What does "on coming out" mean?

ehBeth

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 02:14 pm
@contrex,
If Joe says, Bob's going to come out, and you respond, oh, Bob's gay - you're going to run into problems here. It might mean Bob is gay, or it could mean Bob has some kind of unexpected interest, or he's meeting the group later.

Coming out doesn't simply indicate that someone is gay. 20 - 25 years ago that might have been a safeish assumption to make.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 02:15 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
It's always [in a relative sense as regards our lifetime capacities] been there.

it was there

I wouldn't make that kind of assumption now.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 02:39 pm
@JTT,

I think ehBeth is peeved with me, because of something else.

I hope we can make it up later.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 02:58 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

If Joe says, Bob's going to come out, it might mean ... he's meeting the group later.

Well, that the normal, previous meaning of "come out", say I meet Jim and Bill in the pub and I ask "Where's Bob?" and Jim says "He's at home eating his supper but he's coming out later", of course I wouldn't say "I never knew he was a woofter". This isn't what I was talking about. EhBeth wrote

"if you told me someone was coming out - without any qualifiers - you would get a blank look from me, and a question to try and clarify what you were talking about".

That is a different situation.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 08:27 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
"I am a débutante"

I'd say that's one's deader than a door nail but I ain't much for high society folk or their ways.
contrex

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2013 01:40 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
"I am a débutante"

I'd say that's one's deader than a door nail but I ain't much for high society folk or their ways.

I don't think, even when there were such things as débutantes, that anyone said they were one. In the British context, the last débutantes ("debs") were presented at Court in 1958, the year Queen Elizabeth II abolished the ceremony.
McTag

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2013 11:51 am
@contrex,

At one time there used to be a type of fellow (Bertie Wooster-ish?) referred to as a "debs delight".
ehBeth

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2013 12:11 pm
The coming out thing came up again in one of my circles a couple of weeks ago.

One friend said, "Eli's poly"
Another said, "oh, so they came out"

Eli's not gay.

I think it may have something to do with where I live and the people I spend time with. A disproportionate number of them have come out as all sorts of things. Many of them related to sex in some way, few of them to do with homosexuality - as homosexuals are simply part of the community here. Nothing to come out from.
JTT

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2013 12:17 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
few of them to do with homosexuality - as homosexuals are simply part of the community here. Nothing to come out from.

Even in hoity toity T.O. , there are people that would be afraid to come out.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2013 12:22 pm
@JTT,
Could be. There are so many openly gay people around, it's a bit hard to imagine there could be more, but there could be.

Watch for me at the parades eh
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2013 12:22 pm
@JTT,
hoity toity?

definitely not a part of tranna I have experience with
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2013 01:11 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:
At one time there used to be a type of fellow (Bertie Wooster-ish?) referred to as a "debs delight".

I was once in a chip shop in Brixham in Devon, during the holiday season, and a middle aged man who was before me in the queue pointed at a jumbo sausage and said it was a "widow's delight".
0 Replies