Please edit My Story in New York, a short passage a time

oristarA

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 07:50 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Before going abroad, my friends in China told me that when abroad you must change your dress [see 1] everyday lest people there think mistakenly that you stay out all night.

1. I'd opt for 'clothes' over 'dress', Ori. 'dress' sounds like a woman's dress.

So I've strictly stuck sticked [see 2] to the advice.

2. Or "rigidly adhered"

In the few days past, I've never dressed in [see 3] worn the same clothing going to [the or my] office for two days in a row.

3. 'dressed' would work too but you absolutely need the preposition 'in'.

However, my wardrobe is limited [just a handful of clothes] and I cannot afford to change to clean clothes [a different dress] each day.

I had to [really think /rack my brain to make a difference [don't quite understand what you wan to say here].

Well, as a result I have had to face the music [wrong idiom, I think].

Indeed she is a woman (I cannot imagine "she" can be used to denote a man.)

The version edited:

(2) Before going abroad, my friends in China told me that when abroad you must change your clothes everyday lest people there think mistakenly that you stay out all night. So I've strictly stuck to the advice. In the few days past, I've never worn the same clothing going to my office for two days in a row. However, my wardrobe is limited and I cannot afford to change to clean clothes each day. I had to rack my brain to make things look different. Well, as a result, I had to face the music.

EhBeth used the idiom, too. I don't know why it is improper here, JTT.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 07:50 pm
@oristarA,
I dressed all in black yesterday. I noticed a lot of people looking at me on the subway as I travelled to work in the morning. I'm shy by nature, trying to blend into the crowd wherever I go so I wondered what was wrong.

I looked down to check out my outfit (you're missing part of her clothes so I'll wait for the full details ... so it can be described in the right sequence ... it matters to women - is she wearing blouse with pants? sweater with skirt? dress? jumper? you've got a description of a coat and accessories but not the actual clothes). O.K., I was dressed all in black, but did people have to stare at me?

<the next part has some problems ... she is the foreigner ... people aren't usually coming back from funerals in the morning - they are going to them>

why repeat the staring/looking thing three times in one short paragraph?

I was puzzled by their reaction and became quite anxious, but more anxiety followed later.

(I'm debating between anxious/anxiety and distressed/distress ... it will depend on how the rest of the story goes)
ehBeth

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 07:53 pm
@oristarA,
I bolded the parts you still need to improve if you want it to seem more like it was written by an English speaker

oristarA wrote:

(2) Before going abroad, my friends in China told me that when abroad you must change your clothes everyday lest people there think mistakenly that you stay out all night. So I've strictly stuck to the advice. In the few days past, I've never worn the same clothing going to my office for two days in a row. However, my wardrobe is limited and I cannot afford to change to clean clothes each day. I had to rack my brain to make things look different. Well, as a result, I have had to face the music.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 08:00 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
I've not translated the whole story, but a passage a time.

I haven't translated the whole story. I'll present one passage at a time.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 08:01 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
(I cannot imagine "she" can be used to denote a man.)

You'd be surprised, Ori, tho' admittedly it's not common.

Before I do anymore, let me try to tell you what I'm attempting to do. I could rewrite this and polish all to hell, but I don't think that would help you much. What I'm doing is offering advice and then letting you run with it, writing it as much as possible in your own words.

Quote:
The version edited:

(2) Before going abroad, my friends in China told me that when abroad you must change your clothes everyday lest people there think mistakenly that you stay out all night.

So I've strictly stuck to the advice.

In the few days past, I've never worn the same clothing going to my office for two days in a row. However, my wardrobe is limited and I cannot afford to change to clean clothes each day. I had to rack my brain to make things look different. Well, as a result, I had to face the music.

EhBeth used the idiom, too. I don't know why it is improper here, JTT.

Not "improper" per se, Ori. I just thought it was a bit much for the situation.

0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 08:03 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

(3) Yesterday I dressed up in black going out. In the early morning subway I found there [was always a meaningful look around at me] were many people who looked my way/at me.

I was am a shy girl by nature, longing to be unnoticed (best to be invisible) everywhere I go.

But what's wrong with these people? I lowered my head to check out my dress: black choker and vest, black necklace, black silk wind coat, black stockings, black high-heel leather shoes and a black backpack.

Well, I had to admit that I was [a] "super black;" but was [or is] it necessary for someone to stare at me? Did the foreigners think that I just came back from a funeral and showed some sympathy for me? Well, even so did it require so many people staring at me? I was bewildered and got quite yu men that day, "yu men" being stressful; but, more "yu men" followed after.

I don't have the foggiest notion what 'yu men' means.

