What would the World be like if JESUS had never been Born?

au1929

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 04:58 pm
Phoenix
Thanks for the link. It is of particular significance for me.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 04:59 pm
Leonard Cohen sang?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 05:03 pm
"I can't believe we bought this nonsense, hundreds of miles over snow-bound mountains and burning deserts, and for what? To root around in smelly barns in a nowhere burg in Palestine ? ! ? ! ? I hadda be nuts to listen to you, Balthazar."

"But, the starts . . . the stars never lie . . . "

"I'm with you Melchior, I just can't believe we bought some cock-and-bull story about a virgin Jewish girl giving birth to the savior of the world . . . remind me about this the next time the Quiz Kid here comes up with one of his brilliant schemes . . . "

"But guys, the stars . . . who knew?"
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 05:05 pm
leonard cohen:
Why don't you come on back to the war, don't be a tourist,
why don't you come on back to the war, before it hurts us,
why don't you come on back to the war, let's all get nervous
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 06:06 pm
Well of course I knew he wrote poetry, I just didn't think the sounds he made with his vocal chords qualified as singing.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 06:42 pm
leonard cohen:
And Jesus was a sailor
When he walked upon the water
And he spent a long time watching
From his lonely wooden tower
And when he knew for certain
Only drowning men could see him
He said "All men will be sailors then
Until the sea shall free them"
But he himself was broken
Long before the sky would open
Forsaken, almost human
He sank beneath your wisdom like a stone
0 Replies

Bibliophile the BibleGuru

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 06:31 am
What would the World be like if JESUS had never been Born?

Firstly, the birth, life, death, burial and resurrection of Christ are all well established Historical Facts with endless books and volumes having been compiled by various non-Christian, hypercritical and secular scholars, emperors, monarchs, militarists and general writers, testifying to these events.

The History of Palestine, Europe, North America and South America, Northern Africa, and Australasia have ALL been affected by the life and death of Jesus Christ; some of it was bloody and murderous, and certainly not what Jesus ever taught.

My question is, of course, hypothetical diatribe, but our History as we know it has been profoundly affected and steered by the teachings of Jesus Christ.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 07:16 am
Bibliophile the BibleGuru wrote:
Firstly, the birth, life, death, burial and resurrection of Christ are all well established Historical Facts with endless books and volumes having been compiled by various non-Christian, hypercritical and secular scholars, emperors, monarchs, militarists and general writers, testifying to these events . . .

My question is, of course, hypothetical diatribe, but our History as we know it has been profoundly affected and steered by the teachings of Jesus Christ.

I can't buy that first paragraph at all. You need to provide sources for eggregious perversions of historical truth such as that. The closest i've ever known "christian scholars" to come to this is to cite Tacitus, who, in fact, simply mentions the sect, without affirming that such an individual ever existed; and citations of Josephus by the completely unreliable, and scurrilous "historian" Eusebius--and Eusebius is the only person ever to have seen a fragment of Josephus which asserts that this particular Joshua ever existed. "Emperors, monarchs, militarists and general writers?" What makes such individuals reliable historical witnesses? Again, without citations which can be checked, this is not much more than contentious historical nonsense.

As for the second paragraph quoted above, history has been profoundly affected by the contentions of those who claimed this Joshua to have existed, and claimed to have the straight skinny on his "teachings." In the first century, there were known to have been at a minimum, 13 "gospels"--what happened to the other nine? They fell victim to the agendae of christian leaders, who, like religious leaders throughout history, alter both the dogma of the religion in question, as well as the historical record, to support their power plays. As it is by no means certain that such an individual ever existed, and no records contemporary to the events purported in the "gospels" exist, any assertion on your part that "Jesus" teachings have profoundly affected history are chimerical.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 07:27 am
Bibliophile - I think, even if we accept the birth and death, that I would defy you to prove the resurrection was a "historical fact"!

