What would the World be like if JESUS had never been Born?

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 11:04 am
What would the World be like if JESUS had never been Born?

Your thoughts on this topic would be greatly appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 47,969 • Replies: 694
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 11:33 am
My most immediate response would be that the world's population would be considerably larger . . . however, since it is not demonstrable that such an individual was ever born, that would be rushing to judgment. Jesus is a corruption of the Greek version of Joshua--hmm, how many Joshua's in Palestine 2000 years ago?
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 02:06 pm
If Jesus had never been born, it would have been necessary to make him up.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 02:10 pm
Bravo . . .
0 Replies

Tommy

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 02:15 pm
No Santa Claus - Praying 5 times a day - no pork chops done in breadcrumbs and herbes de provence - NO BOOZE.
Don't even think things like that!!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 02:17 pm
Don't forget the burnooses and the turbans, i'd roast alive in those things . . . i just don't do hats . . .
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 02:24 pm
Roses are reddish,
Violets are bluish,
If it weren't for Christmas,
We'd all be Jewish!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 02:29 pm
and all this time i thought jesus was jewish, silly me
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 02:39 pm
Christianity became a global religion first and foremost by means of spreading in the Roman Empire. Prior to Christianity two foreign religions gained popularity there: Judaism and cult of the Persian god Mitra (I use capital letter in the word "God" only when I refer to the true God, i.e. to the Father, Son and Holy Spirit). So, if the Creator did not decide to give us the Savior, majority of the modern Christians would be either Jews or Mitraists.
But there is one more consideration. Pagans (and Mitraists are definitely idolaters) can be easily converted to the monotheistic religions, unlike people belonging to some other monotheistic system; therefore, with appearance of Islam in the 7th century AD, and taking into consideration its aggressive style of "marketing", it is likely that absolute majority of the earthlings would be Muslims. Thanks God, this did not happen...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 02:41 pm
It is ironic that you mention that Steissd, because the early "legal" Christians took a good deal of their ethos from the previously popular Mithraic cult--militarism, aseticisim and segregation by gender are those which spring most quickly to mind . . .
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 02:43 pm
Dyslexia, if Jesus Christ was just a regular man, He definitely would be a Jew. But He was not the one, therefore He has no ethnic affiliation. Virgin Mary was Jewish, Jesus Christ does not belong to any particular ethnos, He belongs to all the mankind.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 02:57 pm
Tommy, Jews do not pray five times a day, the observant ones have three daily prayers. Five times a day refers to Islam.
And majority of Jews (at least in Israel) are secular, and they pray only during festivals (like Passover or Atonement Day) or on special events (death of a family member, for example).
About pork chops: many Israelis of European origin neglect dietary restrictions of Judaism and eat whatever they like, including pork, seafood, etc.
No booze is also an Islamic feature. Some of the rites of the Jewish religion imply consumption of wine (with special blessing to God that has created everything including the grape vine). Jews, in general, drink much less than Frenchmen or Eskimos, but alcohol is not prohibited to them.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 02:58 pm
The world would be no different from it is today. There would have been another cult created called religion. Religion is the opiate of the masses. And it would appear that we are not satisfied without it.
I believe all religions have been conjured up by the fertile mind of man..
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 03:03 pm
au1929 wrote:
Religion is the opiate of the masses.

As a former Soviet citizen, I remember that this quotation belongs to one of the founders of Marxism, namely to Friedrich Engels. Are you a Communist, Au1929?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 03:03 pm
Steissd, Tommy was intimating that we would all be muslims in the imagined case . . . i do believe he was indulging an old Irish penchant for wry humor, even in the bleakest of circumstances . . .
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 03:07 pm
and all this time i thought opium was the opiate of the masses, silly me
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 03:20 pm
steissd
That is a pretty rediculous question don't you think? One doesn't have to be a communist to believe that all religions are man made and they were designed to keep the masses under control. I personally believe that religion is the most divisive concept ever to come out of the mind of man. One need only look at history to see all of the wars, massacres and, etc., perpetrated in the name of that thing called religion.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 03:25 pm
Dyslexia: heeeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheehee . . .

Au1929: I have a pet theory about how shamans became priests and priestesses, and created temple societies to organize tribal labor and resources, but i won't elaborate here. When younger, i used to say that the two greatest disasters in western history were the advent of christianity, with the arrival of the Germans close upon the heels of the first horror . . . i've revised my opinions, and fine-tuned them, so i don't really care to hear lectures from christians and Germans on this topic, thank you.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 03:31 pm
Well, I think as well: if Jesus wasn't born, there would have another founder of a a cult/religion later.

Opposite to what is said above, I believe, Muslim was a kind of reaction to christianity.

"Opiate for masses" (in German: Opium fürs Volk) is mostly said to have Marx as creator. Marx, however, got it from the German writer Heinrich Heine, who, on the other site, read a similar sentence in an essay of Ludwig Börne.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 03:36 pm
Dyslexia:
I am neither German nor Christian
0 Replies