My comedic hero, Jonathan Winters, is gone.

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 08:46 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
Regarding Second City, I apologize for not remembering the sensitivity of everyone from Chicago regarding ANYTHING that comes from Chicago. Heh heh..

Damn straight!

Joe Nation wrote:
It was a time of massive changes for comedy and the influence of a number of comics doing improv (Nicolas and May come to mind) were all part of the movement.

Nichols and May.
farmerman

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 10:14 am
@joefromchicago,
Second city is where most improv owes its big time funniness. They celebrated the irony and "details" of lives and events gone wrong. Winters was really one of the last of the vaudevillian style, but Second City was the beginning of the new ages of comedy.

Count Floyd was my hero.

Why did GuyCabellero always appear in a wheel chair and noone ever explained his illness.
The SChmenge Brothers are not to be forgotten
WAs second city more CAnadian than US?

Jonathan Winters humor, sad to say, does not store well over the years. His comedy is very dated. I man, when it came to improv, he probably saw red whenever Robin Williams was on stage. The master (Winters) must always yield to his student (Williams)
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 10:39 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Why did GuyCabellero always appear in a wheel chair and noone ever explained his illness.
The SChmenge Brothers are not to be forgotten
WAs second city more CAnadian than US?

That's Second City - Toronto. It's an outpost of Second City, and they've shared talent on occasion, but they're separate entities.
farmerman

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 10:42 am
@joefromchicago,
r mind. They were the funny ones to me. Whos this Second City from Chicago? They ever done anything?
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 11:05 am
@joefromchicago,
Nice recent interview with Nichols and May here.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2013/01/nichols-and-may-reunion-exclusive
0 Replies