What does "cookie trail" mean?

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 11:12 am

Context:
There have been no reports of evacuations at the capital, Pyongyang, or of a marked increase in air raid and evacuation drills that would be expected in a build up to war, Hardy said. And North Korean transport routes, train stations and road traffic have all been normal, showing none of the "cookie trail of logistics" that would point to war, Hardy said.

More:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/04/10/south-korea-cyberattack/2069765/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 883 • Replies: 6
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
tsarstepan
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 11:34 am
@oristarA,
I think the author of said piece is trying to coin a phrase (and doing so poorly) or mistakenly paraphrasing a turn of phrase similar to "paper trail" which links two separate ideas or events with clear and obvious evidence.

As a metaphor, it's also trying to touch on the phrase "breadcrumb trail" (which is the fairy tale term/metaphor used to describe how Hansel and Gretal to uselessly leave a trail of crumbs of bread on the ground in order to help them from keep getting lost and find they're way back to home).

The sentiment that the author is making is that there isn't enough proof to make the statement that the country's infrastructure was built on the sole purpose of supporting a war with South Korea.

I think the author is implying that all the political huff and puff and hot air that the North Korean government/dictatorship is presently spouting off right now is nothing but a bit of belligerent bluff.
roger

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 11:37 am
@oristarA,
They probably meant bread crumbs.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 11:59 am
@tsarstepan,
Tsar, very impressive, thank you
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 12:39 pm
@tsarstepan,
http://able2know.org/topic/212296-1
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2013 01:03 pm
@tsarstepan,
Considering how "poorly" the writer did, Tsars, you show major understanding.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 11:08 am
@JTT,
Quote:
Tsars, you show major understanding.
Yes indeed he does Jtt, I'm continually impressed by the depth of such talent hereabout

Incidentally I thought the quote was largely okay so wondering what you found wrong with it

..that is if it's no trouble. I know how time-consuming this sort of thing can get
0 Replies