Why I am an athiest

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 06:05 pm
I refuse to give god credit for **** i have accomplished and for the **** i will accomplish. growing up everyone tells you to believe there is this higher power this "God" these "Angels" that are looking out for you and for a while i tried to force myself to believe, but where was "God" when my father died and my mother had to raise two kids on her own with only help from welfare and credit cards, i didnt see god feed me, i dont see god taking away the debt my mother owes because of this. i didnt see these angels comfort my mom when she was all alone crying. People response to this is always "well god cant save everyone death is apart of life" which i will completely agree with my father smoked cigarettes for most of his life so maybe it was just unfortunate he got lung cancer but where the **** was god in Boston this past week? Innocent people who did nothing to die were killed. Where were these angels on 9/11 the list goes on, innocent people die every single day by the hand of someone else. If they were really watching why do these horrible things happen? Why do people stop believing in santa claus? You cant see him he never appears but he brings joy to children every year. Well eventually you grow up and figure out its not real gifts dont just appear. so why do people believe that because they survived a car crash or because they succeed in life that its gods work? Why not give yourself some damn credit. Just voicing my opinion. If you do believe in god and jesus more power to you, if it makes you a happier and better person because you pray every night continue that because being happy is the goal, but if you are like me and have to force yourself to believe this just to fit in with your family and friends. Stop just let go and believe in yourself.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 17 • Views: 23,132 • Replies: 596

ossobuco

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 06:40 pm
@Ocg3mvpo,
Please don't just rant.
Ocg3mvpo

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 06:41 pm
@ossobuco,
Why not? Can you answer these questions? Im just curious
rosborne979

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 07:05 pm
@Ocg3mvpo,
There are lots of good reasons not to believe in "God", but anger isn't one of them.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 07:09 pm
@Ocg3mvpo,
There must be twenty or thirty threads about this. Why not read some of them before doing this thread?
Ocg3mvpo

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 07:27 pm
@rosborne979,
Im not angry. My fathers been dead 15 years it was just an example my anger has came and past. Like i said i dont believe in god therefore im not angry at something i dont believe in im just curious i wanna see someone answer these questions. Why believe in something that is so fictional
Ocg3mvpo

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 07:29 pm
@edgarblythe,
Okay and there are thousands about god in general why not just read those instead of post your own? Because you want your own opinion voiced right? If everyone just read and didnt post well there wouldnt be threads at all would there?
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 07:41 pm
@Ocg3mvpo,
Quote:
i dont believe in im just curious i wanna see someone answer these questions.

Since you have made up your mind about the non-existence of God, there really is no reason for any believer to answer your questions (especially considering the level of anger evident in your post.) And since non-believers will not see a reason to respond other than to agree with you about your non-belief, I don't think we see the reason for your post.

Anyway, there are indeed other threads that may answer your question about why God lets something happen. You are free to look for them. Or maybe tone done your anger and ask your question in a more reasonable fashion. Because from the tone of your post, you are simply out for a fight.
Ocg3mvpo

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 08:02 pm
@CoastalRat,
Im not out for a fight. i wanna see someone answer my question not anyone else's. if there was a clear cut answer you would answer me right now instead of saying ask nicely and maybe someone would answer.. Dont give me that bs im not angry at all im actually quite calm. Im very competitive i dont like to be talked to like im wrong for believing a certain thing. I never said you or anyone else is wrong for believing in god in fact i encourage it as you saw in the post. Probably didnt even read that far.
0 Replies

Ocg3mvpo

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 08:12 pm
@CoastalRat,
The reason for my post 50 percent to get an answer the other 50 to voice my own opinion read the past comments first.. Why do you post? Im gonna guess because you wanna voice your opinion. Think before you say some stuff or even better just read the comments above yours which clearly state 1. Im not angry at all 2. The reasoning for my post. Boom that eliminates 2 k
Of the things stated in your comment
fresco

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2013 01:00 am
@Ocg3mvpo,
Your problem is that you don't understand the social and psychological forces that make large numbers of humans believe in "gods", or indeed make you want to unilaterally mouth off about it. Understanding comes from self examination and that requires a vantage point which some of us have discussed for several years. Do a bit of research. You may learn something.
contrex

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2013 03:53 am
I wish more of the people who bang on about atheism would learn to spell the damn word.
Setanta

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2013 03:57 am
I believe i'll go make a sammich.
rosborne979

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2013 04:24 am
@Ocg3mvpo,
Ocg3mvpo wrote:
Why believe in something that is so fictional

I'm not sure that question can be answered directly.

People who believe in God don't think it's fictional, so they won't be able to answer. And people who think God is fictional won't be able to answer directly because they not believers.

Since I'm not a believer, all I can really do is guess, but I'm sure there are lots of reasons for people to believe what they want, not the least of which is "brainwashing" from their youth (because I suspect that a VERY high percentage of believers, just happen to believe in the God they were exposed to by their family and friends, even though there are thousands of god concepts that they could have chosen).
Ocg3mvpo

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2013 05:35 am
@contrex,
Never once did i even use the word atheism..
contrex

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2013 05:54 am
@Ocg3mvpo,
Ocg3mvpo wrote:

Never once did i even use the word atheism..

You titled this thread "Why I am an athiest", and somebody added the tag "Athiesm".
Ocg3mvpo

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2013 08:57 am
@contrex,
Ahhhh I see now, well they must not be the sharpest tool.
Ocg3mvpo

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2013 08:59 am
@rosborne979,
I can agree with that. I still feel as if some people dedicate their lives to this "higher power" in fear that if they dont they will be punished. It just seems silly to me, but hey who am I
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2013 09:00 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I believe i'll go make a sammich.

Seconded!
Ocg3mvpo

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2013 09:05 am
@fresco,
No you're right I don't and I never will. But let me ask you this do you wake up each morning and honestly deep down inside believe that god or jesus woke you? You mentioned me unilaterally mouthing off well nows your chance. I have my reasons for not believing, and in my POV those reasons are very valid. So lets hear your reasons for believing I just cant imagine there is one, besides faith thats all you can go off of. And in my opinion that just isnt enough