The influence of institutional christianity has been huge, I grant you...
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 08:41 am
Setanta
Ditto.
The story is in my opinion a myth as are all of the biblical writings. They were handed down from mouth to mouth becoming more wonderous with each telling.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 09:02 am
Setanta is entirely correct.

One has to make a distinction between the spiritual reality and the historical record.

It makes just as much sense for the believer to attempt to 'prove' the historical validity of the Jesus story, as it does for the disinterested objective Historian to attempt to 'prove' the Christian is deluded in his or her faith.

Facts become myths become belief systems become religions. Its a bit like the concept of entropy in that it points the direction of the time arrow. The reverse is not true, myths do not become facts.
0 Replies

Bibliophile the BibleGuru

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 09:24 am
Setanta:

You asked the following question, which is a good one:

"What makes such individuals reliable historical witnesses?"

Not knowing what your preferred, personal criteria is for the definition of "reliable historical witnesses," I would be interested to read such criterion, and then we can proceed from that basis to address your question.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 10:43 am
Show us the cites, Bib!

For reliability, why don't we start at least with contemporaries? That means, for one, Luke is out - wasn't that gospel written some 90 or so years after the events in question?

I don't know about other reliability factors - let the rest of the thread participants decide - but I think having been there should be at least considered for a reliability criterion.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 10:54 am
It's always difficult to discuss history, since history is subjective itself. Our view of the past keeps changing, too, but nevertheless, the known past is indefinately smaller than the actual past.

There are, thanks God, however some professional 'rules' for historians, commonly known as "historical methods".
And following strictly this scientific approach, it's really difficult to get the biblican stories out of the 'myth character'.
As said above, history is not static, and our views of history are constantly changing as new discoveries are made that cast doubt on previous knowledge: e.g. before 1900, the Trojan War was considered entirely a myth, and Charlemagne would have been a wise, nice man, if we hadn't found some more sources than Einhard's biography.

Well, just thinking loud ...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 11:12 am
When examining historical accounts, one must ask if the witness has an interest in how posterity will view both "the historical record" and him/herself; one must ask what was the proximity of the witness was to the persons/events in question; one must ask what the ability of the witness in question was to comprehend the persons/events in question; finally, one must also take care to make as dispassionate a decision as possible about the source of the witness's information--did s/he physically witness the person/events, or obtain the information at second hand, or read contemporary accounts? These questions often become "nested" on the basis of this last criterion, unless the individual concerned claims to have been an eye-witness, in which case, one is usually only concerned with the first criterion.

Therefore, we can take Eusebius as an example. Eusebius was agressively christian, and sought to promote this belief as the one, true religion. This is self-evident in his writings. He could not claim to have known this particular Joshua of Nazareth, so he relies upon a contention that he has read confirmation of that person's existence, AS the messiah, in the history prepared by Josephus. The first criterion is covered in a description of Eusebius as an historian--he had an interest in promoting the religion which he professed. This makes him a suspect witness. His writing is somewhat vainglorious, in that he touts his own piety--this may or may not make him suspect as a witness, but on the whole, it is another note of caution in accepting what he has written. By citing Josephus, these questions are transferred to him as a source. It is rather clever of Eusebius to have used Josephus as his authority (more on that later). On the first issue, Josephus--never claiming to be and never claimed to have been either a christian, nor an enemy of christianity (not a force of any description in his lifetime, and therefore no threat, either politically or religiously)--qualifies as a disinterested witness, for as much as anyone can ever be. Josephus was writing a history of the Jews to take that record up to the time of the destruction of the Temple, and for a short period thereafter. So, with regards to the second question, Josephus had a reasonal proximity to the person and the events in question. Josephus was in Palestine at the time that Titus destroyed the Jewish rebels, and therefore was personally reasonably reliable as source of information. In short, Josephus would be a reliable canditate for a witness on this topic--if we can accept that he did indeed write what Eusebius claims that he wrote. And now we have reached the crux of the biscuit.

