning you. I'm into talking some sense into you, but you, much like the Pharisees, is a massive brick wall that doesn't absorb anything, or maybe absorbs everything into rhe wall. You think people who have used and exploited you are your friends because they talk in a polite manner. "Won't you please give me all your money and all of your human rights? Please sir, wear this mask (intended as a dog muzzle to shut you up and cement your status as a slave), you're helping to keep us all safe."
Friends tell other friends the truth. The Bible intstructs me to love my enemy, what does that mean? Well liberals tell you that it's telling everyone sweet lies about how they're not really sinners. Nope, you, me, all sinners. Can we move on? That's not the important part.
No, it means trying to help people who disagree with you, even if they can't stand your help. It means standing up for truth, even while ppl like Pilate says "What is truth?" It means saying some very unpopular things, like that what's actually running countries nowadays is not elected presidents but oligarchs that throw their money and power around, and treat us like peons. Do you think Soros ever has to worry about the environment? Nah, he probably chain smokes, drives a luxury car, and has a very nice house that he has somehow opted out of paying property taxes for. Rules are for little people, right? But you probably don't know who Soros is.

So-called hateful ppl honestly just want to live in Texas or whatever, and have it be like the place they grew up in. Tolerant people seem to like to bully and harrass people to make Texas into California or Massachusetts. Dude, seriously. If you love Massachusetts so much, why not leave everyone outside of it alone? Honest God, some couple legit went from Massachusetts to Colorado because they couldn't stand that someone there had the nerve to want to do business on their own terms. How dare he!!! So bigoted against gays and trans ppl! Maybe if said ppl were actually from his state and not trying to ram views down his throat ormock him for his beliefs, this bigotry accusation would actually be real?
izzythepush

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2021 11:39 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Well enough, the Kid is getting married soon, so we're running around doing the preparations.
bulmabriefs144

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2021 01:04 am
@izzythepush,
That's good news!
@everyone_else
I had the most metal dream everyone! And you were in it, and you, and... actually to the best of my knowledge, nobody was in it, but that was a great part in Wizard of Oz.

Okay, we they were doing some weird sort of alchemy, and the ground was collapsing slowly, and like ostensibly I think they were building for a new school, but like I went to the bathroom, and the halls were filled with, I guess they were some sort of cell walls?
https://images.newscientist.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/c0036043-cell_infected_with_hiv_sem-spl.jpg
And there was the guy in charge of it trying to convince ppl that the ground was just a bit old, when he'd done one of these previous alchemy experiments, and pretty much everyone had fallen to their doom. I think dolls were involved too.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2021 04:13 am
@bulmabriefs144,
bulmabriefs144 wrote:

See this is your problem.

I say one thing, and you hear another.

Timothy talks about people having itching ears. I think it's Thessalonians that talks about about people being under a great delusion.

You literally see people who are trying to set you straight as hateful (you and izzy both, topoint where I can't tell you apart because you're both so lockstep), and declaring that they'll send you into hell.

Haven't you realized it? You ARE in Hell! Some of us are trying to pull you fools OUT of there because you're dragging us in there with you. Noticed gas prices lately? Lemme put it this way, I went to get gas for my car and some for my lawnmower. I spent $4 for car, and $6 for mower. $6 a year ago filled the mower container, now it's like half. I feel like our cabbage prices went up from $0.85 a head to $0.85/lb. Not just economics either. Our society has fundamentally changed. I challenge you not to wear a mask for a week, and count the places that won't allow you in. Or plays or movies or other event that have been cancelled "to contain the spread." I'm sorry , what spread? Our town is code red, which seems to only extend to its political leanings. Or airline flights gone. Or shipping vastly delayed. Btw, have fun at Christmas or Thanksgiving or Halloween when candy is basically unavailable, or you can't eat outside without harassment. When are you going to wake up?!?

