21
   

What do you believe is true, but cannot prove?

 
 
roger
 
  1  
Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2013 01:42 pm
@igm,
igm wrote:

That the USA is harmed far more by the 'right to keep and bear arms' in the form of assault rifles than the protection afforded by them... It makes those who lobby for them seem uncivilized and in the eyes of the world it makes the USA less civilized because of it.


Best example yet of a belief that you cannot prove.
igm
 
  1  
Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2013 01:42 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
Moment-in-Time wrote:

How did you come into being?! Eh?!

The body came into being but don't you say 'This is 'my' body'. Prove you are your body and you're onto a winner... you can believe it's true but can you prove it? Mickey shouldn't be 'rubbished' for stating his/her views as there are views which do not back up your stated view.

igm
 
  1  
Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2013 01:47 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

igm wrote:

That the USA is harmed far more by the 'right to keep and bear arms' in the form of assault rifles than the protection afforded by them... It makes those who lobby for them seem uncivilized and in the eyes of the world it makes the USA less civilized because of it.


Best example yet of a belief that you cannot prove.

One tries to do one's best.. Wink
roger
 
  1  
Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2013 01:54 pm
@igm,
You did good! Sincerely.
0 Replies
 
Moment-in-Time
 
  1  
Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2013 02:07 pm
@igm,
Quote:
The body came into being but don't you say 'This is 'my' body'.


True, once born, we are independent of our creators, but to pretend our existence did not come about as a result of others in the Universe is simply ridiculous. All humans are an extension of each other.....mitochondrial DNA proves all modern humans have a common ancestor.
Frank Apisa
 
  1  
Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2013 02:11 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
Quote:
True, once born, we are independent of our creators, but to pretend our existence did not come about as a result of others in the Universe is simply ridiculous. All humans are an extension of each other.....mitochondrial DNA proves all modern humans have a common ancestor.


It is NOT ridiculous. And you may be living in an illusion which tricks you into thinking the stuff you are so sure you KNOW.

I ask the question I asked earlier in a revised form:

How do you know that you and everything around you...did not come into existence just a moment ago...complete with all its history and memories?
rosborne979
 
  3  
Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2013 02:15 pm
(note to self: never again start a thread with the word "believe" in the title)
0 Replies
 
Moment-in-Time
 
  1  
Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2013 02:17 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

How do you know that you and everything around you...did not come into existence just a moment ago...complete with all its history and memories?


I can very well understand that! I could also be living in a Parallel Universe. I deal with the world I believe I know. Outside of that, anything is possible.
igm
 
  1  
Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2013 02:25 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
Moment-in-Time wrote:

Quote:
The body came into being but don't you say 'This is 'my' body'.


True, once born, we are independent of our creators, but to pretend our existence did not come about as a result of others in the Universe is simply ridiculous. All humans are an extension of each other.....mitochondrial DNA proves all modern humans have a common ancestor.

Not the point I was making... it was more about the 'I' as opposed to the body. I was talking more about how 'everything' began and how it may not have... this is far from provable i.e. how life, the universe and everything began or is begingless or is just and illusion outside of space and time Smile
Frank Apisa
 
  1  
Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2013 02:26 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
Quote:


I can very well understand that! I could also be living in a Parallel Universe. I deal with the world I believe I know. Outside of that, anything is possible.


Good answer. In fact, great answer.

But you should then realize that what Mikey was saying is not ridiculous...and your analysis of "where we come from" MAY not be accurate.
Frank Apisa
 
  1  
Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2013 02:28 pm
@igm,
Quote:
Not the point I was making... it was more about the 'I' as opposed to the body. I was talking more about how 'everything' began and how it may not have... this is far from provable i.e. how life, the universe and everything began or is begingless or is just and illusion outside of space and time


We agree here, igm. The truth...the REALITY...MAY BE different from what we suppose...and MAY BE different from what we are even capable of supposing.
0 Replies
 
cicerone imposter
 
  2  
Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2013 02:34 pm
@mikeymojo,
Actually, your reality is how you were able to ask about reality. If that's not you asking, who is it?
0 Replies
 
Moment-in-Time
 
  1  
Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2013 02:41 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
@Moment-in-Time,
Quote:
I can very well understand that! I could also be living in a Parallel Universe. I deal with the world I believe I know. Outside of that, anything is possible.


Frank Aspisa wrote:
Quote:
Good answer. In fact, great answer.