Thank you JTT.
It is already explained in the text: "yu men" means "stressful" in Chinese Pinyin.
JTT

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 08:05 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
Thank you JTT.
It is already explained in the text: "yu men" means "stressful" in Chinese Pinyin.

See how important it is to read something. Embarrassed
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 08:07 pm
@oristarA,
The author became stressful?

She caused stress to others?

I don't think that's the intention - but that is the result of your translation.
JTT

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 08:12 pm
@ehBeth,
I was bewildered and got quite stressed out/stressed [choice depends on register] that day, ["yu men" being stressful]; but, more stress/stressful times followed after.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 08:18 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

I dressed all in black yesterday. I noticed a lot of people looking at me on the subway as I travelled to work in the morning. I'm shy by nature, trying to blend into the crowd wherever I go so I wondered what was wrong.

I looked down to check out my outfit (you're missing part of her clothes so I'll wait for the full details ... so it can be described in the right sequence ... it matters to women - is she wearing blouse with pants? sweater with skirt? dress? jumper? you've got a description of a coat and accessories but not the actual clothes). O.K., I was dressed all in black, but did people have to stare at me?

<the next part has some problems ... she is the foreigner ... people aren't usually coming back from funerals in the morning - they are going to them>

why repeat the staring/looking thing three times in one short paragraph?

I was puzzled by their reaction and became quite anxious, but more anxiety followed later.

(I'm debating between anxious/anxiety and distressed/distress ... it will depend on how the rest of the story goes)

She's dressed in a trench coat (as you've pointed out according to the picture). The coat has a choker (a high tight collar). She didn't describ her pants. But surely the trench coat covered her well enough (people can only spot her black stockings).

About the funeral guessing, she's wrong according to you.

I'll translate the (4) and following passages tonight, not night. Got to do other works.

PS. I am very puzzle as the writer was: Why did New Yorkers look at her so meaningfully, EhBeth? Would you like to give a possible answer?

My guess is that she looked like a black jade, which implies a whore in English.

ehBeth

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 08:34 pm
@oristarA,
a choker is a type of necklace
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 08:37 pm
@oristarA,
Dressing all in black is normal for women in the North American business world in cities like New York and Toronto. There are a lot of jokes about it.

I used to work with a woman whose husband joked that you needed a miner's helmet to look into her closet (everything in it was black).
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 06:37 am
@oristarA,
(4) No new clothes for me to change today, I picked out a bell-bottoms with strong Chinese style. One side of the trousers was embroidered with a golden-threaded phoenix. I wore a black short coat outside a chiffon short sleeved shirt frilled with lotus. Unexpectedly, the outfit proved worse than that of the previous day. More poeple stared at me. Every foreigner who passed by me looked at me with strange light. A Chinese man stared at me all the way. I almost went broken down. Am I so peculiar compared to the surrounding American people who wore the same sporting clothes: jeans and jackets? I have been a hick in China for three decades, how can I become a peculiarly fashionable spokeswoman of this international metropolis? Isn't there fashion weeks in New York? Isn't America tolerable? Why has it become so special for me?
oristarA

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 07:04 am
@oristarA,

(5) Bent over, I hurried back to my residence. Oh, have pity on my neck and back! Since I arrived at America, they have never straightened up. If you inquired me why I could not have thrown my head high and strode in streets, I'd tell you that many of my Chinese fellows warned me not to make myself a spotlight but pay more attention to my safety; they also warned me to avoid meeting other people's eyes or talking to them casually; I should stand with my back to walls in subway to prevent being pushed into rails; not to grab seats onboard to avoid quarrels; not onboard a subway box with less people (the more people the safer); waiting for subway or taxi in crowded places; not to kill time outside but better go home before darkness fall; and if too late at night, take a taxi but not subway...
ehBeth

Reply Sun 21 Apr, 2013 09:54 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
frilled with lotus.

what does this mean?
ehBeth

Reply Sun 21 Apr, 2013 09:57 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
No new clothes for me to change today, I picked out a bell-bottoms with strong Chinese style. One side of the trousers was embroidered with a golden-threaded phoenix. I wore a black short coat outside a chiffon short sleeved shirt

Today I wore a short black coat over bell-bottoms with a golden phoenix embroidered on one side and a short-sleeved chiffon blouse
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 21 Apr, 2013 10:07 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

oristarA wrote:
frilled with lotus.

what does this mean?

Brims were embroidered with lotus patterns.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 21 Apr, 2013 10:17 am
@oristarA,
Brims are found on hats, not shirts or blouses.
oristarA

Reply Sun 21 Apr, 2013 11:00 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Brims are found on hats, not shirts or blouses.

Well, edges (of the clothes)were embroidered with lotus patterns?
Ceili

Reply Sun 21 Apr, 2013 11:39 am
@oristarA,
The hem of the pants or blouse.