Why I am an athiest

Ocg3mvpo

Reply Sat 4 May, 2013 03:26 pm
@contrex,
And you believe in a god that magically makes all your problems disappear when you die... Lol yea im the dumb one. may as well believe in magic and unicorns and dragons. Lets throw in the tooth fairy too ya twat.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 4 May, 2013 04:41 pm
@Ocg3mvpo,
Whether thanks to God or not, don't all of your problems disaapear when you die?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 4 May, 2013 06:05 pm
Don't waste your energy on being angry about a belief or non-belief in a god.

Also, I believe it's okay to have a rant once-in-awhile to release the "tension."

Very Happy smile, and be positive. What's past is past; can't do anything about that!
0 Replies

nordehacedod

Reply Sat 4 May, 2013 06:14 pm
@Ocg3mvpo,
Ocg3mvpo,

I too am an atheist. But from what I have learned god doesn't necessarily have an active hand in today's life; he gave us free will and we choose what to do with it, god may not have let those people die in Boston, but gave us the ability to kill them. Again, I'm an atheist just trying to give a different POV on your post.
Setanta

Reply Sat 4 May, 2013 07:43 pm
@nordehacedod,
You claim to be an atheist, and yet you speak of god as though god were a real entity with agency in the physical universe. You must have a fairly unique definition of atheist.
FBM

Reply Sat 4 May, 2013 08:45 pm
@Setanta,
Sounds something like deism. Deists, according to Wiki, are often considered to be atheists by traditionalist theists.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 4 May, 2013 08:54 pm
In my book a real atheist does not need a reason to be one. Speaking only for me, I always have been an atheist even before I realized there could be any reasons for it.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 4 May, 2013 09:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
Me too! Didn't know there was even a name for non-believers. Mr. Green
FBM

Reply Sat 4 May, 2013 09:20 pm
@cicerone imposter,
"Unindoctrinated." Wink
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 4 May, 2013 09:31 pm
@FBM,
Too long! I would never remember a word like that. LOL
FBM

Reply Sat 4 May, 2013 10:40 pm
@cicerone imposter,
How about "normal"?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 02:29 am
@FBM,
Don't forget the Unitarians . . . everybody knows they're just a bunch of goddamned atheists.
FBM

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 04:43 am
@Setanta,
They're "atheist lite."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 04:46 am
Yeah . . . they'll think "light" when SATAN lights a fire under their sorry asses . . .
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 04:53 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:

There are lots of good reasons not to believe in "God", but anger isn't one of them

Anger can be a good start for a kid. Im sure that deeper analytically based atheism requires more thought so, while we wait for the reason to kock in, why not anger?.
At leats it exposes the bullshit and claims of "personal gods".
rosborne979

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 05:09 am
@farmerman,
I'm not sure Atheism built on anger is really atheism at all. It depends on what you are angry at. But if you are angry at "God" or the concept of God, then you are almost certainly not an atheist, by virtue of the focus of your anger.
Setanta

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 05:23 am
@rosborne979,
Good point. I was angry at the church from the time i was a small boy. But i "became" an atheist when i just stopped caring, and stopped believing.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 05:37 am
According to some things I've read, it's a common misconception among theists that atheists are mad at god. How can you be mad at something you don't even think exists? I've never been mad at a unicorn or Ba'al or Quetzalcoatl.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 05:49 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

I'm not sure Atheism built on anger is really atheism at all. It depends on what you are angry at. But if you are angry at "God" or the concept of God, then you are almost certainly not an atheist, by virtue of the focus of your anger.

It sounds like he is angry at God for not "existing", the evidence of which being that his life isn't like he wants, which doesn't really equate to atheism at all.

fresco

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 06:20 am
@contrex,
Seems to me that nitpicking Setanta's statements is futile. He is undoubtedly "an atheist" according to his posting record on this forum, whether he wishes to engage in existential analysis of the word "God" or not. In that respect, as an atheist myself, I can declare that "God exists" for believers in so far that usage of the term "God" affects their thinking and behavior, but not mine. As far I am concerned that is all that we can say about "existence" of anything.