Abortion--soley her body/choice, but not responsibility

Ceili

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 01:40 am
McG Firstly, I would like to point out that I was addressing Realitywhateverhisnameis. I was not meant as a general statement but in retort to his original post.

I absolutly think women should take control of birth control. I think men should be as equally vigilant. To me, protection is not a sexist issue but a strong belief in having safe, healthy sex. If you use a condom and it breaks, you could get pregnant. If you use a condom and spermacide, iud, sponge, pill and the condom breaks you have a very slim chance of getting pregnant but you can still get and STD. So, I think the best idea before anyone has sex is to talk, about all kinds of stuff and set boundries. However, I'm speaking from a position of 20/20 hindsight and it ain't a perfect world.
If you end up pregnant and you decide to keep the child, then the child shouldn't be punished for being and accident, wanted or otherwise.
Raising a child/ren is easy or cheap. I dispise the idea of dead beat parents. I know they exist but they are fools.
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 06:59 am
I would like to encourage anyone arguing about this to instead spend their time and energy helping out kids who don't have parents... all the orphans who could use a big brother or big sister, or a foster home.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 02:10 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
I took it, not as an example of a comparable situation on the whole, but of a very good example of how financial liability does not mean one should have the right to choose someone else's medical options.

You are correct. I devised the hypothetical directly in response to roverroad's claim that it's not fair for the woman to make the decision and expect the man to pay for it. As it happens, this type of situation happens all the time, and we typically don't have a problem with it (and, by the way, McG, if I had made Pedestrian 50 percent responsible for her injuries, the hypothetical would not have changed at all).

In my scenario, Pedestrian chooses and Driver pays. If that's fair, why is it unfair when Mother chooses and Father pays?
0 Replies