Please edit My Story in New York, a short passage a time

oristarA

Reply Sun 21 Apr, 2013 09:58 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

easy enough - you're doing oristarA no favours by letting him/her think that his/her translations of the descriptions of women's clothing are acceptable

now, back to the real world

Thanks for reminding me to stay in reality. Smile
I stand corrected.
Waiting for your instruction.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2013 09:11 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

oristarA wrote:
Unexpectedly, the outfit proved worse than that of the previous day. More poeple stared at me. Every foreigner who passed by me looked at me with strange light. A Chinese man stared at me all the way.

This outfit was worse than yesterday's. Even more people stared at me.

Every (foreigner - do you mean New Yorkers or tourists?) who passed me looked at me with an odd expression.

A (how does she know he is Chinese versus Chinese-American?) man stared at me for the whole trip.

I like "yesterday's." Good expression.
It mainly refers to non-Chinese in New York.
Her intuition told her (well, I'd ask her. Because sometimes we cannot recognize Japanese or S Koreans from Chinese) Very Happy
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2013 09:31 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

oristarA wrote:
they also warned me to avoid meeting other people's eyes or talking to them casually; I should stand with my back to walls in subway to prevent being pushed into rails; not to grab seats onboard to avoid quarrels; not onboard a subway box with less people (the more people the safer); waiting for subway or taxi in crowded places; not to kill time outside but better go home before darkness fall; and if too late at night, take a taxi but not subway...

My Chinese friends also warned me to avoid looking other people in the eye and to avoid making conversation with strangers. I was told that I should stand with my back to the wall while waiting for the subway on the platform so that I wouldn't be pushed onto the tracks/rails. I was told not to grab seats on the subway, not to get on empty subway cars, to wait for taxis in subways only where there were other people. I was also told to go home before it got dark out, and to take a taxi rather than the subway if it was late at night.

(her friends sure are a nervous bunch)

It was a tradgic advice to her in my ears as well. Very Happy

Looks like to translate based on Chinese text is very dangerous. I feel to be bombarded by your suggestions EhBeth.

oristarA

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 03:00 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

oristarA wrote:
Isn't there fashion weeks in New York? Isn't America tolerable? Why has it become so special for me?

Doesn't New York have a Fashion Week? Isn't America tolerant? What is so special about me?

Cool!
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 03:01 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

oristarA wrote:
Bent over, I hurried back to my residence. Oh, have pity on my neck and back! Since I arrived at America, they have never straightened up.

Looking down, I rushed home.

Pity my neck and back. Since I arrived here, I have never stood straight up.

Wow, simple and wonderful.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 03:04 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

oristarA wrote:
If you inquired me why I could not have thrown my head high and strode in streets, I'd tell you that many of my Chinese fellows warned me not to make myself a spotlight but pay more attention to my safety;

If you ask me why I couldn't hold my head high and walk proudly in the street. I would tell you that many of my Chinese friends warned me to pay attention to my safety and not make a target of myself.

I wonder "in the street" would imply a particular street. Streets refer to any streets.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 04:46 am
@JTT,
Sporting clothes refers to clothes that wear in sports.
@ehBeth,
Jacket:
http://www.quantumadventures.co.za/uploaded_images/Dry_lite_jacket.jpg
ehBeth

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 05:13 am
just checking in quickly before I leave for the day

I will try to come back during the day to talk about a couple of details.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 11:09 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
Sporting clothes refers to clothes that wear in sports.

Sporting clothes refers to clothes that are worn [wear] in sports.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 11:11 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
Looks like to translate based on Chinese text is very dangerous.

It is, Ori, very dangerous. You seem to use English better when you are "freestyling". Mother tongue interference is very strong, especially for those whom learn a new language by grammar translation.
0 Replies