gollum

Reply Wed 22 May, 2013 06:39 pm
Woman 1 marries Woman 2 and refers to Woman 2 as her wife. Does Woman 2 also refer to Woman 1 as her wife?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 1,269 • Replies: 18

Ragman

Reply Wed 22 May, 2013 06:50 pm
@gollum,
Yes, why not? That is what she is.
gollum

Reply Wed 22 May, 2013 06:54 pm
@Ragman,
OK, thank you.

I think with gay men, one guy may be called the wife and the other the husband. At least in non-marriages between gay men I've heard of analogous terms, some of which may not be permitted on this site.
engineer

Reply Wed 22 May, 2013 08:07 pm
@gollum,
Not an expert, but I don't think so. I think both men refer to their spouses as husbands.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 22 May, 2013 08:29 pm
@gollum,
I personally know 2 marriages of gay men. They call each other husbands in each case.
jespah

Reply Thu 23 May, 2013 06:22 am
@maxdancona,
Yep, and in the two lesbian marriages I know about, they both say wife.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 23 May, 2013 06:46 am
How dare they ? ! ? ! ? Who do they think they are ? ! ? ! ? They should ask other people what they are allowed to call one another. Sheesh!
PUNKEY

Reply Thu 23 May, 2013 02:26 pm
@Setanta,
Why not, "This is my spouse . . ."?

Saying wife or husband can put you in that gender/role trap.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 24 May, 2013 03:53 am
@PUNKEY,
No it doesn't. There's no gender/role trap at all, it only exists in the minds of those who are uncomfortable in the presence of people who are different.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 24 May, 2013 03:57 am
@izzythepush,
Interesting article a few days ago in the Grauniad about the ridiculous assumptions conservatives make about gay marriage/homosexuality in general.

Quote:
Proving yet again that people's prejudices invariably reveal far more about their own dark imagination than anything about the object they purport to fear, Norman Tebbit has raised the spectre of Britain being ruled by a lesbian queen should gay marriage be legalised. Now, depending on your cultural reference points, the phrase "lesbian queen" will bring to mind a dodgy calypso song you once heard on holiday, a giant yacht ploughing its way majestically through the Indian ocean, or Clare Balding. Honestly, I'd be fine having any of the above as the ruling figure of Great Britain. Seriously, who wouldn't rather be ruled by a calypso song than Prince Charles?

The past few days have offered extraordinary riches in nomenclature of non-existent demographics. First there were the "swivel-eyed loons", as possibly but definitely not coined by Andrew Feldman, who was recently made a peer for his fundraising and tennis-playing services to David Cameron.

Then on Monday, "aggressive homosexuals" were introduced by Tory MP Gerald Howarth, a man whose societal nous was proven 12 years ago when he appeared on Brass Eye's Paedogeddon episode, in which he warned about paedophiles who lure children by putting naked photos of themselves in public phoneboxes, and then proceeded to play the song Stay Away From Me "by the US chart toppers Smash My Brother's Face In".

This week Howarth warned that "the aggressive homosexual community" (it is possible that Howarth is confusing "homosexual" with "pitbull") sees same-sex marriage as "a stepping stone". A stepping stone to what? Howarth sadly was not allowed to elaborate. Gay wedding lists? Gay couples spending their Saturdays arguing in Ikea? I was living in New York when same-sex marriage was legalised there in July 2011 and, let me tell you, it became impossible for me even to go out to buy a coffee in a morning without being strong-armed by an aggressive homosexual trying to drag me to the nearest marriage venue. I had to go out and forage for food under the cover of darkness. Honestly, New York City these days? It is unrecognisable from how it was before July 2011. It's like 28 Days Later, but with aggressive homosexuals roaming up and down Fifth Avenue, knuckles dragging on the sidewalks.

It's always interesting to note the correlation between a person's fears that he will be ravaged by a sex-crazed homosexual, and their likely appeal to any homosexual at all. As a longterm fashion writer and fan of Erasure, I've spent many a night getting inebriated with gay men and, let me tell you, not even at 3am, stumbling out of G-A-Y on Old Compton Street drunk to the eyeballs, would any homosexual pose a threat to Gerald Howarth's honour.