I'm not interested in condemning you. I'm into talking some sense into you, but you, much like the Pharisees, is a massive brick wall that doesn't absorb anything, or maybe absorbs everything into rhe wall. You think people who have used and exploited you are your friends because they talk in a polite manner. "Won't you please give me all your money and all of your human rights? Please sir, wear this mask (intended as a dog muzzle to shut you up and cement your status as a slave), you're helping to keep us all safe."
Friends tell other friends the truth. The Bible intstructs me to love my enemy, what does that mean? Well liberals tell you that it's telling everyone sweet lies about how they're not really sinners. Nope, you, me, all sinners. Can we move on? That's not the important part.
No, it means trying to help people who disagree with you, even if they can't stand your help. It means standing up for truth, even while ppl like Pilate says "What is truth?" It means saying some very unpopular things, like that what's actually running countries nowadays is not elected presidents but oligarchs that throw their money and power around, and treat us like peons. Do you think Soros ever has to worry about the environment? Nah, he probably chain smokes, drives a luxury car, and has a very nice house that he has somehow opted out of paying property taxes for. Rules are for little people, right? But you probably don't know who Soros is.

So-called hateful ppl honestly just want to live in Texas or whatever, and have it be like the place they grew up in. Tolerant people seem to like to bully and harrass people to make Texas into California or Massachusetts. Dude, seriously. If you love Massachusetts so much, why not leave everyone outside of it alone? Honest God, some couple legit went from Massachusetts to Colorado because they couldn't stand that someone there had the nerve to want to do business on their own terms. How dare he!!! So bigoted against gays and trans ppl! Maybe if said ppl were actually from his state and not trying to ram views down his throat ormock him for his beliefs, this bigotry accusation would actually be real?

Bulma...you do not know what you are talking about...and even your misconceptions are transmitted in such an incoherent way, they makes no sense.

Stick with your blind guesses about the REALITY. Be "saved" from the wrath of that god of yours. Attempt to "save" others from its anger also...if that is what gets you through life comfortably.

But if you peddle your **** here in an Internet site that has a wider perspective of things...you are going to get lots of blowback.

Time for you to start handling it better.
bulmabriefs144

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2021 05:25 am
@Frank Apisa,
No, I'm afraid I do know what I'm talking about.

But go on, keep getting duped by those around you. They want you Dead.

Note the Tolkien capitalization.

Neither "blind guesses" nor "reality" are truths. It is precisely because I know what is Reality that I speak to you thus. If it didn't matter, then I would certainly drop the subject.

I'm gonna ask you something. How do you think this all works? You think other people can't be sure. Which is basically the hardest agnosticism I've ever seen. (Most agnostics simply maintain they aren't sure, they don't impose a position of hard skepticism on other people) If knowledge of any kind is impossible, how is that different from nihilism? After all, if nothing can be sure, why bother?
And you don't wanna be a nihilist. Many people think they do, because it's a nice foray into their own desires. But if you don't have a purpose (not a job), you find yourself old and gray, having wasted your better years doing someone else's bidding. Or maybe you let some addiction destroy your body. Or maybe you join one of the many feel-good cults the world has to offer. I'm not talking about religions. There's the military cult where you tell yourself you are serving your country and you seek after glory, only to get yourself blowed up, and all they give them is a stupid trinket. There's the sex cult, where you get STDs as an award, and probably no life ever comes out of these dalliances, because the sex cult is actually related to the abortion cult (these ones have names, Baal and Molech). There's the state cult where you worship your government and the power it promises you. Until... they start raising taxes on you, to take everything you have. If these things don't matter, why do all these false cults tend to harm you?

How does life work, if you and, so you say, I can be sure of nothing in religious matters?
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2021 06:03 am
@bulmabriefs144,
bulmabriefs144 wrote:

No, I'm afraid I do know what I'm talking about.

But go on, keep getting duped by those around you. They want you Dead.

Note the Tolkien capitalization.

Neither "blind guesses" nor "reality" are truths. It is precisely because I know what is Reality that I speak to you thus. If it didn't matter, then I would certainly drop the subject.

I'm gonna ask you something. How do you think this all works? You think other people can't be sure. Which is basically the hardest agnosticism I've ever seen. (Most agnostics simply maintain they aren't sure, they don't impose a position of hard skepticism on other people) If knowledge of any kind is impossible, how is that different from nihilism? After all, if nothing can be sure, why bother?
And you don't wanna be a nihilist. Many people think they do, because it's a nice foray into their own desires. But if you don't have a purpose (not a job), you find yourself old and gray, having wasted your better years doing someone else's bidding. Or maybe you let some addiction destroy your body. Or maybe you join one of the many feel-good cults the world has to offer. I'm not talking about religions. There's the military cult where you tell yourself you are serving your country and you seek after glory, only to get yourself blowed up, and all they give them is a stupid trinket. There's the sex cult, where you get STDs as an award, and probably no life ever comes out of these dalliances, because the sex cult is actually related to the abortion cult (these ones have names, Baal and Molech). There's the state cult where you worship your government and the power it promises you. Until... they start raising taxes on you, to take everything you have. If these things don't matter, why do all these false cults tend to harm you?

