Why I am an athiest

igm

Reply Sun 19 May, 2013 12:50 pm
@Olivier5,
I think we agree but to move forward from here I believe isn't possible because of your need to postulate... so I'll leave it there... Smile
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 19 May, 2013 12:56 pm
@igm,
All I know is that the universe continues to expand. Those are "issues" that humans can't control or observe, so we're left with "our" universe and what we deem as "real."

It's real to me that I have lived on this planet for over 77 years. That's my "duration" and reality.

That humans are able to record history is another advantage we homo sapiens enjoy. We can learn about periods before our lives. How accurate they are depends on one's subjective perspective.

0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sun 19 May, 2013 01:07 pm
@igm,
Quote:
@Olivier5,
I think we agree but to move forward from here I believe isn't possible because of your need to postulate... so I'll leave it there...

So you believe in something totally unproven...

On the contrary, we cannot talk about anything unless we agree what that is.

Take it as an hypothesis. What if there was such a thing as time (or duration)? You don't need to believe in it like to a god. Nor to a grand metaphysical idea, nor as a statement about the essence of time, just as a statement establishing a concept, and allowing us to then use the term "duration" in our conversation.
igm

Reply Sun 19 May, 2013 02:02 pm
@Olivier5,
It's a paradox... we can't discuss a paradox... and I've examined the issues we are likely to discuss if we allow the notion of duration... it leads IMHO to a dead end... in the end... live life embracing the paradox... I guess that's what meditation helps with... or maybe it doesn't...
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 19 May, 2013 02:24 pm
@igm,
Meditation helps those who seek it - for whatever purpose they feel is appropriate.
Olivier5

Reply Sun 19 May, 2013 02:31 pm
@igm,
Quote:
@Olivier5,
It's a paradox... we can't discuss a paradox... and I've examined the issues we are likely to discuss if we allow the notion of duration... it leads IMHO to a dead end... in the end... live life embracing the paradox... I guess that's what meditation helps with... or maybe it doesn't...

So what can we discuss?
igm

Reply Sun 19 May, 2013 02:50 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

So what can we discuss?

If you're an atheist... why? If you're not... why not?
igm

Reply Sun 19 May, 2013 02:57 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Ok... I'll bet if you had to choose though you'd rather do some travelling... each to his own Wink
Olivier5

Reply Sun 19 May, 2013 03:10 pm
@igm,
Quote:
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

So what can we discuss?

If you're an atheist... why? If you're not... why not?

The question was: "WHAT can we discuss?", not why.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 19 May, 2013 03:25 pm
@igm,
I'll be doing six trips (so far) this year. Been to Cuba, Hawaii, Portugal, and I have three more planned for this year.

I decide what to do with my life in retirement, and I enjoy world travel (free will). That's also my "reality." I get to meet many people, visit interesting places on this planet, and learn about their history, culture, food, drink, and lifestyles. They're all "real" to me! As long as my health holds up....

I'm also very lucky. My nephew lives in Waikiki, and owns a condo on the 40th floor with good views, and we can stay there for "free." My sister, her husband, and I are planning to go later this year - during the winter months.

What's not to like and appreciate in this world of ours?
igm

Reply Sun 19 May, 2013 03:32 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I'm really happy for you... keep posting the pics... hope your health keeps up... like I said each to his own.
0 Replies

igm

Reply Sun 19 May, 2013 03:33 pm
@Olivier5,
Touché...
Olivier5

Reply Sun 19 May, 2013 05:06 pm
@igm,
I always do. Very Happy
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sun 19 May, 2013 05:50 pm
@igm,
igm wrote:

To me it's important not to hold mistaken views about the true nature of reality if at all possible and if one has to, then they should be a subtle as possible. It’s a way of life for me; presumably from your comment it is only a hobby for you.
If you want to share your anecdote please do.

Maybe hobby isn't quite the best word. It can connote frivolity sometimes. It's a self-experiment that I'm pursuing.

As for my anecdote, it would be pretty simple. Since I started doing this a few years ago, I seem to be much less internally conflicted and less affected by external conflicts when they arise. Nothing exciting, but rewarding enough.
Olivier5

Reply Mon 20 May, 2013 05:14 am
@FBM,
Quote:
Maybe hobby isn't quite the best word. It can connote frivolity sometimes. It's a self-experiment that I'm pursuing.

I think hobby is the right word. Your philosophy has no practical consequences outside of your boudoir. Did you ever do anything differently as a result of your brand of Pyrrhonism?
FBM

Reply Mon 20 May, 2013 05:21 am
@Olivier5,
I doubt it. Wink
Olivier5

Reply Mon 20 May, 2013 05:30 am
@FBM,
Don't call Pyrrhonism practical then; rather, it's highly theoretial and of no practical use.
FBM

Reply Mon 20 May, 2013 05:34 am
@Olivier5,
English isn't your native language, is it? I don't mean that as an insult. I just have the feeling that you lack a native speaker's intuition about some of the connotations of certain vocabulary.
igm

Reply Mon 20 May, 2013 06:55 am
@FBM,
Yes, I've had a similar experience with the alternative I mentioned and other experiences (because from a relative conventional truth perspective my practice has different causes and conditions... naturally).
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 20 May, 2013 07:14 am
@FBM,
Quote:
English isn't your native language, is it? I don't mean that as an insult. I just have the feeling that you lack a native speaker's intuition about some of the connotations of certain vocabulary.

My spelling is poor but my vocabulary is strong. I do understand what you are saying, including most connotations, I would imagine. For instance, I am aware that "hobby" connotes something a bit futile and of not real significance, which is exactly what your philosophy strikes me as being.
0 Replies