"He's not a bully, he's a psychopath."

Reply Fri 24 May, 2013 10:12 am
I said that sentence to Mr. B today.

I recall this article from Smithsonian: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/The-Pros-to-Being-a-Psychopath-176019901.html?c=y&page=1

Choice quotes:

Quote:
When psychologists talk about psychopaths, what we’re referring to are people who have a distinct set of personality characteristics, which include things like ruthlessness, fearlessness, mental toughness, charm, persuasiveness and a lack of conscience and empathy

Quote:
Psychopaths are assertive. Psychopaths don’t procrastinate. Psychopaths tend to focus on the positive. Psychopaths don’t take things personally; they don’t beat themselves up if things go wrong, even if they’re to blame. And they’re pretty cool under pressure.

Quote:
Psychopaths don’t think, should I do this or shouldn’t I do this? They just go ahead and do stuff.

The particular person Mr. B and I were discussing does an amazing job of keeping everyone around them walking on eggshells, guessing whether s/he is friend or foe at any given moment and they are able to very carefully tread the line between doing things that will get them in trouble or not (usually by getting someone else to do their dirty work).

Mr. B says that all psychopaths are bullies.

I'm not so sure.

What do you think?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,253 • Replies: 6

Rockhead

Reply Fri 24 May, 2013 10:17 am
@boomerang,
my guess is no. bullying is just one tool in the box.

but I'm not a psychologist nor a psychopath, so I'm purely speculamating...
vikorr

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2013 02:33 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:
Mr. B says that all psychopaths are bullies.
Just about every person I've ever known has bullied another person in some way or other.

It's in human nature to bully (even if just in small and subtle ways). Does that mean humanity itself is psychopathic?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2013 02:56 pm
@boomerang,
The biggest problem we have with discussing psychopathy is that most of the research has been done on convicted criminals.

Keeping that in mind, psychopaths seem to view almost every relationship in terms of power. They'll bully people that they feel they can bully, and they manipulate those they can't bully.
Setanta

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 02:47 am
@DrewDad,
Best response so far.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 08:02 am
@DrewDad,
You're right!

When you say psychopath everyone thinks Ted Bundy and that isn't always the case. I think we could all use a better understanding of psychopathy.
vikorr

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 03:03 am
@boomerang,
In fact, if you point out that a person has psychopathic/sociopathic traits - it's taken as an insult...no matter that it may be true, and no matter that the person may be quite charming, socially adept, with great manners (ie a likeable person)

That to me say that most peoples understanding of it is - as drewdad pointed out, as being akin to a serial killer.
0 Replies