How does life work, if you and, so you say, I can be sure of nothing in religious matters?

Bulma, I think you are incapable of coherent conversation. That notwithstanding, I will offer this:

On the question of whether or not any gods exist, my position is:

I do not know if any GOD (or gods) exist or not;
I see no reason to suspect that gods cannot exist…that the existence of a GOD or gods is impossible;
I see no reason to suspect that at least one GOD must exist...that the existence of at least one GOD is needed to explain existence;
I do not see enough unambiguous evidence upon which to base a meaningful guess in either direction on whether any gods exist or not...so I don't.

(When I use the word "GOD or gods" here, I mean "The entity (or entities) responsible for the creation of what we humans call 'the physical universe'...IF SUCH AN ENTITY OR ENTITIES ACTUALLY EXIST.)

If you have any question about that please ask them. But quote what I have said exactly...cut and paste, please.

If you think you can counter anything about that, please offer your counter. But quote what I have said exactly...cut and paste, please.

We can discuss your response.

0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2021 06:56 am
@bulmabriefs144,
Frank said:
Quote:
I do not know if any GOD (or gods) exist or not;
I see no reason to suspect that gods cannot exist…that the existence of a GOD or gods is impossible;
I see no reason to suspect that at least one GOD must exist...that the existence of at least one GOD is needed to explain existence;
I do not see enough unambiguous evidence upon which to base a meaningful guess in either direction on whether any gods exist or not...so I don't.

If you think you can counter anything about that, please offer your counter. But quote what I have said exactly...cut and paste, please.

We can discuss your response.

bulma, I can attest to the fact that Frank is being 'less than truthful' here.

If you ever deliver what Frank is asking for, he will put you on 'ignore'. I refer here to number three on his list (no reason that at least one God is needed to explain existence) and of course his last claim of willingness to discuss.

But don’t let that stop you, consider it a badge of honor if it ever happens : )
bulmabriefs144

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2021 09:00 am
@Leadfoot,
Yeah, I know.

Also, that's not even the worst intellectual dishonesty I've seen today.

I walked to church, and nobody there was wearing a mask. "Okay, things are cool right now," I thought. I'm unvaccinated of course (even if I didn't equate them trying hard to make it legally required to enter a shop with the Mark of the Beast, there's also the issue of a number of toxic fillers in jabs such as mercury), so I flatly said "No" rather than tell them it was none of their damned business, as medical privacy has been historically protected by the US Constitution. They got as far as "In that case you'll have to..." I cut them off, and asked if I had to leave, then walked out anyway. The thing is, Jesus himself had unwashed hands for most of these meals and condemned the Jews for not sticking to the laws of God. Yet, the same thing happening over again. Nope, totally not cool. Christians are called to clothe the naked, feed the hungry, welcome the stranger. Where is any of that? They're behaving like the secular.

And yes, #3 is bogus.
0 Replies

NealNealNeal

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2021 10:57 am
@Leadfoot,
I had a few of my posts deleted and I was temporarily banned. Since Bulma did a great job discussing homosexuality, I will leave it at that.
Since Frank refuses to accept that there is more to the Spiritual world than "maybe God exists" there is litter I can do for him. However, there are other people paying attention.
Frank thinks logically. In human terms he is a good man. Since he rejects the apologetics of Christians over the last 2000 years and hr won't accept people's testimony there is little I can do.

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2021 11:43 am
@NealNealNeal,
NealNealNeal wrote:

I had a few of my posts deleted and I was temporarily banned. Since Bulma did a great job discussing homosexuality, I will leave it at that.
Since Frank refuses to accept that there is more to the Spiritual world than "maybe God exists" there is litter I can do for him. However, there are other people paying attention.
Frank thinks logically. In human terms he is a good man. Since he rejects the apologetics of Christians over the last 2000 years and hr won't accept people's testimony there is little I can do.