And finally, Norman Tebbit and his "lesbian queen". Tebbit, who has clearly been spending much time thinking about the matter, said: "When we have a queen who is a lesbian and she marries another lady and then decides she would like to have a child and someone donates sperm and she gives birth to a child, is that child heir to the throne?" Seeing as the royal consorts to most queens have traditionally been little more than sperm donors, it's not entirely clear what Tebbit's beef is here. After all, the only difference between two royal queens with a sperm donor and the more traditional royal set-up is that the press would get to coo over two wedding dresses. And how is that a bad thing?

Incidentally, if "lesbian queens" isn't already taken as a 1970s punk group name, the swivel-eyed loon, the aggressive homosexual and the lesbian queen totally need to start up a band. I imagine them sitting on little stools, Westlife-style, before getting up and beating the crap out of one another. As a live experience, it would be hard to beat.

Anyway, after Tebbit, his eyes ever so gently lilting from side to side, pointed out the imminent lesbian queen issue, he moved on to another argument popular with those in high places who argue against the legalisation of gay marriage: the question of whether or not he can marry his son. "It would lift my worries about inheritance tax because maybe I'd be allowed to marry my son. Why not?"

Why not indeed? Aside from the small detail that this would be incest and Tebbit's son is possibly now legally emancipating himself from his parents in fear, this makes perfect sense. Although it is hard not to marvel how many people instantly raise the prospect of marrying their child when faced with the prospect of same-sex marriage being legalised. Jeremy Irons did this only last month and various American politicians have fantasised about the subject. Is this really the dark taboo that lurks in so many people's psyches? Do so many people want to marry their child? Talk about helicopter parenting.

As for those who gleefully warn about the prospect of people marrying their dog should same-sex marriage be legalised, I suspect 99.99% of the country would opt to marry their pet over Norman Tebbit. This might explain why some people are so fearful about letting animals and close relatives into the dating pool: it would make it that much harder for them to find someone to go to the movies with them on a Friday night.

One could make the point here that it's possibly time for certain members of the Tory party to join the 21st century before they manage to implode their party, but, really, I'd rather dream about a Britain ruled by a badass lesbian queen, with kd lang and Melissa Etheridge singing at her coronation. That calypso song would rock the afterparty.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/may/21/swivel-eyed-loons-lesbian-queens?INTCMP=SRCH
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 24 May, 2013 05:16 am
@PUNKEY,
Are you married Punkey?
PUNKEY

Reply Fri 24 May, 2013 06:35 am
@maxdancona,
I was: 13 years first time, single for 4, then 25 with another, widow for 4 years. 4 children, 5 grandchildren.

I now have a lover/friend but probably wont marry again. Who knows?

I never liked being called "the wife".
maxdancona

Reply Fri 24 May, 2013 06:39 am
@PUNKEY,
And what did you call the person you were married to when you were introducing him?

When I was married, I would certainly say "This is my wife Debby", or "My wife is at the dry cleaners".

In turn, my wife would refer to me as "that worthless idiot", but that is another story.

ehBeth

Reply Fri 24 May, 2013 06:44 am
@gollum,
My experience with friends is that it is an individual couple's choice. The majority of the female same-sex couples I know refer to each other as wives. There are two couples who prefer the husband/wife language. There are one or two that use the gender-neutral spouse option. One couple still uses the term that was popular in the early 1980's (in a particular local neighbourhood) : co-vivant.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 24 May, 2013 06:47 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
When I was married, I would certainly say "This is my wife Debby", or "My wife is at the dry cleaners".

that's interesting. As I think about it I realize that I generally don't hear husband/wife/spouse language used in my co-worker group. They simply use the person's name. This is Alvin. Gary is at the dry cleaners. Steve took Ann to baseball practice.

I wonder if that is a regional thing.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 24 May, 2013 06:48 am
@ehBeth,
Co-vivant? Really.

That means roommate, right? That's the least romantic thing I have ever heard.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 24 May, 2013 06:57 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
I wonder if that is a regional thing.

I live in Cambridge, MA. I am thinking back of recent conversations. I am quite sure my married co-workers refer to their spouses as "my wife". This is useful at work because I don't remember their names.

With people in my group of friends, where I know both spouses, I think people generally use the first name. And I am pretty sure that people introduce their wives as "my wife Debby".

I am going to start paying attention now.

ehBeth

Reply Fri 24 May, 2013 07:01 am
@maxdancona,
co-vivant was very popular in the 1980's particularly in what we'd now call the hipster crowd

some of the folks from that generation still use the term

it's more romantic than room-mate
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 24 May, 2013 07:02 am
@maxdancona,
Listen to the women as well. How do they refer to their husbands/partners in conversation?
0 Replies