Abortion--soley her body/choice, but not responsibility

roverroad

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 04:47 am
dlowan wrote:
Also, this is not something that someone can just throw away. There are huge emotional impacts to giving birth and surrendering a child. Surrendering lega parental rights? Huh! Ain't that simple. And what about the child? How might a child feel about such a thing? Well, I know how they feel - but more commonly it is the dad who has just disappeared.

Well who cares about the child? If I don't want to be a father than that's my right. I could care less about some kids feelings that was born against my wishes. If there had been an abortion it wouldn't be a problem would it?
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 04:49 am
that's great thinking rove...maybe all men should have vasectomies...you can leave a deposit at a sperm bank for future children if someone will marry you..:-)
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 04:51 am
That would solve a lot of problems.

Unfortunately, I have a problem with vasectomies. I see it as mutilation. (I also see tubal ligation as mutilation as well.) And while I should probably get one, I won't.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 04:58 am
willow_tl wrote:
that's great thinking rove...maybe all men should have vasectomies...you can leave a deposit at a sperm bank for future children if someone will marry you..:-)

I have no problem with a vasectomy, but not a forced one. That would be a forced medical procedure and I'm against that.

Keep in mind, this is all hypothetical, one man's opinion. I don't even have kids but If it did happen I'd step up to the plate and be a father. Those are just my opinions about the topic in general. Men should have more rights in this matter! We should be able to have some legal protection in choosing not to be a father. No man is going to give up sex to prevent being a father. That's not realistic.

My shift is over. I'll continue this tomorrow...
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 05:01 am
An abortion is a medical procedure as well rove..what's good for the goose is good for the gander my friend. And i am glad you would "step up to the plate" but it is still the females decision whether she wants to carry that fetus to term...:-)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 05:02 am
Have I gone nuts, or are there TWO of these threads? One really short?
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 05:03 am
wow deja vu bunny!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 05:06 am
roverroad wrote:
dlowan wrote:
I guess guys who feel so strongly re these things should be EXTREMELY sure re contraception every time they have sex, eh?

That actually goes both ways! If a woman is afraid that she is going to have to carry it to term than she shouldn't have sex.

If the man can't have a say over the pregnancy part than he should definitely have a say over the fatherhood and financial portion of it. There should be a legal procedure where if the woman refuses an abortion at the mans request he should be absolved of all child support in the future. If she wants it so bad she can pay for it.

LOL! Of course, everyone should be very careful - thing is, the whole premise of the thread is that men have no choice, and women do, re termination or not. If you fellas do not like the fact that we DO have some choice - be VERY careful - exercise yours where you can....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 05:08 am
Bunnies everywhere...
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 05:26 am
Yeah, he DP'd it. Glad the other one died. . . it's a pain to try and keep two threads like that straight.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 05:58 am
There is no such thing as sole choice these days. You order Dover sole, and it's probably grey sole, or some other cheap flounder. Where's my choice!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 06:06 am
damn...
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 07:30 am
roverroad wrote:
I'm jumping in here a little late. But I want to give my opinion on the original post so that more people can hate me. Laughing

I do think that it should be woman's choice in the decision to have an abortion. It's a medical procedure and you just can't force a medical procedure on someone. But men should have some say in this.

It should be the man's right to give up all parental rights before the baby is born. If they don't want the baby they should have a way out of it just like women have a way out with abortions.

To the same extent, the man should have the right to deny the abortion. If the man wants the baby than the woman should have to carry it to term and than she should have the same option of giving up her parental rights.

I agree with Roverroad on this.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 07:47 am
caprice wrote:
roverroad wrote:
If the man wants the baby than the woman should have to carry it to term ...

On the other parts of your post, no comment.

On this part of your post I strongly disagree.

I'm with caprice on this point. It seems very paleolithic and incredibly phallocentric. In theory, I don't disagree with everything roverroad posted, but this particular thought is a real bugbear for me.
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 07:50 am
bookmark
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 07:58 am
I would like to encourage anyone arguing about this to instead spend their time and energy helping out kids who don't have parents... all the orphans who could use a big brother or big sister, or a foster home.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 08:04 am
He has the choice to use a condom.
it's simple and effective.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 08:12 am
It's a matter of responsibility. If a woman happens to get pregnant, it is her right to end the pregnancy or to keep it. It is also the man's right to either be a parent to the baby or not.

Should a man decide that the pregnancy is unwanted, he should be allowed to walk away with no further responsibilty as it's the woman's decision to keep the baby.

It is also the right of the man to be the father of the baby. Should the woman keep the preganancy to term, she should have no right to keep the man away from the baby (barring circumstances of rape or violence or abuse).

Should a woman decide to have an abortion, there is little a man can do about it. That's sad, but it's also that way it is.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 11:53 am
Your priorities are all messed up. Only a fool would stop working not to pay child support. We all have responsibilities we are forced to paying for, but a child is more than a bill.

A man can choose to refrain from having sex or he can assume control of birthcontrol.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 12:19 pm
Ceili wrote:
Your priorities are all messed up. Only a fool would stop working not to pay child support. We all have responsibilities we are forced to paying for, but a child is more than a bill.

A man can choose to refrain from having sex or he can assume control of birthcontrol.

leaving the woman free of responsibility?
0 Replies