But you should then realize that what Mikey was saying is not ridiculous...and your analysis of "where we come from" MAY not be accurate


Anything is possible in a world of uncertainty or questionableness. You're implying I *possibly* don't live in a world of reality. Well, I like my world and think I'll stick to it. However, if you are able to convince me otherwise, here I am.....
cicerone imposter
 
  2  
Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2013 11:14 am
@Moment-in-Time,
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/imposter222/cartoon029.jpg
0 Replies
 
think rethink
 
  0  
Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2017 11:53 am
@rosborne979,
I believe that animals who cannot think, have more pleasure overall than humans.

Rather blissfully graze in the forest and be consumed by a lion without trauma,

Than control your fantasies for minty years, and be tormented by your natural death your entire life.
rosborne979
 
  1  
Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2017 06:05 am
@think rethink,
So for animals, ignorance is bliss? The fact that we are different in our knowledge is the meaning behind the metaphore of Eden and the Apple. In that story we got to "choose" our path of knowledge, but in truth we never had a choice, self awareness is what makes us what we are.
think rethink
 
  0  
Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2017 09:05 am
@rosborne979,
Hi Rose,
If animals wouldn't be extremely intelligent, they wouldn't survive their first day.

They know to recognize that water will relieve their thirst, they know how to distinguish water from other matter and know how to identify it.

They know how to dip their mouths into it,
How to command their limbs into this process.

All of that, without a single word.

It is not knowledge, it is divine intelligence.

To be an extension of this sacred energy, not obscured by the virtual world of sign, signal and symbol (language),

This is bliss.

Now, regarding choice.

Choice doesn't exist,

Will does exist, but not human will,

The same with thought,
Human thought does not exist,
It only exists as sound, like a language unknown to you, sounds to you.

The synthetic counterfeit virtual human, the ego, which is the thought itself,
To this concept,
Thought exists and nothing else actually.

Thought is what the human being isn't and cannot be.

if the word "I" , would have meant what it is supposed to mean, it would imply a statement.
I, the statement . loves you.

this is just an example, language cannot mean what it means, let alone "be" what it means.
it is synthetic existence only.

Will represents a single isolated idea,
Therefore, the emotion within the idea wants, not the human being.

To be clear,
Emotion is man made material, it is not the human being itself,
Emotion is the bi-product of words taken literally, beyond their intended utility.

The will to win for instance, is an evolving emotion,
at the stage of longing, it gravitates towards fulfillment (fulfillment of the emotional ego, not fulfillment of the human beings needs).

At the stage of fulfillment, it resumes towards worry (so that this particular emotional ego, continues to survive through consuming consciousness through attention.

It never settles down in the present moment, because it will be exposed as counterfeit existence.

It therefore keeps digging in the non existent future, where nothing exists to alert the authorities and give the emotion direct consciousness instead of synthetic mental awareness.

Choice, is the misconception of multiple contradicting ideas fighting (and the one with the most emotional impact,
always Winning) Wrongly Perceived as a single mind deciding.

But the mind is only the basket hosting a billion competing agendas (individual, micro minds).

It's like a community, a country, a world of individuals, arch enemies of each other.

It therefore is not a chosen decision,
But an individual ego's victory among a divided, fragmented ego population.
rosborne979
 
  1  
Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2017 09:49 am
@think rethink,
You have a knack for over-complicating the simple, and obscuring the obvious.
0 Replies
 
cicerone imposter
 
  1  
Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2017 10:01 am
@think rethink,
It's strange that beyond your thesis, most societies in the world seems to be working just fine.
think rethink
 
  1  
Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2017 06:10 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Hi cicerone.

It seems (to you), and I wish that you guessed properly.
But have you examined yourself pound for pound?

How many pounds of hatred, for a pound of love?

How much anxiety and unease, for a glimpse of peace?

How much suffering for how much joy?

If you got the majority positive,
I truly envy you and congratulate you.

I'm not being negative,
Being positive doesn't mean to deny the facts.
I know of a beautiful positive life accessible to all,
I'm being positive through choosing an alternative that is self evident despite its radical appearance when compared to today's the status quo.
 

Related Topics

How can we be sure? - Discussion by Raishu-tensho
Proof of nonexistence of free will - Discussion by litewave
morals and ethics, how are they different? - Question by existential potential
Destroy My Belief System, Please! - Discussion by Thomas
Star Wars in Philosophy. - Discussion by Logicus
Existence of Everything. - Discussion by Logicus
Is it better to be feared or loved? - Discussion by Black King
 
Copyright © 2022 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 05/18/2022 at 12:03:12