Eusebius is already doubtful on the first issue of his disinterestedness--he is obviously NOT disinterested. On the second issue, he has some credibility as having lived within a few centuries of the probable date of the production of Josephus' text, although it is worth noting at this point that no other source contemporary to either Josephus or Eusebius takes note of any contention on the part of Josephus that this Joshua of Nazareth did in fact exist, AND was the messiah; furthermore, no such fragment of Josephus has since been discovered. I would not question the ability of Eusebius to comprehend what Josephus wrote, for whatever other faults--largely partisan--he has as an historian. Since the source of Eusebius' contention is Josephus, this is precisely the "nested" variety of historigraphic analysis to which i referred earlier. When Constantine made christianity the state religion of the Roman Empire, he did so at the urging of his wife and his mother-in-law (Rolling Eyes)--he did not do so to the exclusion of other religious practices in the empire, the Romans were noteworthy for their religious tolerance. He also promulgated his new policy after literally decades of nagging by his wife and mother-in-law, and Eusebius is the only source for the contention that Constantine was himself a christian, AND Eusebius is contradicted on this point by other historians contemporary to the event--more reason to doubt Eusebius.

I've gone on too long here as it is, and may need to clarify what i've written later--but i would like to state, for this forum's record, that i have no good reason to believe that Joshua of Nazareth the Messiah ever existed. I also have no good reason to deny that such an individual existed. I have very good reason not to rely on Eusebius as an historical witness, and i have read Tacitus exhaustively--nowhere in The History of Imperial Rome nor in The Annals of Imperial Rome does Tacitus assert that Joshuah of Nazareth the Messiah ever existed, he simply notes the existence of a cult based upon the alleged teachings of such an individual. This hasn't prevented christians from asserting that Tacitus is a source for the existence of this Joshua. Steven has written: "One has to make a distinction between the spiritual reality and the historical record." Very adroitly put, he has gone directly to the heart of this issue. The historical record is, in fact, mute on this subject, with the single exception of the thoroughly suspect testimony of Eusebius. You have mentioned Emperors and Monarchs--i think it not unfair to say that such a contention ought to be supported with verifiable citations. I know of no such information coming from Octavian (Augustus), Tiberius, Gaius (Caligula), Claudius or Brittanicus (Nero)--the only emperors who meet the criterion for proximity, either in time or space. I do not wish to have what i write accepted as a statement from authority--i have read and re-read Roman history and literature for 45 years, since, as a child, i first began a life-long obsession. I would only concede such a point on the basis of a reliably verifiable citation--so, i do not deny, nor do i accept the contention of the existence of Joshua the Messiah. Steve's point about spiritual reality is important, in that much may be explained on this basis, without reference to historigraphically sound sources. It matters not, really, whether such an individual ever existed. What matters most, is that some believe and have believed that to be the case, and based upon the religious flavor-of-the-month, have acted accordingly. None of what i write here is meant to belittle you, or the beliefs that you hold. As a life-long, convinced and dedicated Irish-American, raised by immigrant grandparents, i also lay claim to an inherent and facetious irreverance on just about any subject--so i hope that you will understand that i entertained myself in this thread for entertainment's sake alone, and not as a slur against you, nor a condemnation of beliefs anyone sincerely holds. I would like to state for this forum's record that i trust religious leaders about as far as i can throw a bull moose.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 11:50 am
Just as long as you're happy and believe in something, Boss, then we'll quit worrying about you.

This whole religious "cantata" creates an interesting controversy. In the end no one can be convinced of anything, but meanwhile all of us are convinced we know... something.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 12:07 pm
Piffka
What good has the belief in religion ever done for mankind.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 01:19 pm
I said believe in something.... that doesn't mean some religion. Perhaps some of us believe in ourselves.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 02:26 pm
I believe i'll go back to sleep . . .

seeyahbye
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 09:51 am
Setanta

Thanks for sharing your expertise! That's what A2K is all about isn't it?

One of my favourite sayings is from Carl Sagan (I think): "Always keep an open mind but not so open that your brains fall out"

May your facetiousness and irreverence grow inversely with your moose flinging ability

:wink:
0 Replies