My comedic hero, Jonathan Winters, is gone.

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 11:15 am
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/13/arts/television/jonathan-winters-comedian-dies-at-87.html?emc=na&_r=0

He inspired so much of what I did as a comic/songwriter/scamp.

No one else could take a box of common items and improvise an entire evening of really funny stuff.

Good night, Jonathan.

Joe(you were the best)Nation

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 11:21 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

He inspired so much of what I did as a comic/songwriter/scamp.

I never knew you were a scamp. Razz
Quote:
No one else could take a box of common items and improvise an entire evening of really funny stuff.

((cough cough)) Carrot Top would beg to differ and so would I.

Although I never was a true fan of Jonathan Winters, he was indeed perfect for his role in It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World.

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 11:26 am
@Joe Nation,
Back when I first met you and you introduced yourself as Jonathan...I remember asking you, "Well, what do people call you." You said, "Jonathan. That's my name."

My thoughts at that time were (keeping in mind you were a tad heavier): This guy must be a Jonathan Winters fan, because he reminds me of him.

Anyways...I always think of him in It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 11:27 am
@Joe Nation,
WOW, even though hed been out of the picture for years he remains a giant in comedy.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 11:35 am
@Joe Nation,
I feel the same about him. Such a loss. May he rest in Peace.

I used to watch him on the Jack Paar Tonight Show a lot. He greatly influenced my idea of what funny is and my type of humor, too. Same is true of Carlin, Bill Cosby and Smothers Brothers.

And speaking of Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World: another of my faves from the movie was Ernie Kovacs. Ask Letterman and many of the modern comedian how much they copied him
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 11:43 am
@Ragman,
The line from that clip, "We're gonna have ta kill him" may be the funniest line ever in films. I think that was Arnold Stangg. Every time I hear the line...my sides split.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 11:52 am
Without Jonathan Winter's appearances on the Tonight Show in the 1960's, there would be no Carrot Top. There would be no Robin Williams. There would be no Second City Players. There would have never been a show like "Whose Line is It?? (And I think if you asked them, they'd agree.)

In the midst of the careers of some really great comics, Mort Sahl, Bob Newhart, Bill Cosby and others, Jonathan Winters could crack up a room merely by walking to the microphone and grinning. They had routines, he just pulled comedy down from the rafters and out of his back pocket.

It was his odd view of the world that he placed before us as true and then dared us to not to laugh.

~~
not to brag. but at one point in my musical career, I did something called "Your Song in a Minute" . Audience members got to pick the subject, the style (folkie/pop/rock and roll) and the key. Three verses minimum.

There may be some places in California and Texas where faded posters with my face on them still cling to telephone poles and wooden fences with the words "have you seen this scamp?" on them.

Joe(don't turn me in)Nation
ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 12:05 pm
@Joe Nation,
Sorry I missed ya at one of those shows, Jon.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 12:29 pm
@Joe Nation,
In a fairly recent somewhat rambling interview (see Youtube on Jonathan Winters), he talks in depth about what was involved with making of the movie. He had been recently been released from an extended stay at a sanitarium for severe Bipolar or Manic Depression issues. he also talks about very interesting relationship with Stanley Kramer, the producer, and one of the other well-known actors

I'll post the link here:

0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 01:09 pm
I agree. His role in Mad Mad World is unforgettable.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 01:20 pm
I loved dat guy. I smile just thinking about him. And It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World immediately came to mind. Loved him. The world has lost some laughter.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 02:56 pm
What every one else has already said. A one-of-a-kind innovator.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 03:38 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

Without Jonathan Winter's appearances on the Tonight Show in the 1960's, there would be no Carrot Top. There would be no Robin Williams. There would be no Second City Players.

Hold on there a second. First of all, a world without Carrot Top would, in my opinion, be a much better place. Secondly, Winters and Second City developed at around the same time -- I don't see any reason to think that either one influenced the other. Winters, despite his innovative style, was still, in the end, a stand-up comic, whereas Second City has always emphasized ensemble comedy.

I agree that Winters was good in movies such as It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World and The Russians Are Coming, the Russians Are Coming! But he was never as good in scripted performances as he was live. He used to reduce Jack Paar to tears with his improvised routines, such as this one:

ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 03:47 pm
@joefromchicago,
Oh, gee, that's good to see.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 04:02 pm
@joefromchicago,
We are in agreement re: Carrot Top.

Regarding Second City, I apologize for not remembering the sensitivity of everyone from Chicago regarding ANYTHING that comes from Chicago. Heh heh..
It was a time of massive changes for comedy and the influence of a number of comics doing improv (Nicolas and May come to mind) were all part of the movement.

Thanks for the perfect clip.

Joe(it fits my memory.)Nation

IRFRANK

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 04:33 pm
Winters. A true genius. Showed so many greats how its done.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 05:12 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

I feel the same about him. Such a loss. May he rest in Peace.

I used to watch him on the Jack Paar Tonight Show a lot. He greatly influenced my idea of what funny is and my type of humor, too. Same is true of Carlin, Bill Cosby and Smothers Brothers.

And speaking of Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World: another of my faves from the movie was Ernie Kovacs. Ask Letterman and many of the modern comedian how much they copied him

What about Steve Allen?
Joe Nation

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 06:18 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
What about Steve Allen?

He's dead too.

A great comedian, the rare combination of a straight man who could play the oddball when needed.

Joe(he surrounded himself with the best comics he could find)Nation
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 09:12 pm
@Joe Nation,
I loved the characters Winters created--like Maude Frickert and Elwood P. Suggins--and his superb gift for improvisation. He was a funny, funny man.

Even reading his obit in the NY Times had me laughing, just being reminded of those characters, and not too many obits provoke laughter. That he leaves such happy, and lasting, memories with his fans is a real tribute to him and his comedic gifts.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 09:47 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:

And speaking of Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World: another of my faves from the movie was Ernie Kovacs

I used to faithfully watch Kovacs on his daily morning show. I was actually a card-carrying member of the Early Eyeball Fraternal and Marching Society. When he died in an auto accident I cried and cried as though I had lost a close friend. What a briliant, innovative, creative talent he was.

0 Replies