What do you suggest that I do? Accept that Goldilocks actually did invade the home of a family of bears?

I have given a huge amount of consideration to the apologetics of Christianity...at least as much as most non-clerics have. I did aspire to the priesthood at one time...and made concerted efforts in that direction.

Then things changed...and I realized that what is now my position was more honest and made more sense.

On the question of "Does at least one god exist...or are there no gods?"...my position essentially is: I do not know.

You are saying there is a better, more honest position...one that makes more sense?

C'mon!
BillRM

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2021 02:17 pm
@Frank Apisa,
An interesting question is how do you define the term god?

I can not see a Christian god existing in any case.

Just using the word god without defining the word is meaningless.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2021 02:23 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

An interesting question is how do you define the term god?

I can not see a Christian god existing in any case.

Just using the word god without defining the word is meaningless.

When using the words "god" or "gods"...I always mention MY intentions. I have done it dozens of times here in the forum.

MY intentions are to denote , "The entity (or entities) responsible for the creation of what we humans call 'the physical universe'...IF SUCH AN ENTITY OR ENTITIES ACTUALLY EXIST."

Not exactly a "definition" but an explanation of what I mean in the context of the discussion taking place.
0 Replies

NealNealNeal

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2021 04:01 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Why did you stop believing? Did you fail to consider how much God loved Israel in the OT? Did you fail to realize that God is ALMIGHTY and not a egotistical MAN? Was it the inconsistencies of the Catholic Church? Was it the weaknesses of American Christians in general? Was it that God is not restrained by physical laws (which He created). Is it that you don't want to be accountable to a Holy God?
Leadfoot

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2021 04:47 pm
@NealNealNeal,
Quote:
Neal asked Frank:
“ Why did you stop believing?”

That's an off limits question for Frank. I’ve asked him that myself. Seems to be a sore spot with him because he won’t really say.

I don’t believe his story that he woke up one day and “grew up”.
0 Replies

bulmabriefs144

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2021 10:59 pm
@NealNealNeal,
I wouldn't call this logical.

He's basically a hard agnostic, asserting the position of classical skepticism (i.e. "no one can know anything") to religion.

I have no problem with soft agnosticism, but hard agnosticism is basically atheism in disguise, a sort of way to say "well I never really said God doesn't exist..." Which in turn, to my way of thinking is essentially nihilistic copout. I guess I'm thankful that he's not participating in mass murders (I guess I call that good), but his life seems depressingly bleak and pointless. And he works hard to try to snuff it out in others.

I am currently watching His Dark Materials, and I get the same sense from most of these people. I know the writer is an avowed atheist that has crazy notions about angels and original sin, but ummmm... this intercision process of splitting people from their daemons seems far more like what atheists try to do to people, separating them from their faith.

Quote:
Then, they separate children from their daemons — a painful, often fatal process called intercision. Since daemons are an extension of a person’s soul, intercision is akin to a lobotomy. Even if a person survives the process, he’s stripped of vitality. What is the purpose of intercision?

To the Church, Dust is a very, very bad thing. It’s physical evidence of Original Sin. Dust first landed on humans after Adam and Eve made the conscious decision to eat the forbidden fruit in the Garden of Eden. After that act, the Church believes humankind was irrevocably fallen. Dust is a reminder.

After the intercision process, Dust no longer settles on a person. That’s because her mind is completely closed to thoughts, choice, and vitality; she shuffles along purposelessly. The Gobblers aren’t saving kids. What the Gobblers are really doing is killing their spirits, and often their bodies.

We hear atheists talk about how Christians are "brainwashing" kids. Right. Because atheist adults seem so happy and adjusted. Half of them are in wokeness parades protesting problems that don't exist (climate change isn't real). The other half seem to be so caught up in YOLO weirdness that they essentially throw their lives away on crazy risks and addictions. Christian kids? They go to church. When society is healthy, they work, get married, settle down and raise families. When it isn't, they usually wind up getting martyred while just trying to live a normal life. Again, not Frank Apisa. But he's also got worldview that I'd honestly find too gloomy to function. I guess he does by not examining it too closely. I'm already insane, so no thanks, don't want what he's selling.