What does "on coming out" mean?

Reply Wed 29 May, 2013 08:52 pm

Context:

Openly gay men's college basketball player on coming out
More:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2013/05/29/openly-gay-college-basketball-player-jallen-messersmith-discusses-coming-out/2370927/

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 29 May, 2013 09:24 pm
@oristarA,
"On" means "about." "Coming out" is in reference to the idiom "in the closet" meaning homosexuals that for one reason or another hide their sexuality. The article is about an openly gay men's college basketball player talking about being open about his sexuality. It's a redundant sentence.
oristarA

Reply Thu 30 May, 2013 07:19 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

"On" means "about." "Coming out" is in reference to the idiom "in the closet" meaning homosexuals that for one reason or another hide their sexuality. The article is about an openly gay men's college basketball player talking about being open about his sexuality. It's a redundant sentence.

So "on coming out" mean "about to reveal his true sexual orientation"?
engineer

Reply Thu 30 May, 2013 08:29 am
@oristarA,
It means his thoughts about revealing his sexuality.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 30 May, 2013 08:32 am
@oristarA,

Quote:

Not exactly. "About to reveal" means he still has to do it. (It hasn't happened yet)

"...on coming out...", means he is writing about what it means to disclose his homosexuality.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 30 May, 2013 10:32 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Quote:

Not exactly. "About to reveal" means he still has to do it. (It hasn't happened yet)

"...on coming out...", means he is writing about what it means to disclose his homosexuality.

Exactly, nobody comes out as a heterosexual.
contrex
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 30 May, 2013 12:34 pm
To come out originally meant to reveal ones hitherto concealed or unacknowledged homosexuality. A person might come out to their friends and colleagues before coming out to their family. By extension it can now mean to reveal a number of things, not necessarily connected with sexuality. I recently came out to my colleagues as a trainspotter. People might talk about coming out as an alcoholic, a conservative or an atheist for example.

contrex

Reply Thu 30 May, 2013 12:35 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

nobody comes out as a heterosexual.

They might in a gay club, or after joining the cast of a musical theatre production.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 30 May, 2013 01:04 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Exactly, nobody comes out as a heterosexual.

This guy did (pay close attention to the first thing he says).

0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 30 May, 2013 06:27 pm
Thank you all.
0 Replies

curtisdennis

Reply Fri 31 May, 2013 12:53 am
@oristarA,
This can mean something different to everyone. Coming out to yourself has to do with developing an awareness that you are LGBTQ. Coming out to others involves disclosing your LGBTIQ identity. Coming out to others may be an ongoing process throughout life, though when it’s talked about, for example, as “when did you come out?” it refers to when you first disclosed your LGBTQ identitiy to significant family and friends. Some people choose to come out only to specific people in their life.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 31 May, 2013 02:25 am
@contrex,

Disagree.
If you "come out", you are talking about homosexuality.
If you "come out" as an alcoholic, a trainspotter or a conservative, you need to explain what you are explaining.
oristarA

Reply Fri 31 May, 2013 05:51 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Disagree.
If you "come out", you are talking about homosexuality.
If you "come out" as an alcoholic, a trainspotter or a conservative, you need to explain what you are explaining.

The nuance is highlighted.
Anatomical analysis will be appreciated.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 31 May, 2013 06:00 am
@oristarA,
Quote:

Could you please explain what you mean by this?
oristarA

Reply Fri 31 May, 2013 06:40 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:

Could you please explain what you mean by this?

An analysis of anatomising the grammatical structure and its cultural implications will be appreciated.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 31 May, 2013 06:58 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:
By extension it can now mean to reveal a number of things, not necessarily connected with sexuality. I recently came out to my colleagues as a trainspotter. People might talk about coming out as an alcoholic, a conservative or an atheist for example.

it's definitely an idiom that now is used in many situations. You need to know context to figure out what people are coming out about.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 31 May, 2013 06:59 am
@McTag,
Disagree.
Setanta

Reply Fri 31 May, 2013 07:00 am
Is any of this like coming out with a rash?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 31 May, 2013 07:21 am
@oristarA,
The word "anatomical" is related to "anatomy" as in physical body parts. Medical students study "anatomy" where they learn the names of all the bones, muscles and organs.

We use the phrase "anatomically correct doll" to mean a doll that has genitals.

Usually when I use the word "anatomical" it is as a somewhat joking euphemism for genitals. Which is why when I read your post, the first thing I thought is that you wanted me to look at your penis.

I (as a native English speaking American) have never used the word "anatomizing". In fact, I had to look it up to find out what you were talking about.

oristarA

Reply Fri 31 May, 2013 07:28 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

The word "anatomical" is related to "anatomy" as in physical body parts. Medical students study "anatomy" where they learn the names of all the bones, muscles and organs.

We use the phrase "anatomically correct doll" to mean a doll that has genitals.

Usually when I use the word "anatomical" it is as a somewhat joking euphemism for genitals. Which is why when I read your post, the first thing I thought is that you wanted me to look at your penis.

I (as a native English speaking American) have never used the word "anatomizing". In fact, I had to look it up to find out what you were talking about.

Here we've encountered cultural misunderstandings.

How about using this:

Analyzing the nuance will be welcomed.
0 Replies